Seasickness

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
sarsi

Seasickness

Post by sarsi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:28 pm

Hi everyone.

I have been out on boats about a dozen times before without any issues but about 4 weeks ago, my friend who has a 4.7m boat and I went out on a choppy day. Swell was about 1.5m and within 30 minutes I started feeling dizzy. I started throwing up for the next hour or so, until we called it quits as the waves seem to be getting bigger and the wind was howling like crazy. Worst feeling I've ever had in my life, and now just thinking about that day seems to make me dizzy already. I was feeling dizzy for about a few days after that

My questions to hhose who have experienced seasickness or knows a thing or two about it are:

1. Is seasickness an one-off experience or will I be seasick every time I go on a boat from now on?
2. Other than mint leaves that I read on another post, what other tricks do you use to battle seasickness?
3. Is it better to be standing up or sitting down when the boat is on the move in choppy waters?

Thanks a lot!

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: Seasickness

Post by Kimtown » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Yep ashamed to say I get sea sick, but only in up and down swell. Side to side chop doesnt seem to effect me.

Been stuck on 3 charters when I was much younger in big swell. 3m+. All for 8 hours or longer. Throwing up the entire time. It really is one of the worst feelings ever. Like torture. Especially when you have nothing left in you to come out and it's just repetitive dry reaching and muscle aching.

Now my boat doesnt leave the trailer without a packet of kwells in the glove box. They are magic.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:50 pm

KWELLS, night before, morning prior to boarding and if needed on the boat. this is what ive seen to work.
i dont get seasick, but i know few that do, and this works.

TheBull3478

Post by TheBull3478 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:51 pm

I grew up shark fishing with my old man, caught my first mako when i was 7 years old. I get seas sick in bath water, have done all my life, i just persevered my whole fishing life and came to the conclusion i just get sea sick and bad luck. Never stopped me going fishing.

But........ One day a guy put me onto these pills. Havent been sea sick since and that was 10 years ago.
Do yourself a favour and forget kwells and all the other bull that dose not work.
Get onto these pills

'Escape SeaSickness Pills' 1300 732 742

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Yep has happened to me before too.
Most times I go out I’m totally fine but that day the wind picked up a lot and the waves got bigger and became real choppy was throwing up over the side.
Haven’t been sick since that day and have been out many times.
Kwells works well :thumbsup:

canned_tuna
Has liked: 15 times

Post by canned_tuna » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:22 pm

Please do your homework on this, I get seasick when I fish offshore and the swell is up and I take either kwells or travacalm. Now these tablets do work but they have side effects, one being they make you drowsy and also very dry. Now if you are driving a distance say to Portland and plan on driving home the same day be wary of this as you will feel the effects of these tablets. Now my mate uses the tablets that ET promotes and these do not have the side effects that the others do, but they are also more expensive. Look up Bova tablets and have a read. Good luck on your quest to cure your sea sickness, its a p**** of a thing that majority of people get but there are ways around it.

sarsi

Post by sarsi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanks everyone for the response. It is really embarrassing and my ego took a big hit - the missus and the kids were teasing me when I got home. Happy to know that I am not alone after all :banana: :banana: :banana:

Looks like Kwells work for some, while others use special tablets from compound chemists. I think I just need to figure out what will work for me as not everyone responds the same to a specific drug. Thanks canned_tuna for the precaution about side effects - will keep that in mind.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:06 pm

It’s a rotten feeling! Definitely nothing to be embarrassed about mate! :)

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:09 pm

Depends on why you get sick.

The slow up down on a calm day on the ocean is what makes most people sick. Avil or Travelcalm original both work well for this as they work by thickening the fluid in the inner ear.

If you get sit in chop then it is a stomach problem and there is stomach soothing pills you can take.

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:29 pm

In all my boat fishing years (35+) when I lived in Sth Aust I was lucky enough to never have been or felt seas sickness,, I have had those out there with me who have had it and I really felt for them too & many fishing trips were called off before wetting a line... I was told one day to always take a few cans of ginger beer out on the boat with me for others who may start to feel (or suffer) sea sickness coming on.. I got them to drink a can of it while heading out to sea, it worked okay for them as not one of them got sick like they did on previous trips.. Like a few others have put on this forum there's several different sea sickness tablets etc available as well.. & don't be embarrassed either as it's just something that happens, hell I knew the skipper of the KI Sealink freight ferry and he was always getting sea sick..

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Return to “General”