September camping

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
croe04
Has liked: 161 times

September camping

Post by croe04 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:21 pm

Hi all

Intending to head out for a few days camping around mid September, but i'm still tossing up over the spot.
The three contenders are: Aire River, Lake Tyers and The Ovens River around Smoko. Obviously fishing is gonna be the main activity, so I was wondering if any of you fellas have hit these places at this time of year, and if it's worth the try / any things to be aware of.
Haven't camped lake tyers or the ovens before, but I have been to the Aire River once before and it is a beautiful part of the world. Didn't catch many fish while we were there, but did a bit of the great southwest walk and just relaxed the rest of the time which was great.
All of the fishing is gonna be LB, Hoping to do some hiking/bushwalking too. I'll chuck up some reports once i'm back.
Any knowledge/suggestions you guys have is greatly appreciated as always.

cheers

croe

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: September camping

Post by Sebb » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:26 pm

Aire river be okay, salmon should still be around off the beach, EP, mullet and bream in the river mouth.
Ovens in Smoko probably very cold and if the snow melts, the water be high and maybe slightly discoloured. If the water is clear enough, you probably have a chance to catch trout, otherwise they're hard to catch.
Even in clear water, early season trout in cold fast running water can be hard to catch but not impossible.
Never been to lake tyers, so no idea. But I'm guessing it's all pretty similar to the other areas along 90 mile beach. Salmon and tailor off the surf, bream, ep, trevally and possibly tailor in the lake system.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

croe04

Post by croe04 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:26 pm
Aire river be okay, salmon should still be around off the beach, EP, mullet and bream in the river mouth.
Ovens in Smoko probably very cold and if the snow melts, the water be high and maybe slightly discoloured. If the water is clear enough, you probably have a chance to catch trout, otherwise they're hard to catch.
Even in clear water, early season trout in cold fast running water can be hard to catch but not impossible.
Never been to lake tyers, so no idea. But I'm guessing it's all pretty similar to the other areas along 90 mile beach. Salmon and tailor off the surf, bream, ep, trevally and possibly tailor in the lake system.
Thanks for the advice seb.
I'll probably wait until later in spring or early summer to head to the ovens. There's trout fishing further upstream the aire river past the great ocean road, other than that the lake is usually where all the bream are caught but without watercraft you cant really fish it without going for a swim. I only used plastics last time, will probably try to diversify this trip and give the beach a sus too. If i decided on lake tyers i'd also probably be chasing a big dusky. Pretty excited even though i've barely planned this trip, camping's gotta be the best thing to do in spring in my books.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:07 am

The missus and I passed through lake tyres on the way back from our merrimbula trip not that long ago.Gave it a go in a couple of spots but no luck. Wish we had a bit more time to explore that area. You should go chase that monster flattie that area is known for :)
Cheers :thumbsup:

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:40 am

croe04 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:22 pm
Seb85 wrote:
I'll probably wait until later in spring or early summer to head to the ovens. There's trout fishing further upstream the aire river past the great ocean road, other than that the lake is usually where all the bream are caught but without watercraft you cant really fish it without going for a swim. I only used plastics last time, will probably try to diversify this trip and give the beach a sus too. If i decided on lake tyers i'd also probably be chasing a big dusky. Pretty excited even though i've barely planned this trip, camping's gotta be the best thing to do in spring in my books.
:thumbsup:
Do you have a kayak? Both places look nice to fish on a yak.
If you don't have a yak, want to buy my yak? :-D mates rate with extras.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:05 am

Seb85 wrote:
BIG duskys in Tyers as well (if they are playing the game)

StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Post by StarrangerAU » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am

I did Lake Tyers for a few days in Easter this year in a yak and back then the lake was woefully low in water, and the water quality imho was verging on poor, particularly in the sub 2 mtr parts of the eastern areas. It could imagine by now it will desperately be in need of a good flush out. Tyers has been land locked for a good many years now, and during that time has been without a decent rainy season to flush in new water.

I expect though if you have a boat, you will be able to keep to the western arms and find some decent stretches of good water with a possibility of a monster Flatty, or some good size dark bream, but if you are LB I personally would not bother.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:40 am

StarrangerAU wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am
I did Lake Tyers for a few days in Easter this year in a yak and back then the lake was woefully low in water, and the water quality imho was verging on poor, particularly in the sub 2 mtr parts of the eastern areas. It could imagine by now it will desperately be in need of a good flush out. Tyers has been land locked for a good many years now, and during that time has been without a decent rainy season to flush in new water.

I expect though if you have a boat, you will be able to keep to the western arms and find some decent stretches of good water with a possibility of a monster Flatty, or some good size dark bream, but if you are LB I personally would not bother.
I thought it needed a good flush out too with many years of average fishing, but the latest pirtek comp seen some monsters caught out of there

Have heard some very good reports in the last 6 month's as well, which surprised me.

It a funny though with Tyers. It seems it's either the Bream that are biting there or the Flathead. Never at the same time. In fact, don't think I've ever caught one of each species in any of the numerous times I've fished it... Maybe just a big coincidence though

croe04

Post by croe04 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:40 am
croe04 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:22 pm
Seb85 wrote:
:thumbsup:
Do you have a kayak? Both places look nice to fish on a yak.
If you don't have a yak, want to buy my yak? :-D mates rate with extras.
What kayak do you have? I am in the market one, still looking around at different brands and models and deciding on new/second hand. Failing that i have heard of a kayak hire company at tyres which would be worth a shot.

croe04

Post by croe04 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:59 pm

StarrangerAU wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am

Heard of a kayak hire company on lake tyers, getting a hobie for a couple days could be worth a shot. Would be a lot of peddling but i'd be up for it.

Return to “General”