Stuff that happens while fishing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
complete-anglerz-12

Re: Stuff that happens while fishing

Post by complete-anglerz-12 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:47 pm

only thing than happends while me n my mates fish is squid get caught n beers get slammed
where is the calamari ............. don't worry they coming ........ they will come

alaskanaturally

Post by alaskanaturally » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:07 pm

Boat sliding off the trailer happened to us. Combo of reasons. New truck accelerated too fast and forget to hook the strap. Funny now, disconcerting then. Embarrassment took a few years off our lives. It was low tide, just waited for the water to rise. Very relieved no damage.
Martin and Ruta Outdoor Writers: Subsistence living, fishing, hunting, wild plant gathering, mushrooming, living off the grid.

alaskanaturally

Post by alaskanaturally » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:24 pm

Ruta caught king salmon three days in a row and Martin couldn't get a touch. The forth morning she decided to sleep in. He asked if he could use her rod. Ok of course. So off he goes to the fishing hole. Made a number casts and suddenly has a tremendous strike. Sure enough the rod breaks. Man was he trouble. Gave him the cold shoulder for the entire day. Still not sure whether he did it on purpose because she was catching all the fish. Maybe at some level he did.
Martin and Ruta Outdoor Writers: Subsistence living, fishing, hunting, wild plant gathering, mushrooming, living off the grid.

Fishn104

Post by Fishn104 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:27 pm

[quote="ducky"]Last weekend I was at a mates house for a BBQ and celebration for his baby shower.

Haha lol. At that second..... An indescribable second!!!
FISHING AWAKENS THE SOUL!!

Fishing Victoria Comp SPEC1516. Total: 326cm
FRESH:
Redfin 44cm. Yellow belly 39cm. Carp 81cm. Rainbow trout 33cm.

SALT: mullet 38cm. Trevally 43cm. KG Whiting 28cm. Squid 20cm.

adamk

Post by adamk » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:24 am

setting up pop up tent, try to put pegs in the ground.
grounds too hard, bend pegs fml . . tent flys away, rain kicks in.
people on the jetty across the river would have been laughing.
get fair few bites don't see much action on there side.

fishing bells going off, land the pinky off to grab clippers to release fish, turn around fox, at this point i'm ranting first the tent now this pest.
so i'm walking to release the fish on the rocks an watching this fox. next few hours where spent trying to seal holes in the fence, herding the fox off an racing back to to rods going off.

another time:
catching pinkys/snapper, get a hook up reeling think i'll just scull drag o_0 insert wild seal, rod buckles over wtf.
get my hooks back flattened out. thinking to myself wtf is going on not knowing there is a seal. 15 mins later look towards the westgate on the rocks 40ft from me is a seal on the rocks.
think to myself that explains it. ffffffff. . . forced to stop fishing for a good hour wile the seal dose it's thing. lol'd when it smashed a duck.

was ment to go out fishing last night but migraine for the last 18 hours. hopefully go out tonight.

Trumpeter
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Trumpeter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:45 pm

Seals can be real a-holes.
One night whilst anchored off Black Rock I had a large one turn up and constantly circle the boat really closely in a menacing shark-like manor. We weren't catching anything so I wasn't sure what it wanted but I had my Staffy Terrior on board and started to worry the seal may have been interested in him. After 15 or so minutes of being harassed I pulled up the pick and took off towards Altona -with the damn thing porpoising along side! It was leaping higher than the gunnel, seemed like it was trying to look in and I really started to think the bloody thing was going to jump aboard. I opened the throttle fully and we left the nuisance in our wake, made it to another mark at Altona and had a go there. Within 5 minutes of having a bait in the water I heard a familiar snort and you guessed it, old mate seal has followed us half way across the bay to continue with his intimidation so we threw in the towel and headed home.

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:13 am

Fishing at Barwon Heads had a similar experience with a gull picking my baited hook as it lay on the sand. Bail was open so off he flew and I was playing him like a kite in the air. Managed to wind him in and pulled a knife to cut him free as close to the beak as possible when there was a scream alongside me and a little tacker standing near yells out "Don,t kill him mister!"
Took a lot of convincing I can tell you!!
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:44 am

Blue wrote:Fishing at Barwon Heads had a similar experience with a gull picking my baited hook as it lay on the sand. Bail was open so off he flew and I was playing him like a kite in the air. Managed to wind him in and pulled a knife to cut him free as close to the beak as possible when there was a scream alongside me and a little tacker standing near yells out "Don,t kill him mister!"
Took a lot of convincing I can tell you!!
Blue

Gulls have soft beaks,they will bite, but not hurt.
Usually the hole in their beak will be larger than the barb, so you can remove it quite easily.

Gra

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:48 pm

throw a towel over their head and it calms them down heaps. firm grip too, just dont squeeze too hard. applies to most birds.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:17 am

Can't really remember any off the top of my head but in my last trip I had a swell shark ripped to pieces by a massive gorilla

Return to “General”