Seasickness

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Seasickness

Post by Nude up » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:44 pm

Luckily for me the only time I have been sea sick was in westernport went out with a massive hangover never again. My daughter when she was young used to get sea sick I gave her kwells and she would sleep all day, I then gave her travelcalm and she would be wide awake and didn’t chuck.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:56 pm

Kimtown wrote:See I find kwells better for me. I tried travel calm once and still felt queezy (although wasnt sick) and got all the side effects too. Kwells work awesome for me and never give me any side effects. I take 2 at a time every few hours... I dunno if that's too much but meh, it works.
Travelcalm do give me a dry mouth which is unpleasant but nicer than vomit taste
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ango

Post by ango » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:16 pm

I find a stubby of Vic Bitter and a meat pie for breakfast before I go out works well, also a good sniff of the two stroke fumes always settles the gut if I start to feel a bit off.
Cheers
Ango.

Hosery

Post by Hosery » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:30 pm

I take a big iced coffee every morning I head out. Sip on it to the ramp and finish it off once out there. Mates recon I'm mad for drinking milk. Thank god I don't get sick and havnt ever even felt crook.

A mate of mine who always comes out with me has tried kwells, travel calm etc and don't really work he still gets sick. Than someone told him Vicks in your belly button will solve it. Think they were taking him for a ride. Anyways he gave it a go and worked for him. Didn't even spew once for a number of trips. That was until I told him that's it's to do with your inner ear and nothing to do with the Vicks it was just placebo. He now spews again without fail no matter what.
So I guess if it's in your head your going to be sick your already starting off on the wrong foot.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:59 pm

A couple of interesting methods there.

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:31 am

I'm pretty sure they have done tests before with travel calm type tablets and just plain nothing tablets on people that get sea sick.. Conclusion was it's all in your head.

I don't and never have i been sea sick but once i felt a bit off in big seas. I reckon there are a few things that set blokes off that don't usually get sea sick. If you're tired i reckon that gets it going, then thinking about feeling sick makes it worse.
Going out with someone who you don't usually go out with and it starts chopping up. Maybe something to do with stress levels or something like that.
Smoking on the boat offshore is a no no on my boat as well. It gets a couple of my deckies feeling ill.
Lastly, and i reckon its really important, is being hydrated. Plenty of water the night before and always sipping on water during the trip. This helps a lot with just feeling good in general.

Cheers, Anth

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:46 am

Pa use to say take travel calm
I think it has a lot of ginger in it

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:47 am

blacklab99 wrote:I Don't mind saying I've had the odd spit at times, don't know why, it's never been a regular event, But I'll give you some mail,
If someone else on board starts, it generally get me going. But If I ever do, it's over and done with as soon as my breckie parts company with my gut.
Funnily enough, when I'm solo, I never ever have been.
However, an ex brother in law, who always came out with me, don't know why, cause he was a dead set chucker !
He couldn't control him self, thank god for deck washers, that's all I'll say, but he was damn important in offering variety in the burley Slick, so I will be ever grateful to him for that.
Hey, it's not a big deal, better out than in, nothing to be ashamed of,
Just use your head and recycle, one man's discard, is a fish feeding frenzy, Yeah !

Col
Fresh burley never goes.astray hey lol

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:03 am

ango wrote:I find a stubby of Vic Bitter and a meat pie for breakfast before I go out works well, also a good sniff of the two stroke fumes always settles the gut if I start to feel a bit off.
Cheers
Ango.
This sounds the most logical remedy to me. What sort of pie are we talking here?...Four'n'twenty?

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:12 am

It’s gotta be a four n twenty right?

Return to “General”