Rock life

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Re: Rock life

Post by Aaron75 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:59 am

DougieK wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:33 pm
Aaron75 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:08 pm
mazman wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:41 pm
Wasn't expecting it to be down that end of the country, not a lot of the typical LBG target species down there.
I’ve fished a lot of that coast from Kaka Point down to Waikawa and tbh I’ve never considered it a game fishing area, the big fish there tend to be far too big to be messing with. It’s a great area for filling the freezer though, plenty of good eating fish.
"too big to mess with" :D

SBT there?
There are SBT in the area but I don't know of anyone fishing for them land based, but who knows. There is no snapper, kingfish, marlin etc.. they are all found further north but I've never fished the north end of NZ. The main LBG targets in the south would be sharks. There are plenty of threshers, seven-gillers and makos - I've been absolutely smoked there a couple of times while fishing for groper.

When I was about 12 I saw a fur seal get destroyed by a big white about 20 metres from the rocks. The shark came up from underneath and just seemed to appear from nowhere, it shocked us how fast it was. Scared the sh!t out of me. They are protected now but even if you wanted to target them you would need to overpower a fur seal and use it as live bait. I don't think the seals know jiu-jitsu but they are big and fast so good luck with that.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:16 am

Aaron75 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:59 am

There are SBT in the area but I don't know of anyone fishing for them land based, but who knows. There is no snapper, kingfish, marlin etc.. they are all found further north but I've never fished the north end of NZ. The main LBG targets in the south would be sharks. There are plenty of threshers, seven-gillers and makos - I've been absolutely smoked there a couple of times while fishing for groper.

When I was about 12 I saw a fur seal get destroyed by a big white about 20 metres from the rocks. The shark came up from underneath and just seemed to appear from nowhere, it shocked us how fast it was. Scared the sh!t out of me. They are protected now but even if you wanted to target them you would need to overpower a fur seal and use it as live bait. I don't think the seals know jiu-jitsu but they are big and fast so good luck with that.
You can choke out a staffy the same way you can choke out a person, the anatomy can't be that different.....

But seriously i'd never target a Great White. LB Thresher is an interesting concept, I know a couple that have been hooked in VIC but never one landed. I'd love to do the North of New Zealand one day but it's a logistical and financial nightmare going solo.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:58 am

4liters wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:51 pm
GusG wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:26 pm
I've been to Eves. Hard work but you feel like you are in another world, all on your own. Amazing place.

Great post Dougie, making get the LBG itch again
Any relation to CarlG?
Nah mate

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:13 pm

This is an image at Pulpit Rock, Greencape.

This was the site of my first LBG trip to NSW with Cam back in 2015. You can read the full report and laugh at how badly we sucked at this kind of fishing here
viewtopic.php?f=186&t=14701

As well as some other times here
viewtopic.php?f=186&t=15745

There is currently legislation in place to remove access to this National Park and sell the exclusive rights to access to a private company who will charge 2 grand for a 4 day 'guided tour' from Boyd Lighthouse to Greencape Lighthouse. This would be the end of this incredible stretch of coast line.

You can take action to help me int he FB group STOP THE LOCKOUT or directly with the NSW Liberal party.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:18 pm

You should post about that time at the prom we caught nothing but wrasse and sweep and cam got stuck halfway down the cliff.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:19 pm

4liters wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:18 pm
You should post about that time at the prom we caught nothing but wrasse and sweep and cam got stuck halfway down the cliff.
I was tossing up between this one and that photo you took of me slinging lures into the sunset on that exact day. I'll do the prom next.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:13 pm

This is an image at Pulpit Rock, Greencape.

This was the site of my first LBG trip to NSW with Cam back in 2015. You can read the full report and laugh at how badly we sucked at this kind of fishing here
viewtopic.php?f=186&t=14701

As well as some other times here
viewtopic.php?f=186&t=15745

There is currently legislation in place to remove access to this National Park and sell the exclusive rights to access to a private company who will charge 2 grand for a 4 day 'guided tour' from Boyd Lighthouse to Greencape Lighthouse. This would be the end of this incredible stretch of coast line.

You can take action to help me int he FB group STOP THE LOCKOUT or directly with the NSW Liberal party.
Them reports were gold!

Just finished reading them both. Nothing but sweep when i went there :(

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:19 am

Kimtown wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Other than some average sized kings nobody has seen a game fish here for 10 years now. It was a yellowfin mecca in the 80's and 90's but due to definitely not climate change or over fishing there hasn't been one sighted in more than a decade.

These days I camp at Saltwater Creek and enjoy the salmon and tailor fishing and isolation in that area, spending only a day or two each trip on this ledge.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:37 pm

DougieK wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:19 am
Kimtown wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:02 pm

Other than some average sized kings nobody has seen a game fish here for 10 years now. It was a yellowfin mecca in the 80's and 90's but due to definitely not climate change or over fishing there hasn't been one sighted in more than a decade.

These days I camp at Saltwater Creek and enjoy the salmon and tailor fishing and isolation in that area, spending only a day or two each trip on this ledge.
There was a know it all bloke there when I went and he said the same thing actually

Its hard to comprehend how overfishing on an LB ledge could can effect heavy migrating fish like SBT?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:40 pm

It’ll be over fishing by the commercial boats, not land based guys.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General”