Fishing around Refuge Cove

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
edvanr

Fishing around Refuge Cove

Post by edvanr » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:47 am

Hi Guys,
I’m planning a trip out to Refuge Cove to camp for a few nights. Plan to some fishing during the day and I’m trying to work out the best locations. It is really hard to get a clear answer on the marine park boundaries and the fishing rules around there but from what I can see the Marine Park hugs the coastline on that side so as long as you go a little bit offshore you should be fine.

Few questions I was hoping you can help with?
  • What is the best wind/swell conditions to go from Port Welshpool to Refuge? What would be considered “No go” in a Evolution 600
  • Can you get squid and whiting in Refuge and is that allowed?
  • Is it worth a trip out to Seal Islands and Cliffy for some bigger fish like Kings?
  • On the charts i have noticed a huge wall called Cape Wellington that seems to drop from 15m-60m very quickly. Anyone fished this? Fees like it could be a good spot and is close to Refuge
Anything else I should know? I’ve done one trip out there a few years ago and conditions were pretty hairy on the way out but glass on the way back.

Ed.

PhilN

Re: Fishing around Refuge Cove

Post by PhilN » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:54 pm

I did much the same trip a couple of years ago.
The “National Marine Park/Sanctuary” boundary starts from the southern tip of Cape Wellington and goes round to Tidal River. No fishing in this area.
You can rec fish elsewhere including Refuge Cove
I did great on the squid in the cove. Didn’t fish for Whiting.
I went down to Cape Wellington. Looked great - strong tidal flow - you would think a great Kingie spot. But when I was there it was green/dirty but the islands were blue so didn’t spend much time there. Been meaning to go back for a while.
Should you go to the islands...hell yeah!

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:31 pm

I've been wanting to do a trip like this for years. Make sure you keep us posted on your experience.

Cheers, Anth

CannonsJS
Has liked: 70 times

Post by CannonsJS » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 am

Sinsemilla wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:31 pm
I've been wanting to do a trip like this for years. Make sure you keep us posted on your experience.
Same here. I'm hoping to go in Autumn when conditions are a bit more settled.
Any first hand info would be much appreciated.

Return to “General”