Food for thought

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Bugatti

Re: Food for thought

Post by Bugatti » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:16 pm

rb85 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:36 pm

What was the fishing like in the years prior when you were a tadpole?
Well funny you should ask rb, the years prior to when I was a tadpole, the fishing was great. Dad used to land a fair few.

Back in Lemnos, a Greek Island, Dad's hometown (the Island that was Base Camp and the staging area for the Gallipoli assault) Dad landed a few in the Taverns

DocImage000000036.png
DocImage000000036.png (201.32 KiB) Viewed 1179 times

Then he enlisted in the Army, landed a few there too

DocImage000000034.png

Dad wasn't landing enough, so he transferred to the Air-force, the strike rate improved dramatically

DocImage000000035.png

Then when he migrated to Australia, the variety of , , , , catch broadened

DocImage000000030.png

Truth be told, he was devoted to his childhood sweet heart, my Mum, he was loyal to the day he passed , , , , , so as far as being a tadpole, I was a twinkle before I was a tadpole

DocImage000000050.png

But on a serious note. I had noticed a sharp drop in abundance of fish, from when I was a teenager to about 20-15 years ago. Since then, it just went from bad to worse and so on to the modest/slim pickings that is now. There are still good catches but fewer and fewer.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:09 pm

rb85 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:36 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:07 pm

I don't advocate that I have intimate or even a great understanding of our Fisheries Management by PIRSA (our Fish Gods) but, with a big BUT for as long as I can remember (I'm 53 and have been fishing since I was a tadpole) that our Recreational Rules have been getting tighter and tighter, even with recent radical broad scoped changes to a multitude of fish specie, to mostly the Recreational Sector and only minor changes to "some" of the Professional Rules. That is even with the ever increasing no go zones, marine parks, sanctuary zones, closed seasons , , , , hence they don't work as a stand alone solution, as it seems to be used here.

Food for thought. Every specie of fish here in SA is held to tighter recreational rules than in Vic.
ie:
Snapper have to be min 38 cm here in-lieu of 28 cm for Vic.
Whiting have to be 31 cm here and a catch limit of 10 compared to 20 in Vic
etc etc etc
the only specie I can see we are better off on than Vic is Squid. We are allowed 15 in-lieu of your 10

Most here don't fish that often anymore or have given up entirely due to it not being worth the effort to have a good catch (small that the catch may be) amongst the 3 donut trips.

Cheers, Bugatti
Not sure what the answer is to your fishery maybe rec angling doesn't generate the same revenue in S.A. or theres no one pushing the rec cause like there has been here it could be just the way the fishery is.

Rec fishing does generate heaps of revenue in this state. So not sure why we aren't given credence.

But rb, you've hit the nail smack bang in the centre, our Rec representatives, associations are weak. We don't have a united or focused anything that pushes for our cause.

In a nut shell, and in my opinion, the SA Gov doesn't want the liability of license buybacks so it is forcibly stretching our Fishery to prop up the Commercial Sector (in-lieu of a mild buy back scheme, which would also have to be broad for all the species, which would cost millions & millions). Even a fair few of the pros want out and can see what is happening. Also, to "accommodate" commercial market demands of our fish produce. And, the Gov takes from the Recs, to help their futile propping of the entire commercial sector (in-lieu of halving it, with a partial buy-back), or to say to the markets "you have enough", to the demise of our Fishery.

We SA Fishos are locked out of a recreational catch of our Australian wide famous King Prawns. We can only fish for Prawns in water that is deeper than 10 meters (where the Prawns are on the bottom), with a net that has a 2 meter pole. What a joke.

I could fill page after page of posts on the mess we are in, it is like a Barrel of Monkeys, can't make out anything out of the clouded haze of spin, discontent, trade offs, sell outs, etc etc.

To give you an idea. I joined a popular SA fishing website in mid June 2016. I "Left" the site in early January 2017. Page after page, thread after thread, post after post by the "knowledged" hero members of talk, talk, talk about the issues facing our Fishery and what needs to be done , , , , good quality talk, but talk none the less. They were affiliated with a Fishery Advocacy Group too, what a joke. I was enthusiastic and I would engage and contribute in these discussions. No actions of any kind while I was there, they just talked things up.

There was an opportunity to meet and talk with the Opposition Fisheries/Recreation Minister about these issues and also to publicise our issues to the general public, especially for a lead up to an election. None of these "hero talkers" could spare the time to meet with the Opposition Member, I didn't put my hand up right away, thinking that the calibre of bloke on this site, someone would do it and they were way more informed than I. A really nice bloke, Barney, volunteered, as no-one else would. I volunteered too (seeing how everyone else took one step back, pathetic). I also brought my boat at the request of the Opposition Minister for "scenery effect".

BB & BB.jpg
BB & BB.jpg (20.52 KiB) Viewed 1168 times

We are not only sold out by the SA Gov, we are held back by our own as well.

I saw one of the Vic programs, "Talking Fishing", I think it was called. You guys have your act together.

Regards, Bugatti

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:25 am

Nice shirt Bill

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:50 am

I haven't fished SA but I have extensively fished VIC and southern NSW.
I have been fishing for over 30 years and fishing has apart from a few exceptions mostly remained unchanged in that time.
Exception worthy of note is kingfish, they were almost wiped out almost impossible to catch. Changes were made and they have recovered.

Snapper minimum size of 28cm is a tough one. That has been discussed many times here.
The basic problem is if the size limit was increased many of the fish that were released would die due to barotrauma.
Is it pointless to release a fish that will die to try and catch another hoping it is bigger?
I don't think I have keep a sub 30cm snapper in a few years and most fishos will release them if the fish is healthy and has a good survival rate.

So what is going so wrong in SA that fishing is going from bad to worse?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:48 pm

frozenpod wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:35 pm
BTW science has proven no take reserves don't make a difference.
Do you have a source for this?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:06 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:48 pm
frozenpod wrote:
Sure thing !
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:12 pm

rb85 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:25 am
Nice shirt Bill
Not my favourite shirt (it actually was borrowed)

BUT I have a few "Lucky" shirts , , , , I say, grab your Lucky shirt, we find a Pub with a decent Band, and you and I can Jack Daniels the night away :cheers:

IMG_20170810_173905a.jpg

IMG_20180415_221249a.png

Hope your Nogg'n is better than mine, otherwise we are doomed from the start , , , , I'm happy with crumbs :-D

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:18 pm

hornet wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:06 pm
4liters wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Sure thing !

You funny, me likey.

On a Science note. Sources, reports, studies, data evaluation etc etc , , , , depending on who is funding it , , , , depends on how the results are presented , , , ,

Oups, did my cynical side just come out , , , , It is hard though to put credence in reports nowadays with what some do, it puts doubt on all reports, good and bad ones

Cheers, Bugatti

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:42 pm

4liters wrote:
frozenpod wrote:
Probably I will see if I can look it up.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:19 pm

Out of interest total commercial fisheries production

VIC 7,992 tonnes.
SA 70,966 tonnes.

SA claim to have the best managed fisheries in Australia and are sustainably harvesting almost 10 times what VIC is.

Surely there is room for VIC to product a lot more than we currently are.

Return to “General”