Fresh fish prices

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Re: Fresh fish prices

Post by smile0784 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:59 am

frozenpod wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Local supermarket has fresh fillets of KGW $110/kg, flathead $106/kg and fresh mullet $80/kg.

Makes fishing for a feed of fresh fish cheap.
are you serious man?? pics or it seriously never happened :o_0:
Yes serious, they are normally $45-60 per kg here.

No pics I pointed out the price to my wife which is all the matters in justifying the cost of boat, fuel, tackle ect.
You still trying to convince Helen to let you get another boat mate?

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Nude up wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Local supermarket has fresh fillets of KGW $110/kg, flathead $106/kg and fresh mullet $80/

No pics I pointed out the price to my wife which is all the matters in justifying the cost of boat, fuel, tackle ect.
I would love to take my wife there maybe I could justify that 7 mt Haines.
Wouldn't it justify a 30footer lol.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Queasy wrote:Its much easier to justify hunting than fishing on a cost basis in my experience.

No change out of $1000 after servicing the boat and updating some fishing tackle, then after buying a ramp pass, some bait & fuel to get to ramp, all I have to bring home from the first fishing trip of the season is a few calamari.
Contrast this with the typical hunt, where above and beyond camping gear (which I had already) a fifty year old $200 rifle, some ammo and fuel will net me about $40kg of lean, organic, free range red meat most times.
On a bad day yes
On a good day no

Depends on there you go.
Some people bring home $300+ worth of fish a day.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:06 am

smile0784 wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
frozenpod wrote:Local supermarket has fresh fillets of KGW $110/kg, flathead $106/kg and fresh mullet $80/kg.

Makes fishing for a feed of fresh fish cheap.
are you serious man?? pics or it seriously never happened :o_0:
Yes serious, they are normally $45-60 per kg here.

You still trying to convince Helen to let you get another boat mate?
New race car coming soon.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:47 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Queasy wrote:Its much easier to justify hunting than fishing on a cost basis in my experience.

No change out of $1000 after servicing the boat and updating some fishing tackle, then after buying a ramp pass, some bait & fuel to get to ramp, all I have to bring home from the first fishing trip of the season is a few calamari.
Contrast this with the typical hunt, where above and beyond camping gear (which I had already) a fifty year old $200 rifle, some ammo and fuel will net me about $40kg of lean, organic, free range red meat most times.
On a bad day yes
On a good day no

Depends on there you go.
yeah but there's gonna be more than $300 (7.5kg) worth of meat on on just your average sambar I would have thought
smile0784 wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
Screenshot_20181116-092105_Facebook.jpg
This is my local fish market ...
That's rediculas and looks like there only pinkies too
you'd rather buy a full grown red by the kilo rather than a pinky?

Queasy

Post by Queasy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:21 pm

Kimtown wrote:
smile0784 wrote:

On a bad day yes
On a good day no

Depends on there you go.
yeah but there's gonna be more than $300 (7.5kg) worth of meat on on just your average sambar I would have thought
Absolutely, its more like 50kg and more often than not I do take home a sambar. What price the meat is worth is hard to say, as sambar venison is something money cannot buy. The last time I saw venison for sale (which would have been red or fallow) it was marked at $30kg, which was about 10 years ago. But using that as a rough guide you're looking at ~ $1500.

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:41 am

Went to the local mongers to get a fresh Cala and one around 35-40cm hood cost me $26.00, jeez, I miss my boat...

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 am

Trumpeter wrote:Went to the local mongers to get a fresh Cala and one around 35-40cm hood cost me $26.00, jeez, I miss my boat...

Probably still get some Cala land based though.
Bit harder to get a big red.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:53 pm

Trumpeter wrote:Went to the local mongers to get a fresh Cala and one around 35-40cm hood cost me $26.00, jeez, I miss my boat...
And it's only going to get worse, with the banning of netting in all the bays and estuaries.
Pay a premium or buy imported sewage fed mush fish.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Brett wrote:
And it's only going to get worse, with the banning of netting in all the bays and estuaries.
Pay a premium or buy imported sewage fed mush fish.
boat sales might probably go up a notch id say too..

Return to “General”