Trawler Fishery Changes NSW

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Trawler Fishery Changes NSW

Post by frozenpod » Thu May 03, 2018 1:15 pm

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Trawler Fishery Changes NSW

Post by re-tyred » Thu May 03, 2018 6:10 pm

I haven't studied this much. I do know from being on a couple of commercial fishers closed pages, that the commercial fishers are not keen on this whole thing. What is happening national wide is that all commercial marine operations are being taken away from the states and put into commonwealth hands. Already commercial skippers tickets are now controlled out of Canberra by AMSA instead of being state based. My commercial ticket is now an AMSA ticket instead of a Victorian ticket from TSV. Fisheries has been controlled by AFMA outside of state limits and soon state limits will be taken away from the states.
One thing I do know is that trawling with bobbins gear in waters less than 100mtrs deep does not work well. Shallow water trawling using "doors" to spread the net and sweeps does not catch fish very efficiently and has not proved economic. This is why out of Lakes Entrance the majority of fish is caught by Danish Seining. It works well in shallow water and does not use heavy bobbin gear. It has always been allowed in NSW state waters and has made a comeback in resent years.
In Victoria and as far as I know NSW all trawlers with commonwealth area permits also have state permits, they choose not to work in close because their quota is more easily caught offshore and with species such as flathead they get larger fish and hence better prices fishing in deeper water. The majority of their quota species occur in deeper water.
The article seems to be a bit of a **** stir. AFMAs record in the last 20 years is to close off anything that is not fully sustainable so I would be confident under their control most commercial fishers will get less than they did before.
There is now less than 30% of the trawlers that were around in the 1990s and each year there is less.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:51 pm

This is bull ****. So many exempted rules for them may aswell so the ocean is yours do what you want with no restrictions.

They stopped professional boata fishing before the 6 or 8 mile over 10 years ago for the exact same reason and goverment spent millions buying back licences cos there wasnt enough fish in the sea pardon the pun lol.

Looks like things are screwed up again.
Why we waste tax dollars back then if they just going to change there mind now.
Does anyone know if there was a 10 or 20 year plan put back inplace when they decided to buy back licenses to change things when the plan ran out

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu May 03, 2018 8:14 pm

re-tyred wrote:I haven't studied this much. I do know from being on a couple of commercial fishers closed pages, that the commercial fishers are not keen on this whole thing. What is happening national wide is that all commercial marine operations are being taken away from the states and put into commonwealth hands. Already commercial skippers tickets are now controlled out of Canberra by AMSA instead of being state based. My commercial ticket is now an AMSA ticket instead of a Victorian ticket from TSV. Fisheries has been controlled by AFMA outside of state limits and soon state limits will be taken away from the states.
One thing I do know is that trawling with bobbins gear in waters less than 100mtrs deep does not work well. Shallow water trawling using "doors" to spread the net and sweeps does not catch fish very efficiently and has not proved economic. This is why out of Lakes Entrance the majority of fish is caught by Danish Seining. It works well in shallow water and does not use heavy bobbin gear. It has always been allowed in NSW state waters and has made a comeback in resent years.
In Victoria and as far as I know NSW all trawlers with commonwealth area permits also have state permits, they choose not to work in close because their quota is more easily caught offshore and with species such as flathead they get larger fish and hence better prices fishing in deeper water. The majority of their quota species occur in deeper water.
The article seems to be a bit of a sh*t stir. AFMAs record in the last 20 years is to close off anything that is not fully sustainable so I would be confident under their control most commercial fishers will get less than they did before.
There is now less than 30% of the trawlers that were around in the 1990s and each year there is less.
Was going to say it reads as a typical stir up the ignorants propaganda piece. Wouldn't have been written by Daniel Andrew's PR team would it?

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue May 08, 2018 1:08 pm

re-tyred wrote:I haven't studied this much. I do know from being on a couple of commercial fishers closed pages, that the commercial fishers are not keen on this whole thing. What is happening national wide is that all commercial marine operations are being taken away from the states and put into commonwealth hands. Already commercial skippers tickets are now controlled out of Canberra by AMSA instead of being state based. My commercial ticket is now an AMSA ticket instead of a Victorian ticket from TSV. Fisheries has been controlled by AFMA outside of state limits and soon state limits will be taken away from the states.
The article seems to be a bit of a sh*t stir. AFMAs record in the last 20 years is to close off anything that is not fully sustainable so I would be confident under their control most commercial fishers will get less than they did before.

Thanks for your input. I agree the article seems like a bit of **** stir but they do make a few good points which I cant see why the regulations would be removed.

As you say they are not economically viable fishing methods so why change the regulations to allow them as they might become economically viable in the future whilst having negative impacts on habitats and future fish stocks.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Tue May 08, 2018 1:10 pm

re-tyred wrote: This is why out of Lakes Entrance the majority of fish is caught by Danish Seining. It works well in shallow water and does not use heavy bobbin gear. It has always been allowed in NSW state waters and has made a comeback in resent years.
Similar to PPB Danish Seining, minimal impact on the habitat, small fish can easily escape ie sustainable whilst being economically viable.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue May 08, 2018 3:11 pm

I think the issue is larger bobbins are allowed in commonwealth water, than in state waters. They are saying when the commonwealth takes over the state limits then the larger bobbins will be allowed in the inshore waters. Till the legislation is done it is speculation. I bet that loophole will be closed pretty quick.
My personal opinion is bobbins should not be allowed anywhere. Bobbins are effectively wheels on the bottom of the net that allow them to trawl over low ridges( not big reefs) they tend to destroy the sand stone ridges and all the sponge and weed that is on them.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:07 pm

re-tyred wrote:I think the issue is larger bobbins are allowed in commonwealth water, than in state waters. They are saying when the commonwealth takes over the state limits then the larger bobbins will be allowed in the inshore waters. Till the legislation is done it is speculation. I bet that loophole will be closed pretty quick.
My personal opinion is bobbins should not be allowed anywhere. Bobbins are effectively wheels on the bottom of the net that allow them to trawl over low ridges( not big reefs) they tend to destroy the sand stone ridges and all the sponge and weed that is on them.
I think bobbins shoul be banned.
Anything that effects the ground and possible desturbs habbitats is effecting destroyojg the ecernomics of the fisheries

Return to “General”