Wikipedia

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
nmgar

Wikipedia

Post by nmgar » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:55 am

I was just looking at the Wiki entries for PPB and WP and I was amazed to see they have PPB maximum depth at 24m and WP as 6m.

How could they get it so wrong and no one has made a correction.

The deepest part of part of PPB is 94m (just inside the heads; I've dived to 50m there myself}

I've never been able to find a deepest point in WP; the deepest I know of is 36m.
Cheers,
Neil

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Wikipedia

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:26 am

That's why wikipedia isn't the best source of information, since anyone can edit anything.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 am

Lol yea how could they get it so wrong?

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:09 am

nmgar wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:55 am
I was just looking at the Wiki entries for PPB and WP and I was amazed to see they have PPB maximum depth at 24m and WP as 6m.

How could they get it so wrong and no one has made a correction.

The deepest part of part of PPB is 94m (just inside the heads; I've dived to 50m there myself}

I've never been able to find a deepest point in WP; the deepest I know of is 36m.
Navionics shows channels at the rip of 70m+, so I don't doubt what you say that there is a spot somewhere at 94m. But when you zoom out and look at the whole bay, it's a big bay and it's basically 20 - 25m at it's deepest. It's a little pedantic IMO to point out tiny areas right at the entrance where it gets deeper.

Bayrock
Has liked: 34 times

Post by Bayrock » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:42 am

I ignore Wikipedia like the plague, not only a lot of incorrect information but also heavily influenced by vested interest - big media big pharma and politicians.. not neutral as it is supposed to be
Last edited by Bayrock on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

nmgar

Post by nmgar » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Aaron75 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:09 am

Navionics shows channels at the rip of 70m+, so I don't doubt what you say that there is a spot somewhere at 94m. But when you zoom out and look at the whole bay, it's a big bay and it's basically 20 - 25m at it's deepest. It's a little pedantic IMO to point out tiny areas right at the entrance where it gets deeper.

Can't agree with you Aaron about being pedantic; the deepest point is often a small area in a large body of water. The ocean's deepest point (Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench) is a tiny portion of the Pacific Ocean. Do you consider it pedantry to name it as the ocean's deepest point?
Cheers,
Neil

Aaron75

Post by Aaron75 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:15 pm

nmgar wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Can't agree with you Aaron about being pedantic; the deepest point is often a small area in a large body of water. The ocean's deepest point (Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench) is a tiny portion of the Pacific Ocean. Do you consider it pedantry to name it as the ocean's deepest point?
Nah I guess not, although the deepest point of the ocean is a point of interest rather than practicality. If somebody is going fishing in PPB and asks me how deep it gets, I'll still say about 25m. Doesn't seem much point in explaining that there is a channel right at the mouth which gets over 70m - it's a piece of useless information, and it's arguable whether it can be considered part of PPB or not. I'm not disagreeing with you though because like I said, I am sure your facts are correct.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:20 pm

Can info be added my anyone so it's opinions not fact

Aaron75

Post by Aaron75 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:30 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:20 pm
Can info be added my anyone so it's opinions not fact
Anybody can add any information or change anything on Wikipedia, so it shouldn't be completely trusted - but it's not as bad as it once was. For a while it was chaos, but now they have a huge army of mods who take it very seriously and any vandalism or wrong info is usually reported and corrected quickly. They have very thorough rules about what should and shouldn't be on it. Wikipedia is great if you know nothing about a subject and have a passing curiosity, but I wouldn't rely on it for deeper study.

Return to “General”