Self servicing inflatable jackets

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Re: Self servicing inflatable jackets

Post by hornet » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:43 pm

If this does get passed I'm going to buy foam filled type, probably a high end model so it's comfortable all day ...
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Brett wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:53 am
Fish-cador wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:31 am
PFDs are required for boaties. I have PFDs for rock fishing. Am I covered with the same rule as boaties?
Yes, it still needs to be serviced every 12months.
That sucks. I service/test my own PFD. I even test the firing mechanism by pulling the cord to ensure it works and the cord itself still in good condition. I have a few spare CO2 cartridges for this purpose.

If I dont wear one while rock fishing, they can't fine me. If i wear one with no "service tag/stamp, i will be ***** slapped for using one I know works.

I will use tyre tubes next time. I am sure they have no servicing rules about it. Oh wait, it must be aligned and balanced to prevent uneven wear and wiggle.... :dn:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:06 am

hornet wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:43 pm
If this does get passed I'm going to buy foam filled type, probably a high end model so it's comfortable all day ...
Compulsory wearing of PFD laws have only come into effect in the last two years here in SA. They are very complicated and confusing;

*Size of Boat
*Where you are "on" the Boat
*What waters and how far out you are
* Age of the person

All of which is irrelevant as anywhere on the water, of any age, in any Boat mishaps can happen.

We have always put PFDs on the kids, and we started wearing when they raised the point "Why do they have to wear them and Adults don't". So we have all been wearing them, even before the laws were changed, when ever we are on the water ANYWHERE and even if others don't.

PFD 1.PNG
PFD 1.PNG (183.74 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

We use the "foam filled" PFDs always. The Raider Ultras, which have better features than the standard ones. Smaller float collars, hinged bottoms to allow sitting without the PFD riding up to your head, more comfortable fit.

I'd like to say that they are comfortable and that "you don't realise you are wearing them" but I can't. What I can say is, we found them to be the best of their kind, and they are a "solid state" flotation protection so no servicing and no worries, AND we have got used to them and they are not "cumbersome" , , , , well not anymore.

PFD 4.PNG

PFD 2.PNG
PFD 2.PNG (131.96 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

PFD 3.PNG
PFD 3.PNG (136.02 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

Cheers, Bugatti

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:27 am

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:06 am
hornet wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:43 pm
Compulsory wearing of PFD laws have only come into effect in the last two years here in SA. They are very complicated and confusing;

*Size of Boat
*Where you are "on" the Boat
*What waters and how far out you are
* Age of the person

All of which is irrelevant as anywhere on the water, of any age, in any Boat mishaps can happen.

We have always put PFDs on the kids, and we started wearing when they raised the point "Why do they have to wear them and Adults don't". So we have all been wearing them, even before the laws were changed, when ever we are on the water ANYWHERE and even if others don't.

We use the "foam filled" PFDs always. The Raider Ultras, which have better features than the standard ones. Smaller float collars, hinged bottoms to allow sitting without the PFD riding up to your head, more comfortable fit.

I'd like to say that they are comfortable and that "you don't realise you are wearing them" but I can't. What I can say is, we found them to be the best of their kind, and they are a "solid state" flotation protection so no servicing and no worries, AND we have got used to them and they are not "cumbersome" , , , , well not anymore.

Cheers, Bugatti
I think I'm sold ! thx bugs .. I'm probably getting these if you say they are comfy.. :tu:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:50 am

hornet wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:27 am
Bugatti wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:06 am

Cheers, Bugatti
I think I'm sold ! thx bugs .. I'm probably getting these if you say they are comfy.. :tu:

Woe them horses young fella, comfy , , , , I said cumbersome, but you do get used to them

We struggle to keep things perfectly maintained, Boat and Gear wise , , , , just busy lives, motivation sometimes and we aren't prolific fishos and get out when we can.

We prefer eliminating doubt when it comes to safety.

You won't like it at first BUT you will get used to it and that "one year" servicing, comes round so quick and unexpected BUT you won't have to worry about that :-D

I just don't want a NON_INFLATING PFD when I'm in the water or a small bubble stream coming from the PFD horrifying me in the dark flaoting in the middle of the Ocean :o_0:

PFD leaking.PNG

Cheers, Bugs

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:33 pm

hornet wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:27 am
Hornet, do as you see fit

One of the things I take into account is "living the scenario" in my mind and what I think I would want out of a piece of any equipment, especially safety equipment.

re-tyred wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:53 am

If your boat or yak rolls over with the EPIRB and flares trapped inside what are you going to do. Cold water will sap your strength in a matter of minutes.

If the unforeseen happens I would want to be as agile and mobile as I can be. Like "righting" myself and not being dis-orientated. To focus my valuable first minutes on getting to anyone else in the water, getting to the boat, getting the EPIRB & Flares etc etc

The inflatable type PFDs inflate forward and all flotation is forward, hence it rests you on your back. Which it is good if you are unconscious.

PFD 5.PNG

PFD 7.PNG

If you are conscious, then you have something resembling Ronald McDonald's hemorrhoids on your chest, which then it is more difficult to swim forward and the Floatation Chambers would be high around your neck and head

PFD 8.PNG

Plus, there is the risk that they don't inflate properly. So disorientating you a bit and using up valuable time with you trying to sort out the malfunction.

PFD 6.PNG

Hence I go with the "solid state" PFDs. But I do sacrifice a certain level of comfort while fishing, for the most amount of comfort where it is most important for me, in the water under an emergency situation.

PFD 4.PNG

PFD 2.PNG
PFD 2.PNG (131.96 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

Cheers, Bugatti , , , , we all make our own choices

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:06 pm

You make a good point Bugatti, re the inflatables putting you on your back. As part of the safety management on the PWCs for my work with Gippsland ports, we had to do three jumps and swims of 25 meters each year. This was done in clothes with an auto inflatable jacket. First jump was with a working jacket. Second was with the auto inflate disabled, 3rd was without a gas cylinder. Each was followed by a swim to shore of approx 25mtrs and then climb a ladder up a jetty. Always in June/July.

We learnt this:
When inflating with the gas cylinder they over inflate to a point you can't swim. Solution, as soon as it inflates reach for the deflate valve and let the majority of the gas out. You only need a couple of litres of gas in there to keep you afloat and you can easily add more by blowing in the inflate/deflate tube.
Once mostly deflated you can swim as normal.
We also found that when they fail to inflate it takes only about 3 breaths in the tube to put enough air in there to keep you afloat.
So if you find yourself in the water with a fully inflated jacket and you have to swim, don't even attempt it till you have let some gas out.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:09 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:33 pm
If you are conscious, then you have something resembling Ronald McDonald's hemorrhoids on your chest, which then it is more difficult to swim forward and the Floatation Chambers would be high around your neck and head
I think is this case swimming backwards in survival stroke would be much more effective than trying to fight the life jacket, similar to when you're learning to swim on your back and hold the board in front of your head. Realistically in any emergency situation involving water you should swim survival stroke as it conserves the most energy.
I'm in a bit of a predicament between choosing inflatable vs solid, Inflatables have a smaller profile and tend be cheaper, but solid ones tend to have more utility with pockets where you can put tools/plbs etc. It is worth bearing in mind PFD's do not keep your head above water if you are unconscious, but then again you can't inflate a jacket manually if you're knocked out cold either, but I guess thats where automatic inflatables come into play.
Since i'm kayak based it's hard to for-see a situation where I will be unconscious, but you can never tell what can happen to you while out there, so better safe than sorry.

Return to “General”