Do you read fishing books/magazines?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Do you read fishing books/magazines?

Post by Sebb » Mon May 27, 2019 7:31 am

I went to a tackle shop two weeks ago looking for AFN's Freshwater Magazine and they said they don't sell them anymore, not many people buy/do that anymore. I went to a news agent instead and got it.
Then a thought came to my mind (mind you I'm 34 yo), with internet and all, do fishos still read books and magz or converts to online articles/videos?

My early years in fishing, I bought few 'instructional' books along with Fishing Monthly tabloids, then into more 'knowledge' books such as entomology kinda books. I would go to Borders book shop and read on 'how the weather impacts fishing' kind of books. Last few years I've been reading 'story' type books.

So are you or were you reading books and magz? A convert to online stuff?

Here's some of my fishy books.
Attachments
rps20190527_070809.jpg
rps20190527_070725.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Do you read fishing books/magazines?

Post by rb85 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:21 am

Yeah I don’t buy the newspaper read abc at work instead purchase captains mag and fishing world to read at work

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Mon May 27, 2019 10:37 am

Seb85 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:31 am
I went to a tackle shop two weeks ago looking for AFN's Freshwater Magazine and they said they don't sell them anymore, not many people buy/do that anymore. I went to a news agent instead and got it.
Then a thought came to my mind (mind you I'm 34 yo), with internet and all, do fishos still read books and magz or converts to online articles/videos?

My early years in fishing, I bought few 'instructional' books along with Fishing Monthly tabloids, then into more 'knowledge' books such as entomology kinda books. I would go to Borders book shop and read on 'how the weather impacts fishing' kind of books. Last few years I've been reading 'story' type books.

So are you or were you reading books and magz? A convert to online stuff?

Here's some of my fishy books.
I have saved all of the Freshwater magazines that I have bought. Plus all the books, they are now my reference library. I had a fantastic book about trout, that I lent to someone and never got back. It cost about 110 dollars in the 1990's.

What I began to find, is that the magazines tended to rehash the stories or information, so now I only buy the occasional one.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon May 27, 2019 11:07 am

Not much anymore,occasionally i but the fishing victoria before i go on a trip just to catch up on the area I'm visiting.
Used to buy a lt in the 70s and 80s,i have the full fishing encyclopedia of Australian fishing salt/freshwater that came out weekly 70mags in total

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Mon May 27, 2019 11:31 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:37 am
I have saved all of the Freshwater magazines that I have bought. Plus all the books, they are now my reference library. I had a fantastic book about trout, that I lent to someone and never got back. It cost about 110 dollars in the 1990's.

What I began to find, is that the magazines tended to rehash the stories or information, so now I only buy the occasional one.
What book was it? can you recall? would have been a great book to cost $110 in the 90s. Intrigued to know.

I watched A River Runs Through It movie, I heard the book is fantastic to read. Another old-ish book I want to get.
fishnut wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:07 am
Not much anymore,occasionally i but the fishing victoria before i go on a trip just to catch up on the area I'm visiting.
Used to buy a lt in the 70s and 80s,i have the full fishing encyclopedia of Australian fishing salt/freshwater that came out weekly 70mags in total
Some collection you have.
Yes, I do that too, checking the books and mags about the area before going.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 27, 2019 11:43 am

These days with the availability of blogs, Podcasts and articles ONLINE the days of the Humble Printed Magazine is Numbered..

i used to buy them before, just like i did with the car and photography magazines.
Not anymore!
i still However have the FIRST issue of ZOO ;-)
they were handing them out free on the railway stations in the CBD to get the name out there, still have it at home..

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon May 27, 2019 12:11 pm

Last one would of been Hooked up magazine, mainly cause it was free.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon May 27, 2019 12:34 pm

Most of the mags now full of ads which we pay to see

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Post by meppstas » Mon May 27, 2019 1:17 pm

I used to get the AFN magazine on a regular basis once but stopped buying them around four years ago.. I still get the Tasmanian fishing & boating news magazine each month..
I do have some trout & salt water fishing books that I still have a look through from time to time, some going back to the early 60's..
Books by Lance Wedlick (Fishing in Australia 1962) & Wal Hardy (The Saltwater Angler 1966) to name a couple.
It's always good to look back on the lures & fishing equipment that was used back in those days compared to what's available now..
Fishing has come a long way since then & is much easier to catch fish now than it was back then with such a large variety of products that are available in tackle shops today...
cheers
Adrian
My fishing books (Medium).JPG
A few pf my fishing books..
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Tackleberry
Has liked: 301 times

Post by Tackleberry » Mon May 27, 2019 2:18 pm

Not any more they are just like shooting mags and a drunk down the pub they just go over the same stuff time and time again ......
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Return to “General”