Forum for asking Fishing Questions

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Re: Forum for asking Fishing Questions

Post by croe04 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:01 pm

FG knot definitely takes some practice, but it's gotta be the strongest mainline to leader knot out there. I'm a bit impatient so usually I use double uni for braid-leader and uni for leader to hook or swivel etc. Double uni is easy to learn, not as strong as the FG but I usually target fish like trout, flatties and pinkies so I don't need the worlds strongest knot.

Reddogfishing
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Reddogfishing » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:17 pm

Elly27 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:00 am
Guys, any suggestions for a strong, easy and quick knot to use for my fishing hook and swivel?

I do not want to use the patternoster rig as it breaks in the center quite quickly.

Still chasing Ling, had 10 trips down at Sandridge but no luck

Thank you for the help
Agree that the paternosters break under high pressure, I started using shogun 3 way swivels, the ones with the large eye at the bottom, this way I could tie locked blood knots.
The other thing I going to experiment with this season is creating the droppers with uni knots, ie 80lb main leader line, attach 60lb and use both ends of 60lb, one for the sinker and the other for the hook. I Still have to test in on the fence first...

Elly27
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Elly27 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Yeah double uni knot works great when joining main line and your leader

Uni knot looks perfect, would be good to tie when in windy conditions

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:57 pm

Reddogfishing wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:17 pm
Elly27 wrote:
Guys, any suggestions for a strong, easy and quick knot to use for my fishing hook and swivel?

I do not want to use the patternoster rig as it breaks in the center quite quickly.

Thank you for the help
Agree that the paternosters break under high pressure, I started using shogun 3 way swivels, the ones with the large eye at the bottom, this way I could tie locked blood knots.
The other thing I going to experiment with this season is creating the droppers with uni knots, ie 80lb main leader line, attach 60lb and use both ends of 60lb, one for the sinker and the other for the hook. I Still have to test in on the fence first...
Im confused? Haha

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:04 pm

Elly27 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Yes mate and when you get used to it, you can get the knot done very fast! :P

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:15 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:04 pm
Elly27 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Yes mate and when you get used to it, you can get the knot done very fast! :P
Practice makes perfect I would prefer I didn’t have to but I can’t tie 6lb-6lb in the boat in windy conditions.. might slip a curse word in the process but I get it done

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:57 pm

I can do nit once every 3 tried
So need to practice more I think

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:31 am

Reddogfishing wrote:
Elly27 wrote:

Thank you for the help

Just a question Red

I've have used three ways a few times and I seem to just tangle the rig on itself sometimes, that's using a two hook paternoster set-up. Do you have that problem or is it just my style of fishing?

Cheers, Bugs

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:58 am

Reddogfishing wrote:
Elly27 wrote:

Thank you for the help
I caught 15kg gummy on 30lb home made paganosta rigs with 2 hooks on a row with sinker at the bottom.
All depends on your loop knots and how you tie them

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:59 am

Bugatti wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:31 am
Reddogfishing wrote:
Elly27 wrote:

Thank you for the help

Just a question Red

I've have used three ways a few times and I seem to just tangle the rig on itself sometimes, that's using a two hook paternoster set-up. Do you have that problem or is it just my style of fishing?

Cheers, Bugs
Are your hook loops too long mate?

Return to “General”