Stuff that happens while fishing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Stuff that happens while fishing

Post by Lightningx » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:05 pm

Lol that’s the first time I have heard of that before!

Pistol

Post by Pistol » Sun May 06, 2018 8:42 pm

Geez, nearly too numerous to list.
1. Launched boat before light. Fishing solo so I just tied the boat off to the nearest rock. Drove up,the ramp and wondered what the noise was. Rope had caught around the trailer and I dragged the boat and the rock up the ramp.
2. Stepped onto the jetty at Tamboon Inlet. Level was high, 50mm above the level of the jetty so I was stepping into water. Someone had removed a plank, I fell through and dislocated my shoulder. No-one around, long, long story but eventually got an ambulance from Cann River, 3 green whistles and 2 lots of morphine did nothing. Doctor in Orbost tried to put shoulder back in, unbelievable pain, whole town of Orbost learned some new foul language, and Orbost is a timber town...
3. Two months later went back to Tamboon, dropped a bream on my foot and got cellulitis. Emergency trip home and two weeks in bed.
4. Forgot to put the pin in my Minn Kota quick release. Pounding into waves at Hervey Bay and motor dropped in. Marked it on gps and divers recovered it next day. Flushed it out but it died a year later.
5. Bait tank hose ruptured. Tied boat to jetty at Metung. Mother in law raced up to tell me that the boat was on the bottom. Gauges and wiring all died eventually.
6. Removed water and got boat floating. Asked another boat owner for a tow back to ramp. Wind got up and while he was stuffing around untying his boat the wind blew it into mine and the bowsprit punched a hole in the side of his boat! Cringe! This still keeps me awake at night! Poor bastard!
7. Was passed by the wheel from the boat trailer between Nowa Nowa and Bruthen. Wrecked axle and waited hours for help. Trailer repair guy put Ford bearings in. My trailer has Holden axles...
8. Removed anchor to use as a winch point to get car unstuck after launching boat at Ningaloo Reef. Reattached anchor but only finger tight and forgot to secure shackle with a cable tie. Drove boat up to campsite and anchored it for the night. Walked to tent but had an uneasy feeling. Walked back to check boat and saw my wife swimming after it 500m off shore as it was blowing towards the reef. It was a bad year for Irakangis with many swimmers being stung. She couldn't catch it but a guy in a Hobie went to her rescue and she got the boat metres before it was crunched on the reef.
9. Launched at Bass River before light on a falling tide. Drove up onto the mud. Thought I'd walk to the bank, mud was armpit deep. Returned to boat and waited 5 hours for the tide to float me off. Covered in mud, waving to the other boaters as they drove past.

That's just the start, wife's not happy when I go fishing alone now days.

mingle
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mingle » Sun May 06, 2018 9:05 pm

@pistol,

Great stuff - well, I guess a lot of stuff is a bit more amusing when a bit of time has passed!

It almost sounds like you should take up a less hazardous hobby!

Cheers,

Mike.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Mon May 07, 2018 3:14 am

Pistol wrote:Geez, nearly too numerous to list.
1. Launched boat before light. Fishing solo so I just tied the boat off to the nearest rock. Drove up,the ramp and wondered what the noise was. Rope had caught around the trailer and I dragged the boat and the rock up the ramp.
2. Stepped onto the jetty at Tamboon Inlet. Level was high, 50mm above the level of the jetty so I was stepping into water. Someone had removed a plank, I fell through and dislocated my shoulder. No-one around, long, long story but eventually got an ambulance from Cann River, 3 green whistles and 2 lots of morphine did nothing. Doctor in Orbost tried to put shoulder back in, unbelievable pain, whole town of Orbost learned some new foul language, and Orbost is a timber town...
3. Two months later went back to Tamboon, dropped a bream on my foot and got cellulitis. Emergency trip home and two weeks in bed.
4. Forgot to put the pin in my Minn Kota quick release. Pounding into waves at Hervey Bay and motor dropped in. Marked it on gps and divers recovered it next day. Flushed it out but it died a year later.
5. Bait tank hose ruptured. Tied boat to jetty at Metung. Mother in law raced up to tell me that the boat was on the bottom. Gauges and wiring all died eventually.
6. Removed water and got boat floating. Asked another boat owner for a tow back to ramp. Wind got up and while he was stuffing around untying his boat the wind blew it into mine and the bowsprit punched a hole in the side of his boat! Cringe! This still keeps me awake at night! Poor bastard!
7. Was passed by the wheel from the boat trailer between Nowa Nowa and Bruthen. Wrecked axle and waited hours for help. Trailer repair guy put Ford bearings in. My trailer has Holden axles...
8. Removed anchor to use as a winch point to get car unstuck after launching boat at Ningaloo Reef. Reattached anchor but only finger tight and forgot to secure shackle with a cable tie. Drove boat up to campsite and anchored it for the night. Walked to tent but had an uneasy feeling. Walked back to check boat and saw my wife swimming after it 500m off shore as it was blowing towards the reef. It was a bad year for Irakangis with many swimmers being stung. She couldn't catch it but a guy in a Hobie went to her rescue and she got the boat metres before it was crunched on the reef.
9. Launched at Bass River before light on a falling tide. Drove up onto the mud. Thought I'd walk to the bank, mud was armpit deep. Returned to boat and waited 5 hours for the tide to float me off. Covered in mud, waving to the other boaters as they drove past.

Holy crap
Think after a few times things gone wrong you take it as a sign lol

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Mon May 07, 2018 8:04 am

Geeez! Far out :o_0:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 07, 2018 9:34 am

Holy **** dude, this guy takes the cake so far.
i would have thought that tamboon would have put you off after the ambulance indicdent but no!!!! had to back did you hahahaha..
that place is dead as door nail (human activity wise i mean) at the best of times, i can only imagine the problems associated with an ambulance being called there without any reception etc...

Thetunaslayer

Post by Thetunaslayer » Mon May 07, 2018 11:44 am

Very amuzing stories.made me laufgh

Pistol

Post by Pistol » Mon May 07, 2018 1:24 pm

that place is dead as door nail (human activity wise i mean) at the best of times, i can only imagine the problems associated with an ambulance being called there without any reception etc...[/quote]
That, my friend is a very long story. One of my companions on that trip was Broomstick from this forum. We had been camped over the other side of the lake and I'd dropped him and his Dad off before going back to get my gear. They were on the way home when my mishap occurred. I had seen some kayakers about half a k downstream and yelled as loud as I could to get their attention. Of course that didn't work but as luck would have it a woman had refused to go out fishing with her husband and was sitting in their car at the boat ramp car-park. She came down to investigate but wasn't able to do anything. I was half in the water scared I was going to pass out from pain and drown but when she couldn't do anything I thought I'd at least secure the boat and text my wife. I knew that there was no phone service so was amazed when my wife rang back, but she was cutting out. Turns out that there is some sort of enhanced service for triple 0 calls and managed to get the ambos to come. Just try and imagine the pain involved in doing all of this and climbing back onto the boat to find my phone. It's not like in the movies!

Then there was the trainee paramedic who couldn't handle the situation and disappeared, the other paramedic who kept waking me from my meditative state to ask what my level of pain was on a scale of 1-10, the Aneathasist in Bairnsdale who suggested that he would make me semi conscious while it was put back in... "Did you say semi..." I asked. " OK, I get the message, you'll be totally under" "Good". Then the hospital told me that I would have to leave at 2.00am because they didn't have a bed for me!

Wife drove from Warragul to take me home then we had to drive back to Tamboon the next day to get my car and boat. The good news was though that some guys had taken my boat out and stored it at a house they were staying at. They even hooked up a battery charger to the fridge so my fish didn't spoil! Top blokes!

There is a sequel though! I went to Tamboon again about 6 weeks ago, again with Broomstick. As were were leaving he found he couldn't get his car out of "park". Rang RACV and waited two hours for them to come from Orbost. I felt obliged to wait with him in case he was stuck. Told the driver what the issue was and he fixed it in 30 seconds (his foot had knocked a switch on the brake pedal that meant the car couldn't get out of "park")

I now never go fishing alone without an EPIRB. I'll get a personal locator beacon as well and wear it in future.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 07, 2018 2:17 pm

far out man, thats an episode and a half, would have put me off fishing for a long long time.
im always paranoid going fishing in places like bemm, tamboon cause of limited reception, next to no human in sight etc etc.
always worry about **** like this happening, tyre blowouts, hitting wildlife at night and being stuck there for hours, hooks in fingers or worse.

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Mon May 07, 2018 2:29 pm

i certainly got nowhere near as bad as pistols but this has been a few recent ones..

steering cable snapped on mates boat so sat and waited for the water police to tow us back in.

sounder first then trolling motor both broke on vic bream comp last year, spent the entire comp aimlessly drifting in the marlo channel (still caught some bream)

breaming trip, mate got a treble in his finger, he tried in vain to dislodge it, i had to do it for him with a pair of pliers. ouch!

next bream trip it was my turn, treble in my thumb, mate said its now his turn to be the knight in shining armour, ripped it out only to get the second set of trebles into my other finger, i have never cursed so badly ever. got that one out eventually after a lot of cursing and swearing.

vicbream comp, marlo again. mate had to change contact lense suppliers a day before the tournament started
woke on day1 with both eyes looking like beehives, so he was blind as a bat, he was the one who knew where all the sandbanks etc were, so blind leading the blind scenario. ran into a few sandbanks in the end. luckily no one went overboard.
second comp day same story, fishing blind. same outcome sandbanks and sunlight (mate could look into the sun at all) were our enemies lol

Return to “General”