Still Using Old Rods??

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Nightwish

Re: Still Using Old Rods??

Post by Nightwish » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:49 pm

l have a jarvis walker boonie doon which was the first rod l bought with my own money l think about $5 in 1971,it's a bit shorter than original as l rode my bike across the tip and broke it off.
30 -35 years ago when we used to go to the Murray on our annual Easter fishing trip l used it a lot and l thought it was great but l have tried it a couple of times in the last few years but to be honest l don't like it compared to todays rods but they are tough which is a good thing.
:cheers:

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Mattblack wrote:No, they have all been passed down to the kids. It's a bit like using an old tennis racquet or golf club...great back in the day, but cant compare them to what's available today.
i agree but nearly pulled the trigger on a snyder 12ft beach/surf rod recently

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:38 pm

The slow action definitely helps do you use these for bait fishing.
Yes, the slower action rods are great for bait fishing, you seem to get more hookups with the timid bites. Also, they are of great benefit when fishing with light line as they have more give and cushion the impact of sudden rushes.

The tubular steel spinning rod I have is fast actioned and excellent at casting light lures. The latest graphite rods are better, but not by much.

It seems from many of the posts that most of us use the older tackle for sentimental reasons but consider the old stuff inferior to contemporary gear. I think to a large degree the modern stuff is better, however, there are some old rods and reels that are just as good and in a few cases are superior.

Best Wishes

Truedogz

Return to “General”