Shell bed reefs

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Shell bed reefs

Post by re-tyred » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:08 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-09/ ... a/11681904

This is needed in the Gippsland lakes and other estuaries around Vic. It would be particularly beneficial in the deep sand channels between Metung and Lakes Entrance.
There used to be many areas in the lake that had mussel beds on the bottom, they along with the seagrass are almost gone.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Re: Shell bed reefs

Post by CannonsJS » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:18 am

That'd be great. Looks like there could possibly be some in the area on their 'potential' map.

fishnut
Has liked: 28 times

Post by fishnut » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:35 pm

Now this is something I would donate to

Sebb
Has liked: 2999 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:56 am

Its a long term game worth trying. Only been a while and we already see something.
I wonder where is this secret 9m water location🤔
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:28 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:08 pm
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-09/ ... a/11681904

This is needed in the Gippsland lakes and other estuaries around Vic. It would be particularly beneficial in the deep sand channels between Metung and Lakes Entrance.
There used to be many areas in the lake that had mussel beds on the bottom, they along with the seagrass are almost gone.
Any thoughts or data on why the disappearance of mussel and weed ? :ft:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:30 pm

The weed is an easy one. It is a combination of, too many swan, European shore crab and boats chopping it up. The swans were once part of the diet, both young birds and eggs of the aboriginal people and Europeans up till the around the 1960s. They are noe in plague proportions. Swans feed by pulling up the weed and eating the crustaceans on it. European shore crab cut off the weed from the bottom , not sure why. Boats chop it up when the travel through the shallower areas.
Mussels tend to come and go due to salinity. Quick floods can kill them off. They come back in time, but they need structure to grow on. The changes in the lake system environment has caused sand movement around the Metung to lakes area and the base structure has been either covered or washed away. Some of this is due to forming up the channel areas with rocks, dredging and other human made changes. If shell bed structure was established in the more stable areas 5-10 meters metung to kalimna and in lake king then there would be a chance of the bottom in those area becoming good habitat.
What I am saying is you can't restore the areas that now have shifting sand, but you can establish a similar environment in spot close bye that are more stable.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Tackleberry
Has liked: 289 times

Post by Tackleberry » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:24 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:30 pm
The weed is an easy one. It is a combination of, too many swan, European shore crab and boats chopping it up. The swans were once part of the diet, both young birds and eggs of the aboriginal people and Europeans up till the around the 1960s. They are noe in plague proportions. Swans feed by pulling up the weed and eating the crustaceans on it. European shore crab cut off the weed from the bottom , not sure why. Boats chop it up when the travel through the shallower areas.
Mussels tend to come and go due to salinity. Quick floods can kill them off. They come back in time, but they need structure to grow on. The changes in the lake system environment has caused sand movement around the Metung to lakes area and the base structure has been either covered or washed away. Some of this is due to forming up the channel areas with rocks, dredging and other human made changes. If shell bed structure was established in the more stable areas 5-10 meters metung to kalimna and in lake king then there would be a chance of the bottom in those area becoming good habitat.
What I am saying is you can't restore the areas that now have shifting sand, but you can establish a similar environment in spot close bye that are more stable.
Yep i cant even take swan eggs any more ...... they make the best omelettes and sponge cakes
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:11 am

Tackleberry wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:24 pm

Yep i cant even take swan eggs any more ...... they make the best omelettes and sponge cakes
I thought that was Emu eggs!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:40 am

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:11 am
Tackleberry wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:24 pm

I thought that was Emu eggs!
Look what the cat dragged in, I thought you’d drowned or something
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:59 am

White buckets at the ready in case we find one...
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “General”