smelly hands

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Re: smelly hands

Post by dazz999 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:09 pm

StarrangerAU wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:34 am
My tips,
#1 Keep your fingernails trimmed
#2 Have a clean water bucket nearby when fishing to rinse your hands as you go.
#3 Use a bait rag to rinse and wipe (your hands) as you go.
#4 Wash your hands in regular soap n freshwater (don't be a wally and use soap in the saltwater) before driving home
#5 Alcohol gel during the drive home
#5 Give the hands (mostly the nails) a scrubbing with toothpaste and an old toothbrush when you get home (don't use the missus's brush, she gets upset, and you will be sleeping outside that night)

OR...as one fellow said... wear some gloves.

I have seen some folks at the piers wearing what look like black surgical gloves but I am not certain where to purchase them. I'd be keen to give them a try if they did not compromise the touch sense during fishing. Does anyone use those black gloves?
mate you can pick the gloves up from heap,s of place,s repco etc i use the black shield brand for work great glove,s i own a hilux nah seriously i work in the motor trade

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:58 pm

If your concern is the smell AFTER the fishing session, I spray windex on my hands then wipe them clean with a towel. I read somewhere that you don’t want the ammonia free windex because the ammonia breaks down the “fish slime”. Works for me and costs bugger all

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Tim399 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:58 pm
If your concern is the smell AFTER the fishing session, I spray windex on my hands then wipe them clean with a towel. I read somewhere that you don’t want the ammonia free windex because the ammonia breaks down the “fish slime”. Works for me and costs bugger all
Reminds me of a movie :)

My Big Fat Greek Wedding.PNG

windex.PNG

But surprisingly (not because I'm of Greek heritage) Windex does have a lot of applications especially as a general purpose cleaner

Cheers, My Big Fat Bugatti Wedding

Wedding Bug.PNG

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:18 pm

azkay wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:28 am

Might be an odd one, but cut a lemon in half and scrub with lemon before washing..
walbanga wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:40 am

Plus one for lemon juice, and wash with cold water to prevent opening up the shin pores at all.....
Trumpeter wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:20 pm

+2 for lemon juice
Lightningx wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Interesting. Lemon juice seems to be the go.
Might give it a try next time!
Cheers :thumbsup:

I am used to using my hand-cleaner , , , , being a Tradie, it is an almost daily routine

BUT

Lemon is a great cleaner for getting the smell out of fishy hands.

Also, scrubbing the Filleting/Chopping board, lemon works wonders too.

In fact, lemon is like Magic Juice

Cheers, Bug , , , , about to start a thread on the magic of lemons :-D

Return to “General”