Pulpit Rock Green Cape

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Deeks!

Pulpit Rock Green Cape

Post by Deeks! » Wed May 23, 2018 9:48 am

Morning,

new to this forum so greetings and pleasantries to all.

A mate and I recently travelled down the South East coast from Bateman's Bay to Lakes Entrance and we decided to stop at Green Cape for some visual delights. I had heard of the infamous Pulpit and City Rocks for the fishing but have always been unsure of how to fish there (tackle, technique, bait, etc).

After bashing the rental along the Pulpit Rock road (or lack thereof), we took in the view, landscape and took a few happy snaps.
It was approaching 4pm and after some deliberation on whether to fish (about 3.75 seconds), we decided to rig up the surf rods and have a crack for an hour or so.

We only had rigs for surf fishing so the regular paternoster rigs, star sinkers, 15 pound line using poppers and baby squid as bait.
1st cast, nice hit, 10 seconds of fighting, snagged. Eventually busted off.
Same for my mate.
We rigged up again. This time just snagged and busted off.
We mixed the casting distances from immediate drop to approx 30 meters or so in various directions with tackle apologetic results.
Sad to say, we were like fish out of water (pun intended).

It was obvious we had the wrong set up, so we decided pack it in and return after doing some research.

Hence this thread!

Wondering what the correct techniques and strategies are for fishing this area. Being out of Melbourne, this was our first time in such a spectacular spot and we don't want to make the same mistakes when and if we return.

Appreciate your expert advice and thanks in advance...

D!

russellh2
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Pulpit Rock Green Cape

Post by russellh2 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 pm

Suspend live bait under balloon - best when breeze is blowing off-shore - Google "Fishing Green Cape" also have a look at fishing the beach at Lake Womboyn - It is just around the corner from Green Cape, heading towards Melbourne

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed May 23, 2018 2:40 pm

I spend a heap of time there. Sometimes with forum members sometimes alone. Here are some reports with advice.

viewtopic.php?f=186&t=17759

viewtopic.php?f=186&t=14701
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed May 23, 2018 8:46 pm

Short answer, live baits, lures, or squidstrips under a float. It's almost a waste of time to fish the bottom. The City rock ledge works better if the wind and swell are from the north, the pulpit when it's from the south.

We've put in a hell of a lot of work here and rarely been rewarded. The walk in is pretty coomfortable, take a stupid amount of berley and start casting before sunrise.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Deeks!

Post by Deeks! » Thu May 24, 2018 12:21 pm

That's brilliant guys.... thank you.

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Thu May 24, 2018 2:57 pm

There's another platform about 300 metres to the right of Pulpit. It's good for fishing off the bottom for solid snapper and ballooning livies. Plenty of Luderick and Drummer close to the rocks, a bit of green weed under a small float will catch them. There's also heaps of squid, the down-side is, it's hard to get your livies out without being attacked by squid!

Once you've got your rods out, chuck out a metal slug for Barracoota, Salmon and Taylor, all of which can be used as dead baits or strips.

On the City Rocks side (my favorite side), there's a few small shallow coves to the left that are relatively easy to access. I've only ever caught squid there, but I've been told by some die-hard L.B. guys that the rock points off these coves are the places to be. There's a couple of very productive platforms closer to the point I've abseiled into, and I'm sure you'll find others along that side with easier cliff access.

A lot of Crays in close too. Get a pair of stockings and put a dead fish in them and throw it in, give it an hour and pull the stockings out slowly. The Cray's spines get jagged in the nylon and get stuck to the outside...you can thank me later. ;-)

Remember...TAKE HEAPS OF BERLEY...then take a bit more!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Never heard of that one but thanks for sharing the tip regarding the stockings and the Crays!
Will definitely keep that in mind if I end up down that way.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Deeks!

Post by Deeks! » Mon May 28, 2018 7:56 pm

Stockings eh??? Will have to raid the wife's drawers.... my lord the questions!!!

So, if I float or balloon, how long should my leader below be? Not sure of the depths at Pulpit

Return to “General”