Rock life

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Re: Rock life

Post by GusG » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:28 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:13 pm

There is currently legislation in place to remove access to this National Park and sell the exclusive rights to access to a private company who will charge 2 grand for a 4 day 'guided tour' from Boyd Lighthouse to Greencape Lighthouse. This would be the end of this incredible stretch of coast line.
That is a total disgrace. Man that makes me so pissed off!!! What a bunch of rod whallopers!

Sorry, just pardon me while I get my rage on

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:40 am

I could sling lures into the fading light for eternity. The isolation, the gentle lapping of the waves and cool evening wind time stands still. The serenity only broken by Cam complaining about the walk back out.

Pics like this probably mean we didn't catch anything that day.

Southside Tongue Point, Wilsons Prom.

Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:48 am

That was the sweep and wrasse day. You didn’t catch anything but me and cam got plenty of sweep and wrasse (and a pacific gull that flew through my line)
Last edited by 4liters on Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:53 am

LBG Season 2023/4 :

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:17 am

A couple of people PM'd me about getting into this kind of fishing and what kind of spin gear they should look at. I'll put the response here to avoid having the same conversation a bunch of times. This response is an answer to a question about a budget of 3-400 for a beginners kingspin setup.

I don't know what your preferences are for brands. At the moment I'm using exclusively assasins for my lure work but they retail at about $480. I got three of them super super cheap a while back off the Perth based distributor so what I paid isn't really realistic.

If you like shimano gear, the Tcurve 15kg spin rods will do the trick. You can get a three piece 15-24 ( i think, it might have been 10-20) from Anaconda for $149 full price, or if you wait for a sale maybe 120 or so.

Penn make a rod called the Alliegence II which I paid $109 at Southern Sports Fisher. it's a 10-15kg 10 footer. For the price this is probably the best value for money.

Daiwa have a couple of products in that range, I was using a PE 6 saltist hyper 962 for a while but i'm not sure you can get them anymore. That rod served me well for a while but snapped in half, entirely my fault, good products.

There are a bunch of other products on the market that I don't know much about that should fit your price range. Look for something 8-10 feet long casting to 100-120g. Frank from BUSTED in carrum downs is in the process of running out all of his rods, you could drop in there and see what he has left.

Reels, I use a biomaster 10k XG for all my ledge work. It's extremely light which makes it easy to cast all day. Cam uses an 8k, same model. Adtrac uses a Saragosa 10 and Carl switches between a Van Staal and a Gosa 10. Daiwa make a reel called teh BG which is supposed to be good value and the Penn Slammer III got a pretty good review on Alan Hawk. Make sure you get the fast version of whatever you buy, 5.7-6.2 speed is the zone I look for. I like the bio's cos they are extremely light.

Line everyone says something different but the 4 of us who rock fish together all use Tasline. It is extremely abrasion resistant and the knot strength is unbelievable. In my opinion it's the best product on the market, although it's a bit expensive I use 12lb for squid and salmon, 40lb for ledge spinning and 60-80 on my livebait setups. It's only available at BUSTED but if you take your new reel in there Frank will spool it for you on his tension device so it goes on super tight, and you pay by the metre so you dont' end up with a spool of 80m of braid you can't use for anything.

If it was me and I was on that budget, buy a reel for about 250 and fill it with Tasline then try the different rods and see which one you like the best.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:39 pm

Legend. Ill end up going over my budget for sure haha

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:27 pm

New trip new ledge. I try to take a couple of hours to fish somewhere new when i'm on a multi day trip somewhere that I fish often. This is a little bay near Currarong that I was hoping would produce some squid to float out the following morning. Wonderful little walk in and very comfortable place to fish.

Last edited by DougieK on Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:35 pm

Looks like a ripper spot..
Theres some beautiful places down that coast

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:53 pm

Some stunning places you go to DK :)
That place looks like a very nice spot!
Cheers :tu:

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:58 pm

Here's the sleep log from my last JB trip. Chasing big fish without a boat you gotta be prepared to put in periods like this....

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Return to “General”