Bar Crossing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Sinsemilla

Re: Bar Crossing

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:18 pm

ChristianGoneFishing wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:31 pm
Sinsemilla wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:35 pm
Hey mate, It's not as scary as everyone makes it out to be.

It's very easily done, I usually try to go through on slack tide and when the wind is below 15 knots.

Just stay in the middle of the heads and cruise along slow and steady.

Anth
Thanks

I assume your talking barwon heads?

Have you exited the Rip? Is that similar?

Bloody windy forecast the coming weekend so looks like I wont be heading out any time soon
I'm talking about PPB heads. I have never gone through barwons bar crossing but would imagine it being similar with a couple differences like not crossing when the swell is up or when the tide is low.

https://youtu.be/uNTk2IejfFE

https://youtu.be/4FUu71PlWIw

Cheers, Anth

ango

Post by ango » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:41 pm

Hi.
It's not rocket science, just go down and watch others in boats similar to yours going out to see the conditions they are prepared to take on. You have to start somewhere so pick your day the first few times and come straight in if it looks like blowing up. I find getting in is generally not a problem, even if the waves are breaking, just get on the back of one and follow it in, but do not overtake it and run down the face. For your information slack tide at the heads is mid way between high and low tides. If anything I like to err on the side of the tide running out a bit when I go out because then I know it will be an incoming time when I go back so no dramas if it blows up a bit.
Cheers Ango.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:14 pm

ChristianGoneFishing wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:04 pm
Hi guys,

Firstly, I have a 5.3mtr Haines Signature half cab with a 130hp etech.

I have only been a boat owner around 2 years, so i'm inexperienced and cautious about anything i'm not familiar with. As such I have avoided bar crossing to date.

With recent reports of Tuna outside of Barwon Heads and the RIP, as well as kingies in the rip, I have been considering the idea of heading out. I have watched countless videos and reports on bar crossing as preparation, but I have a few questions.

There is no learning like experience. Which bar, PPB or Barwon heads is safer to cross as a beginner?

I use fishranger, is there a maximum wind/wave/swell I should consider, again as a beginner to then work my way up?
I will certainly aim my first trip out on high tide, but to wait out til next high is probably not going to possible time wise, is mid/low tide ok to come back in provided i obviously follow a wave in by controlling my speed?

Anyone have any other suggestions? Anyone feel like coming out some day to tutor me on a crossing?
https://www.orcv.org.au/training/rip-to ... llip-heads
Another suggestion is to go out on a Charter a few times.

I can't comment on Barwon. I have been in and out of the heads a few times and went out once when I should have stayed put, but I saw one of the dive boats go out, so I gave it ago, It was uncomfortable but I took it steady and it was not a problem. Slack water at the heads is roughly when it is high or low tide at Williamstown.

lauxyboy

Post by lauxyboy » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:56 pm

Gday brother,

Barwon heads being my home heads I’ll give you my run down

All got to start somewhere with it, best bet is to watch other boats, go through, don’t sit in the channel at a low tide past the second lot of markers and if you do keep the motor on and in gear as she swirls quite a lot,

If you are heading out I normally choose a low as the waves will be down on the Bomby (big breakers out the very back past the boilers) if it’s anything over 2 metres swell I fish else where,

As you head out follow the channel markers all the way till you see open ocean, if the swell is down, line the red triangle shipping marker up with the last red marker in the channel (pull up just shy of the last marker if you want to study the sets, swell wind tide) once you’ve picked a break motor up to speed and head past the last red stick keeping the triangle in line and your home and hosed, make sure you stay close to the red stick but not too close as there’s a big concrete block on it and don’t venture to far left as the boilers from the old sunk steam ship are there, visible at low tide

Same in reverse to come in

Navionics has it all mapped out spot on,

Life jacket on, make sure you check the tide/swell/wind because I’ve come back in pushing a 6m Bomby and my arse was tightening hard, still did it no worries but I sat out the back for a good 20 watching pipeline barrels with the massive spray shitting my pants,

Was out there last week chasing a tuna, otherwise beach launches at Urqhuarts bluff/fisherman’s beach Torquay or Lorne might be more up your alley

If your down there often hit me up and run ya out and in to show you

Cheers Lauxy

ChristianGoneFishing
Has liked: 1 time

Post by ChristianGoneFishing » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:24 am

Thanks so much for advice guys.

Hopefully some calmer weather lines up with a weekend soon and ill give it a go.

Return to “General”