Self servicing inflatable jackets

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Self servicing inflatable jackets

Post by Brett » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:44 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:10 pm
ducky wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:56 pm
Brett wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:25 pm
Depending on the cost of a service, there may well be a lot more thrown out also, when stores regularly have them on sale for $49 for a yoke style, if you get away with it for 2 years, it isn't a big cost in reality
Min $200 every 2 years is a pain in the arse. I run 4 yokes on the boat.
bretts idea is great, but like duckman if you have a few on board then the expenses do add up.
Only option is to have the foam ones for passengers, but it does take up a fair bit of space, and on boats like yours and mine, space is premium!

Brett - on a boat its the skippers responsibility to make sure everyone on board has a working PFD. so its generally easier to have a few onboard.

Yes but as you said, not all of them need to be inflatable yokes that need servicing. The rules haven't changed that much over the yrs.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:16 pm

Brett wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:44 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:10 pm
ducky wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:56 pm
Brett wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:25 pm
Depending on the cost of a service, there may well be a lot more thrown out also, when stores regularly have them on sale for $49 for a yoke style, if you get away with it for 2 years, it isn't a big cost in reality
Min $200 every 2 years is a pain in the arse. I run 4 yokes on the boat.
bretts idea is great, but like duckman if you have a few on board then the expenses do add up.
Only option is to have the foam ones for passengers, but it does take up a fair bit of space, and on boats like yours and mine, space is premium!

Brett - on a boat its the skippers responsibility to make sure everyone on board has a working PFD. so its generally easier to have a few onboard.

Yes but as you said, not all of them need to be inflatable yokes that need servicing. The rules haven't changed that much over the yrs.
On a small boat it's easier to have the yokes as theres limited storage. The foam ones take up a lot of room. Unless you store them.somewhere else and remeber to pack them on a trip out. If you forget then it ruins a day out on the water..

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:27 pm

Lightningx wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:58 pm
Reminds me mine need to be done.
I always service my own every year. It’s quite easy and straight forward to do! What a load of crap!
Me too thanks

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Yeah little boat. Yokes are the go...

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Stormy coat me $400. Great jacket plus pfd. Get stuffed buying new ones every 2 years.

mefish
Has liked: 105 times

Post by mefish » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Which regulatory department are introducing this? How many have been detected and fined for not servicing?
If required surely a short course could be introduced to qualify and authorise self inspection.
We all don't live near the coast or in regional centres.

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:01 am

mefish wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:26 pm
Which regulatory department are introducing this? How many have been detected and fined for not servicing?
If required surely a short course could be introduced to qualify and authorise self inspection.
We all don't live near the coast or in regional centres.
The regulatory authority is TSV. Enforcement is Vic Police and TSV. A short course is being done for coastguard and VMR memebers. Not sure who else but if it all goes through as planned I am sure a course will be available for commercial and possibly private people. It isn't written in stone yet. My info comes from the invitation to do coast Guard course.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:31 am

PFDs are required for boaties. I have PFDs for rock fishing. Am I covered with the same rule as boaties?

Brett
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Brett » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:53 am

Fish-cador wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:31 am
PFDs are required for boaties. I have PFDs for rock fishing. Am I covered with the same rule as boaties?
Yes, it still needs to be serviced every 12months.

ango

Post by ango » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:41 pm

As Frozenpod said, over regulation at it's finest. I bought inflatables when compulsory wearing came in, and self service every year as per the manufacturers specification. I have to say I am getting a bit tired of the continuous attempts to regulate for stupidity. Should go back to you wear lifejackets when you think it's appropriate, then we can go back to the foam block models and forget the PITA to maintain self inflators.
Cheers
Ango.

Return to “General”