Instagram

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: Instagram

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:35 am

purple5ive wrote:Thanks rb and smokin

Let's move on.

What's the benefits or purpose of having a private account on Instagram? Any Instagram gurus here want to explain.

I joined Instagram mainly so I dont get so many friend requests on Facebook. This way whoever wants to follow can follow without having to request permission first. I feel a private account is almost similar to facebook friend request?
I'm sure there's a reason though.
Cheers

I think the main reason would be to segregate content.
You could run two parallel accounts,
one private and one public.

the public : Fishing content + Sunsets that you want the world to see
The private: Pictures that may have your children/family or identifying markers of SPOT X where you saw that 50Cm Brimbo disappear into after it broke you off for the third time
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:36 am

purple5ive wrote:
mazman wrote:Privacy would be my guess Steve
Yeah besides the obvious was wondering if there was anything else.
Some of these so called private accounts have 1k plus followers surely not private account for privacy reasons if that's the case.
Still learning the ropes though

Steve, it may also be a means of selectively building a following and screening out bot accounts.
A lot of them have associated patreon accounts for content, now some of that is on the sleazy end of things.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Yeah making sense mate.

With Instagram I'm not going to bother with family pics . I'll keep that on Facebook which is why I started it in the first place. But everytime a bream pic is posted (I know I know dougie Carl and 4litres are rofl ) I get too many randoms that I dont know wanting to be my friend.
I even set my account to only accept friend of friend request (the highest you can set it to) but still get too many for my liking.

So I figured Instagram.was the way out. Everyone can follow. But then again if your after numbers to show off an open account wont work because people just come look and leave.
Once it's a private account you have to ask permission so you automatically have to follow.

Many theories. Will have to suss it out eventually. For now I'm just posting everything I have previously posted on my fb page.
Already got some wanker trying to send me a personal message . Zero followers and zero posts .

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:13 pm

purple5ive wrote:But everytime a bream pic is posted (I know I know dougie Carl and 4litres are rofl ) I get too many randoms that I dont know wanting to be my friend.
Almost entirely men with pointy shoes?

On a completely unrelated note, you know what's got my wound up at the moment? Generic fishing content in content specific fishing groups. "Land based fishing Mornington Peninsula" and the admin is posting from his boat. "Back Road fishing Australia" and there's docklands breaming going on. Driving me freaking insane.

I use instagram specifically to watch dogs and perve.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:03 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
purple5ive wrote:Thanks rb and smokin

Let's move on.

What's the benefits or purpose of having a private account on Instagram? Any Instagram gurus here want to explain.

I joined Instagram mainly so I dont get so many friend requests on Facebook. This way whoever wants to follow can follow without having to request permission first. I feel a private account is almost similar to facebook friend request?
I'm sure there's a reason though.
Cheers

I think the main reason would be to segregate content.
You could run two parallel accounts,
one private and one public.

the public : Fishing content + Sunsets that you want the world to see
The private: Pictures that may have your children/family or identifying markers of SPOT X where you saw that 50Cm Brimbo disappear into after it broke you off for the third time
One thing I find astonishing is the fact that people post pictures of their children on social media without any privacy settings etc I don't like photos of myself being posted without permission children etc have no access to consent when proud parents unwittingly share pictures for anyone to view.

As for fishing spots theres no secret spots anymore some areas receive less pressure than others. If you want that to stay that way be cryptic with your posts and pics even to friends and family.

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:48 pm

DougieK wrote: I use instagram specifically to watch dogs and perve.
I don't post dogs, but you're welcome to come have a perve

Steve I think the closed accounts are trying to play on curiosity and the want what you can't have kinda crowd. If you wanna know why they have x amount of followers you need to follow first.

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:24 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:09 pm
Got into it eventually..

https://www.instagram.com/purple5ive_captures/

atm everything i am posting is all old content thats mostly on my facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Purple5iveCaptures/

i will eventually make a call as to wether i shut down the facebook page due to all the b******* pay for view schemes...
What do you think of it so far purpy? People have told me there is a lot less drama as opposed to facebook...any ideas why it is less volatile?
Cheers
#Team Bender
#wouldfknsoongetfknsickoffknhashtaggingthef**koutofeverything

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Just to add to the private account stuff

I have mine set to private because i dont need all the repost accounts following and taking my stuff with a slight crop and posting it as their own pictures of stuff around town i take and upload, it got to the point i just started issueing copyright infringments with a press of a button on my keyboard so now i only use instagram for following a few tech channel posts and some fishing stuff.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:17 pm

April Fool wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:24 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Got into it eventually..

atm everything i am posting is all old content thats mostly on my facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Purple5iveCaptures/

i will eventually make a call as to wether i shut down the facebook page due to all the b******* pay for view schemes...
What do you think of it so far purpy? People have told me there is a lot less drama as opposed to facebook...any ideas why it is less volatile?
Cheers
#Team Bender
It's not too bad Jim.
Not much for people to whine about. Prefer it to facebook.

Few annoying things.

people follow you only for you to follow them back and once that's done they will unfollow you.

The adds are starting to get annoying.

Followers keep fluctuating (partly because of the first problem)

You have no idea who the people who are following you are.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:27 pm

April Fool wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:24 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Got into it eventually..

Cheers
#Team Bender
It's a bream fishos paradise. Hash tags, insta bream fashion influencing. It's just the bomb.

Return to “General”