Fishranger?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Fishranger?

Post by Kimtown » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:10 pm

When did it go subscription?

Kind of annoying, because the 2nd opinion wind forecast, 7-10 days, and barometer are all subscription only now.

In saying that they provide really useful information and $40 for 12 months isn't a huge ask.

Who has subscribed, who will and who won't bother?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Fishranger?

Post by 4liters » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:24 pm

I probably will pay for the subscription. It’s a lot better than willy
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

bluewater81
Has liked: 1 time

Post by bluewater81 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:35 pm

Interesting.. which weather site do people find most accurate, they are all over the place here in VIC, hard to find a consistent one.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:42 pm

I use me
I go down and have a look at the Ramp or have a look on the Camera at St Leonards

bluewater81

Post by bluewater81 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:47 pm

It's a bit hard to see Portland from the clifton springs boat ramp, I do need to get my eyes checked though.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Interesting. Used it just the other day...might go check it out.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:37 pm

bluewater81 wrote:Interesting.. which weather site do people find most accurate, they are all over the place here in VIC, hard to find a consistent one.
Fishranger claim they are the most accurate and kind of have evidence to prove so

But they just have all the relevant info in one place. It's easy to use and it's for actual fishing spots rather than just closest town like Willy weather

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Even on an unpaid account there is enough info there for any user. You still get wind, wave, tide and air pressure forecasts for 5 days.

I doubt Fish Ranger runs on $0 expenses for the year so I don't blame them for putting a subscription in. They are the best in the business and have the most detailed forecasts.

If it's a big deal for someone they can use Willy weather and then whinge about that instead!

bluewater81

Post by bluewater81 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Kimtown wrote:
bluewater81 wrote:Interesting.. which weather site do people find most accurate, they are all over the place here in VIC, hard to find a consistent one.
Fishranger claim they are the most accurate and kind of have evidence to prove so

But they just have all the relevant info in one place. It's easy to use and it's for actual fishing spots rather than just closest town like Willy weather
Thanks mate

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:12 pm

Fishranger uses both the BoM forecast models (which are the better predictor in Australia) and the US forecast models (which are not as accurate for Australia), the BoM data costs money to access so that is where his overheads come from and one of the reasons why he's had to start the subscriptions. A lot of the free sites just use the US data because it's free but it isn't as accurate as often compared to the BoM.

The other advantage of Fishranger is the variety of locations, and as far as I know he'll add new ones if you ask - I wanted forecasts for Cape Liptrap because I was planning a trip out there in the kayak so I requested the spot and within a couple of days it had been added.

edit - just paid for the subscription. It's nice when stuff is free but I give that site a real workout so I'll be getting my moneys worth
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General”