L/B locations to catch small reef species?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: L/B locations to catch small reef species?

Post by skronkman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:30 pm

Anywhere you find kelp you will likely find fish like that. So yeah, rock ledges will often be your access point when land based. Use a paternoster rig, size 1 long shank hooks and try to cast into an open sandy area near the kelp. Parrot fish, leather jacket, wrasse, etc. I know this because I actively avoid these places when fishing as I consider these species undesirable but they are often plentiful. A packet of prawns won't last 30 mins when these critters are around.

I've caught plenty of these critters around Portsea pier too, from a boat but I'd reckon you'd get them from the pier easy enough too.

You could also try off the rocks at each end of coronet bay beach, no fear of dangerous waves in mild conditions but you want to keep an eye on the tide. Also off the rocks at any of the Mornington peninsula back beaches but this is far more dangerous due to both waves and going under water at high tide.

Even a small hook and a bit of prawn dropped down by a pylon of any pier should produce small fish. Enough to amuse kids.

Have you considered chasing garfish? They are a desireable eating fish and not difficult to catch for kids with the right technique. You just have to find them and then burley to keep them around. They should be around the piers in PPB at the moment although I've only really caught them in numbers from Lorne pier although I haven't targeted them in recent times.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 pm

skronkman wrote:Anywhere you find kelp you will likely find fish like that. So yeah, rock ledges will often be your access point when land based. Use a paternoster rig, size 1 long shank hooks and try to cast into an open sandy area near the kelp. Parrot fish, leather jacket, wrasse, etc. I know this because I actively avoid these places when fishing as I consider these species undesirable but they are often plentiful. A packet of prawns won't last 30 mins when these critters are around.

I've caught plenty of these critters around Portsea pier too, from a boat but I'd reckon you'd get them from the pier easy enough too.

You could also try off the rocks at each end of coronet bay beach, no fear of dangerous waves in mild conditions but you want to keep an eye on the tide. Also off the rocks at any of the Mornington peninsula back beaches but this is far more dangerous due to both waves and going under water at high tide.

Even a small hook and a bit of prawn dropped down by a pylon of any pier should produce small fish. Enough to amuse kids.

Have you considered chasing garfish? They are a desireable eating fish and not difficult to catch for kids with the right technique. You just have to find them and then burley to keep them around. They should be around the piers in PPB at the moment although I've only really caught them in numbers from Lorne pier although I haven't targeted them in recent times.
Good call on the gars, teaches kids a bit of technique, plus keeps them occupied watching the float. The best bit is they are one of the best tasting fish around IMO, I even take them over KGW. Just between you and me they are around the south eastern PPB piers currently too.

TheLoneTurtle

Post by TheLoneTurtle » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:25 am

I have actually been trying for gars, float rigs, LOTS of burley but they are either not around or when i get them around they don't bite for some reason so i can only catch a few when i can see hundreds. WINTER is much better for gars then summer, i bagged out in winter lots but now i cant :(

Return to “General”