Out through newhaven into bass straight

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Allchinoman

Out through newhaven into bass straight

Post by Allchinoman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:00 am

Hi Everyone,

Been out quite a few times on my new fishpro jetski, having some good fishing days with pinkies and whiting easy to come by out off coronet bay.

Ideally though, I'd be targeting salmon shortly and also heading out into bass straight.

Because there are not many of us jetski fisherman, I was wondering if anyone can provide some pointers of going out into bass straight through the bar/heads. I've been told to stay to the right and on low swell days there will be basically no bar to push through, but quite flat water.

If anyone is heading out there in the next month or two, I'd love to tag along next to you on my jetski, more for just ensuring I get used to the bar before tackling it alone etc. I am a decent jetskier, but I am just a safety first sort of guy.

Then, maybe I can start tackling some kingies!
Regards

Chris

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: Out through newhaven into bass straight

Post by Mattblack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:20 am

There is a group of skiers that regularly circumnavigates around Phillip Island...I think there is a Facebook group. Pretty good initiation and there is safety in numbers

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 am

Mattblack wrote:There is a group of skiers that regularly circumnavigates around Phillip Island...I think there is a Facebook group. Pretty good initiation and there is safety in numbers
I went to look at the fish pro at Peter Stevens and pretty sure it's them guys demo'ing the skis. They regularly take new models our and do laps of Philip island the bloke said.

As to your question, the eastern entrance isnt a bar crossing, its an open entrance and relatively safe *majority* of the time. Boats stick to the channel on the right hand side but can become quite choppy during the ebb with pressure waves, but on high tide and a chop free day, a ski could easily cut over the sand bar on the left and save time. Honestly, on a calm day it is pretty much risk free, especially on a ski. Just stick to the channel markers and you will be fine!

Fwiw I'm very very close to ordering a fish pro. Waiting on 2 other mates to make up their mind and hopefully they can do us an awesome deal on 3 of them.

j_pap

Post by j_pap » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:53 am

Kimtown wrote:
Mattblack wrote:There is a group of skiers that regularly circumnavigates around Phillip Island...I think there is a Facebook group. Pretty good initiation and there is safety in numbers
I went to look at the fish pro at Peter Stevens and pretty sure it's them guys demo'ing the skis. They regularly take new models our and do laps of Philip island the bloke said.

As to your question, the eastern entrance isnt a bar crossing, its an open entrance and relatively safe *majority* of the time. Boats stick to the channel on the right hand side but can become quite choppy during the ebb with pressure waves, but on high tide and a chop free day, a ski could easily cut over the sand bar on the left and save time. Honestly, on a calm day it is pretty much risk free, especially on a ski. Just stick to the channel markers and you will be fine!

Fwiw I'm very very close to ordering a fish pro. Waiting on 2 other mates to make up their mind and hopefully they can do us an awesome deal on 3 of them.
What do these fish pros go for?

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:11 am

Allchinoman wrote:
Because there are not many of us jetski fisherman, I was wondering if anyone can provide some pointers of going out into bass straight through the bar/heads. I've been told to stay to the right and on low swell days there will be basically no bar to push through, but quite flat water.

Chris
The channel is pretty well marked and we Paddle out through there often enough launching along Cleeland bight or off the back of San Remo

stay off the sand bank along the centre left it does produce surf -- I also have been looking at heading more out the front of the Island but by Kayak
we launched last Sunday through the surf at YCW ( Smiths Beach ) and headed out onto the George Kermode wreck the wind got up a bi so we pulled the pin
had no signs of fish but thats fishing
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:56 pm

j_pap wrote:
Kimtown wrote:

What do these fish pros go for?
About $22k with trailer

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Just stick to the channel and you'll be fine, there can be some pressure waves near the red marker on the runout tide, there is a narrow gap between the waves and the land I could easily get through in the kayak, or you can just plow straight through them. It can be a bit unsettled as you go past Red Point with the swell rebounding off the rocks and the current, but it wasn't bad in the kayak so you'd most likely be fine on a jetski.

If you see an old guy in a kayak wearing a Greg Chappell hat make sure you do a few burnouts around him.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Allchinoman

Post by Allchinoman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:58 pm

Thanks everyone. Sounds like it isn't a tough one. I guess I just like the idea of someone else with you out in the big waters etc.

The fish pro did wonders today trawling. I picked up about 15 salmon all around the 40cm mark out off coronet bay direct line to French island.

Going to use these for bait tomorrow as the bay should be glass!

Return to “General”