Seasickness ideas and discussion

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
thebigal_au
Has liked: 5 times

Seasickness ideas and discussion

Post by thebigal_au » Sun May 05, 2019 2:25 pm

Thought others might find this amusing and interesting.
I have been a long-time sufferer of seasickness. I’m always interested to know what others do to manage their own seasickness.

I have added 2 links which might be helpful. The first is an article I have written about my own experiences to manage seasickness. The medications and remedies I’ve tried. What has and hasn’t worked. I have also added a short video clip on my latest trip ruined by seasickness. One short moment where I hold it together to catch a big squid knowing I was about to get sick.

Video Link - https://youtu.be/eDTFZYCfLnA
Article - https://fishingmad.com.au/article/seasickness

Appreciate ideas and feedback from others on how they manage their own seasickness.

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Re: Seasickness ideas and discussion

Post by sandef » Sun May 05, 2019 7:03 pm

I do a couple of things first no alcohol the night before ,used to able to get avil but now have use travel calm the original take 1 the night before and another if you are starting to feel sick ,driving the boat helps, usually try to stand upright in fresh air and avoid petrol fumes

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 pm

I am really sensitive to seasickness, I’d get sick at Flinders/Shoreham with just the small swell coming through the western entrance. I even got crook fishing behind the lee breakwall at Portland once.

Funny you find kwells to be effective, I tried those a couple of times and found them very ineffective. Travel Calm original works great, on low swell days (<1m) just half a tablet half an hour before hitting the water is sufficient. I’ve found the ones in the pink pack (chewable pills I think) to only be partially effective, not feeling as crook as with kwells but not as good as the original.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:53 pm

Limit alcohol to 3/4 of a slab the day before, hair of the dog before launching, keep fluids up throughout the day, if getting bloated from beers switch to spirits.

In all seriousness I don't drink before going fishing or if I have a beer the evening before it will only be 1 or 2 mid strength's, always stay hydrated plenty of water, keep an eye on the horizon and don't look at the deck or bait board too much whilst doing stuff especially in rough seas.

Fortunately I don't suffer seasickness if someone on my boat does I try to keep them hydrated and if it's sever will always go in or fish in the bay instead.

spudtrans
Has liked: 30 times

Post by spudtrans » Sun May 05, 2019 8:00 pm

you name it i have tried it
kwells takes the edge of sometimes
travelcalm same as above
ginger works well with me
pressure bands on the wrist did nothing for me
an ear plug in one ear to assist with the pressure inbalance. didnt help.
each day is different. fine on the drift. but cant handle being anchored and the next time the opposite
i am normally the driver but i have been tempted to get the wife to drive

wish i could find a cure so i can enjoy the whole day on the bay, not just a couple of hours.
The missus doesnt suffer from it and gets annoyed somedays when i start turning green and want to head back.
people that dont suffer from it dont realize how draining it can be.

sandef

Post by sandef » Sun May 05, 2019 8:11 pm

spudtrans wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:00 pm
you name it i have tried it
kwells takes the edge of sometimes
travelcalm same as above
ginger works well with me
pressure bands on the wrist did nothing for me
an ear plug in one ear to assist with the pressure inbalance. didnt help.
each day is different. fine on the drift. but cant handle being anchored and the next time the opposite
i am normally the driver but i have been tempted to get the wife to drive

wish i could find a cure so i can enjoy the whole day on the bay, not just a couple of hours.
The missus doesnt suffer from it and gets annoyed somedays when i start turning green and want to head back.
people that dont suffer from it dont realize how draining it can be.

sandef

Post by sandef » Sun May 05, 2019 8:13 pm

I found the more I went out the better I got ,also sleeping on the boat overnight went moored helped as well

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sun May 05, 2019 8:31 pm

Three things helped my Dad.

Seasickness is generally the difference from what your eyes see as being "level" and from what your ears tell you is level. The ear has a balancing feature and that contradicts what your eyes "think" is level , , , , hence sea sickness or motion sickness

1. Minimal food beforehand, and more of dry-ish food , , , , rather than liquidy food that may be more easily , , , , ralphed up.

2. Avoid looking close, especially internally in the boat or looking down in the boat , , , , always try and look at the horizon or at least far away. This minimises the balance difference from eye-ear.

3. Best remedy and helps avoid sea sickness. Munch on (chew on) dried nuts. Not many in one hit, as a full stomach is not good for the obvious. Just one nut at a time. The crunching vibration and internal noise in your head occupies the ear, which then minimises the eye-ear difference of balance.

Hope this helps
Cheers, Bugatti

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:09 am

My granddad always used to say the best cure for sea sickness is leaning against a tree.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue May 07, 2019 10:51 am

Travel calm original and Avil both work.

You need to take them earlier than 30 minutes though.

Return to “General”