Forum for asking Fishing Questions

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
longcaster98
Has liked: 2 times

Re: Forum for asking Fishing Questions

Post by longcaster98 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:49 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:58 am
Reddogfishing wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:17 pm
Elly27 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:00 am
Guys, any suggestions for a strong, easy and quick knot to use for my fishing hook and swivel?

I do not want to use the patternoster rig as it breaks in the center quite quickly.

Still chasing Ling, had 10 trips down at Sandridge but no luck

Thank you for the help
Agree that the paternosters break under high pressure, I started using shogun 3 way swivels, the ones with the large eye at the bottom, this way I could tie locked blood knots.
The other thing I going to experiment with this season is creating the droppers with uni knots, ie 80lb main leader line, attach 60lb and use both ends of 60lb, one for the sinker and the other for the hook. I Still have to test in on the fence first...
I caught 15kg gummy on 30lb home made paganosta rigs with 2 hooks on a row with sinker at the bottom.
All depends on your loop knots and how you tie them
I use a wired paternoster rig at the moment, I only have to tie one knot that connects mainline to the rig. And I only have to clip on the weight and hooks. And plus the fish never bite me off lmao 😂

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:55 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:59 am
Bugatti wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:31 am
Reddogfishing wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:17 pm
Elly27 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:00 am
Guys, any suggestions for a strong, easy and quick knot to use for my fishing hook and swivel?

I do not want to use the patternoster rig as it breaks in the center quite quickly.

Still chasing Ling, had 10 trips down at Sandridge but no luck

Thank you for the help
Agree that the paternosters break under high pressure, I started using shogun 3 way swivels, the ones with the large eye at the bottom, this way I could tie locked blood knots.
The other thing I going to experiment with this season is creating the droppers with uni knots, ie 80lb main leader line, attach 60lb and use both ends of 60lb, one for the sinker and the other for the hook. I Still have to test in on the fence first...

Just a question Red

I've have used three ways a few times and I seem to just tangle the rig on itself sometimes, that's using a two hook paternoster set-up. Do you have that problem or is it just my style of fishing?

Cheers, Bugs
Are your hook loops too long mate?
I don't think so smile, I make sure that the hook droppers/line are short enough that the two hooks don't meet. AND I pass the hook through its loop through the swivel twice so it tightens and sits proud and not slopy.

I got a feeling that it's the mainline swivel in conjunction with the two three-way swivels (one for each hook dropper) it seems that the weight of the swivels doesn't allow the rig to fall straight, I have even tried slowing the cast as the rig hits the water so as to lay the rig straight as it lands. But it still seems to come up tangled more than a normal rig.

Cheers, Bugatti , , , , unless it is some intelligent fish tangling the rigs intentionally to be mess'n with my head :o_0:

Elly27
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Elly27 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:28 pm

Hope you are all staying safe!

Something has told me to come back here to ask for more assistance.

I believe I have gotten onto a Rockling once but it was VERY long and because it was dark at night I only noticed it was actually a fish when
I shined my light on the fish and it got away.

Since then I have not had any encounters with Rockling. I am looking for locations that would have a probability of hooking a Rockling, also I want
the area to be non polluted as I would like to taste the Rockling that I catch.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:40 pm

Elly27 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:28 pm

I believe I have gotten onto a Rockling once but it was VERY long and because it was dark at night I only noticed it was actually a fish when

Since then I have not had any encounters with Rockling. I am looking for locations that would have a probability of hooking a Rockling, also I want

Thank you
Been awhile.
A couple of places I have caught these things has been at Hampton off the rocks and also off station pier years ago.
I have never really targeted these before.
They are usually just a by catch.
Cheers 👍🏻

Elly27

Post by Elly27 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:44 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:40 pm
Elly27 wrote:

Thank you
Been awhile.
A couple of places I have caught these things has been at Hampton off the rocks and also off station pier years ago.
Cheers 👍🏻
Sure has! My next spot I was planning on trying is Station Pier, I have never fished there, how do you fish there? Just drop it near the pylons?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:58 pm

Elly27 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:44 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:

Thank you
Been awhile.
Cheers 👍🏻
Sure has! My next spot I was planning on trying is Station Pier, I have never fished there, how do you fish there? Just drop it near the pylons?
Like I said it’s been awhile since I have fished there but I used to cast from the top right. Walk right to the end and I used to fish from the top right corner. Used to catch many other species there as well.

Elly27

Post by Elly27 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:09 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:58 pm
Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:

Thank you
Been awhile.
Cheers 👍🏻
Like I said it’s been awhile since I have fished there but I used to cast from the top right. Walk right to the end and I used to fish from the top right corner. Used to catch many other species there as well.
Okay I will try that, thank you mate

Elly27

Post by Elly27 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:01 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:

Thank you
Been awhile.
Cheers 👍🏻
Can you confirm you mean those corner here, I have never been there before sorry for the silly question. I have marked it with the red dot
Attachments
Pier.PNG
Is it this corner?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:11 pm

Elly27 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:01 pm
Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:
Lightningx wrote:
Elly27 wrote:

Thank you
Been awhile.
Cheers 👍🏻
Can you confirm you mean those corner here, I have never been there before sorry for the silly question. I have marked it with the red dot
Yep that’s the spot 😃

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:47 am

Station pier has been closed to the public for quite a whole now,and is still closed.

Return to “General”