Distance from Oil Rigs - Gippsland

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
churchyj

Distance from Oil Rigs - Gippsland

Post by churchyj » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering what the official distance to keep away from the oil rigs are when fishing wide of Lakes? Can anyone point to any written rules? Cannot find on the net.

Regards,

Justin.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Distance from Oil Rigs - Gippsland

Post by Boonanza » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:16 pm

re-tyred (Mike) is the man to speak to I'm sure he will reply to this as soon as he sees it :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Usual exclusion zones 500m unauthorised vessels. fairly certain they have cautionary zones extending out to 5nm. Keep VHF on 16 as the rigs have radar and radio, will contact to identify the vessel and purpose in the zone.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Are you talking about the caution zone that you can still fish in?

Davidsch1

Post by Davidsch1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:35 am

It's 500m radius. On most fish finder maps, it will actually show you the exclusion zone as a red circle around it. Don't cross over into this no-go zone and you will be fine. If you do, expect a visit from the Victoria water police!!

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:44 am

yep 500 meters for small craft. The large exclusion zone is for non authorised ships
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

churchyj

Post by churchyj » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:17 pm

Thanks for that, i'll make sure we monitor 16 when out there, probably safer to do so given we will be in that area anyway. Re-Tyred, thanks for the previous PM info, fancy a run out wide for a Sword!

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:55 am

churchyj wrote:Thanks for that, i'll make sure we monitor 16 when out there, probably safer to do so given we will be in that area anyway. Re-Tyred, thanks for the previous PM info, fancy a run out wide for a Sword!
See how I am fixed for time when you are down. Weather has been crap lately. Doesn't sound good for the next week other than Saturday and I am tied up doing coast guard stuff on Saturday.

I fished in the Lake near Kalimna jetty yesterday. 8 Salmon 3 Taylor and 2 whiting off Nungurner. So worth a fish in the Lake when the weather is stopping you offshore.
Fished offshore at the 8 mile couple of days ago. 2 very large rubber lip Mowong and then the easterly chased me out of it.
Best snapper spot for me last week or so has been 7 mile SSW off Metung in 36mters. Had 9 there on the charter boat a week ago in half hour after daylight. Went quiet after that and we went flathead fishing further out, Scratched up a nice feed for the customers.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:03 pm

re-tyred wrote:
churchyj wrote:Thanks for that, i'll make sure we monitor 16 when out there, probably safer to do so given we will be in that area anyway. Re-Tyred, thanks for the previous PM info, fancy a run out wide for a Sword!
See how I am fixed for time when you are down. Weather has been crap lately. Doesn't sound good for the next week other than Saturday and I am tied up doing coast guard stuff on Saturday.

I fished in the Lake near Kalimna jetty yesterday. 8 Salmon 3 Taylor and 2 whiting off Nungurner. So worth a fish in the Lake when the weather is stopping you offshore.
Fished offshore at the 8 mile couple of days ago. 2 very large rubber lip Mowong and then the easterly chased me out of it.
Best snapper spot for me last week or so has been 7 mile SSW off Metung in 36mters. Had 9 there on the charter boat a week ago in half hour after daylight. Went quiet after that and we went flathead fishing further out, Scratched up a nice feed for the customers.
Some nice fish there

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Nice re tyred.
Sounds like you had some nice sessions there :thumbsup:

Return to “General”