Bad season or bad forum?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
samjas1316
Has liked: 47 times

Re: Bad season or bad forum?

Post by samjas1316 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:03 pm

Tackleberry wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:12 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:44 am
Tackleberry wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:01 pm
Millzee wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:46 pm
Make it easier to post pics and I'll post reports
This is funny as ...... This place is one of the easiest on the net to post a pic you dont even need a host sight ......
nah its not funny.
earlier, possibly even before you joined we could upload larger files straight from our phones.
not possible anymore, and with phones these days being so advanced running higher mpX sizes its even harder to do so.
i have to upload my pics to facebook, then redownload them onto my phone and then upload them here to post them, f^%$@^#&^ PITA tbh!!!
can see why its harder to post reports now compared to earlier...
it only takes 30 sec to resize pics there are heaps of apps for this .
Got me beat why you would stuff around doing it the faceache way .
A member here suggested this a while ago... This is what I do. After taking pics on the phone, I scroll through them and screenshot the one (or two) to upload. Granted, it would be better to be able to just simply upload the original pics.

Btw, I also prefer this forum as a way of sharing info via reports and discussions. Most reports here are usually to inform and help members. I hate the FB and Insta brag posts with just pics. And then when someone dares asks for a bit more detail, they get the condescending replies such as in the water etc.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:17 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:59 am
StarrangerAU wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:04 am
I'm a bit late to the game for this topic, but will throw my two bob in by ways of justification from my lack of contributions lately....

As a reasonably regular land based angler, this summer season has been pretty challenging in PBB and the surrounding waters (Inverloch, Welshpool, Apollo, Barwon ). For my part I haven't landed anything decent to take home for almost two months. Its hard making a readable report from landing micro pinkies, just legal flatties, banjos, and eagle rays.

Noted.... the forum needs contributors to sustain community interest and improve community involvement. I'll be making an effort to throw some words together whilst crying into my beer after the next trip(s).
Spot on. I've noticed when a boring report gets put up saying "caught fish in the southern end of the bay" and it's just bragging and not really talking about what types of areas, lures used or bait, time of day or tide, it turns to ****. People want to learn a bit every time they read.

When there are reports constantly being put up with a bit of information for people to take away it really builds up the comradery of the forum.

Boredom and monotony can bring out the worst in people unfortunately.
there was a discussion about this many moons ago.
the discussion was about posting reports without location or anything else for the matter. just a report with some pics
the general consensus was that, no it wasnt seen as bragging and is still a report.

besides this, no point in a select few members posting reports with all the available information given in form of words, videos or pictures while everyone else just comes, reads and ***** off.. atleast have the decency to thank the individual (either here, or in other platforms if you are following them there) for giving out the info for free..
Jealousy will only help you read reports not create them!!

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:44 pm

As far as I am concerned, I am happy to tell everything you want to know. However sometimes I am busy or tired and I just throw up a basic report with maybe a pic. I am always happy to tell the rest if asked. Besides if you include it all in a lengthy first report there is nothing left to chat about, so after initial post say great report etc, the thread dies. Nothing better than question and answer to keep it alive.
Sure there are people that want to guard their spot, that is their right. I am lucky to fish places that rarely have enough other people to be annoying and I don't annoy easily.
I also like to attract people to the town. It is good for the town businesses. Not that I work for a living anymore , but there are plenty who are struggling here. Lakes has lost huge money earners over the years with forestry, fishing, farming and mining all falling out of favour with city based voters. Now the fires have killed this years summer tourist season, we are turning into a ghost town.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:02 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:17 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
StarrangerAU wrote:
I'm a bit late to the game for this topic, but will throw my two bob in by ways of justification from my lack of contributions lately....

As a reasonably regular land based angler, this summer season has been pretty challenging in PBB and the surrounding waters (Inverloch, Welshpool, Apollo, Barwon ). For my part I haven't landed anything decent to take home for almost two months. Its hard making a readable report from landing micro pinkies, just legal flatties, banjos, and eagle rays.

Noted.... the forum needs contributors to sustain community interest and improve community involvement. I'll be making an effort to throw some words together whilst crying into my beer after the next trip(s).
Spot on. I've noticed when a boring report gets put up saying "caught fish in the southern end of the bay" and it's just bragging and not really talking about what types of areas, lures used or bait, time of day or tide, it turns to ****. People want to learn a bit every time they read.

When there are reports constantly being put up with a bit of information for people to take away it really builds up the comradery of the forum.

the discussion was about posting reports without location or anything else for the matter. just a report with some pics
the general consensus was that, no it wasnt seen as bragging and is still a report.

besides this, no point in a select few members posting reports with all the available information given in form of words, videos or pictures while everyone else just comes, reads and ***** off.. atleast have the decency to thank the individual (either here, or in other platforms if you are following them there) for giving out the info for free..
I never said people should tell everyone their secrets.. A little bit of info goes a long way. Time of day/Time of tide, Lures/techniques used or what ground you looked for or the general area you fished in won't give away anything but will keep people engaged.

And honestly a few pics and saying i caught a few fish in the wet part of the bay isn't a report in my eyes.

Like re-tyred just said, "Nothing better than questions and answers to keep it alive", and by putting up a report with a bit of information it lets people know you're willing to give advice and info.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:22 pm

Sinsemilla wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:02 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:17 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
StarrangerAU wrote:

I never said people should tell everyone their secrets.. A little bit of info goes a long way. Time of day/Time of tide, Lures/techniques used or what ground you looked for or the general area you fished in won't give away anything but will keep people engaged.

And honestly a few pics and saying i caught a few fish in the wet part of the bay isn't a report in my eyes.

Like re-tyred just said, "Nothing better than questions and answers to keep it alive", and by putting up a report with a bit of information it lets people know you're willing to give advice and info.
i agree.
if people followed that it would be great, but unfortunately not the case.
just getting up a few sentences let alone a pic at this stage is hard work from members.
i was one to ask about the pic only and nothing else looked like just a bit of a brag, but the response i got was not what i expected..
some info and a pic is great.. sometimes the info is already there if you looked hard enough..

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:18 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:44 pm
It is good for the town businesses. Not that I work for a living anymore , but there are plenty who are struggling here. Lakes has lost huge money earners over the years with forestry, fishing, farming and mining all falling out of favour with city based voters. Now the fires have killed this years summer tourist season, we are turning into a ghost town.
It is sad and the affected towns need support.
The idea of stopping commercial fishing is to promote rec fishing + tourism.
If I lived closer, I'd go there often.
For a start, I'm going there for four days on Labor Day long weekend. Will be getting prawn light and net, crab net, definitely coffees and lunches.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:36 pm

I was talking about the massive restrictions imposed on offshore commercial fishing during the 90s. Trawling and shark fishing reduced to 30'% of its former self and scallop industry from 130 vessels to 12. It killed the town. But this isn't the place to debate its merits.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:37 pm

For some reason I have been unable to reach the site for a few weeks. Lately have been heading out when the weather permits and getting a feed of Whiting and squid have also done 1 trip offshore just to do a flatly drift and get a feed.

As for the discussion the forum is as good as its contributors most the times I find it pretty good.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Millzee
Has liked: 42 times

Post by Millzee » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:47 pm

Tackleberry wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:01 pm
Millzee wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:46 pm
Make it easier to post pics and I'll post reports
This is funny as ...... This place is one of the easiest on the net to post a pic you dont even need a host sight ......
care to give me a lesson??

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:56 am

Using my android phone. Go to the pic. Touch screen to bring up menu.
Go to edit.
Touch screen to bring up menu
Go to export
Set new size
Hit done
A new copy will be created.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200124-044959.png
Screenshot_20200124-044954.png
Screenshot_20200124-044942.png

Return to “General”