Stuff that happens while fishing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Stuff that happens while fishing

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:12 pm

Ouch!
That does sound very painful!

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:15 am

phil1818 wrote:Anchored up for the first time in a roaring tide in the western entrance, went to pull the anchor up and had the entire 100m of rope pulled clean through my hands and gone 1 hour into the trip..

Left 3 rods in the rod holders, got to the next spot after crashing through some chop and wooshka no more rods!!

Plunged my hand into the bait bucket without looking and ran the old didget straight down the blade of the bait knife...

Had a rod in the holder buckle over so hard because I hadn’t set the drag that when I lifted it I pulled the holder out and straight into the drink then busted off to finish the job :rofl:

To cap it off I drove the boat up onto the trailer way too hot and nearly put it into the tub of the Ute smashing a big chunck out of the hull in the process..

#weapon boater/fisherman :rofl: :rofl:
Lol sounds like fun lol
Some rookie mistakes that you only learn from experience

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:19 am

Nude up wrote:Don’t feel that bad years ago a mate floated past me and said he had lost his anchor I said no worries I had a spare he said you haven’t got 5 mt of chain and 100 mt of rope to go with it have you. His deckie tied a slip knot but the rookie mistake not attaching the end of the rope to the boat. He didn’t live that down for a while.
Classic rookie mistakes

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:21 am

mpharris66 wrote:Surf fishing at Kilcunda few years back, had to cut the morning short after landing my first salmon. 12 yr old ran a barb deep into his heel, I thought I might be able to extract but thought better of it, packed everything up, trip to Wonthaggi hospital for quick jab and push thru...not before hunting down a bag of ice for that “prize salmon”. Good times!
Ouch

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:30 pm

Fishing on isolated jetties and at night time I have had encounters with the general.public that I would rather not have. Recently I was fishing alone in a semi isolated location and a fellow approached me and wanted my help in resolving an issue with his girlfriend being raped by her brother. WTF.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Far out...WTF?

Paul Foot

Post by Paul Foot » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:25 pm

Lightningx wrote:Far out...WTF?
Yeah recently arrived in the country they were, I go fishing to relax not to be hassled by nutbags.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:59 pm

Paul Foot wrote:
Lightningx wrote:Far out...WTF?
Yeah recently arrived in the country they were, I go fishing to relax not to be hassled by nutbags.
Yea that kind of discussion is definitely not needed while going for a fish :down:
Stuff that.

PJ72

Post by PJ72 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:14 pm

I was coming back into Hastings after a dead day fishing as the weather was starting to turn, going through the left, right, left, right of the long channel, I went to step back when I hit some chop and near tripped over my ice box that had walked across the floor with the rough chop, so I looked ahead, saw I was in the middle of the channel, so I turned around quickly and pushed the box back in place, stood up and grabbed the wheel as I hit the side of the channel, the boat just about did a 90 degree turn and I was stuck on the bank.
I was lucky that I had grabbed the wheel or I would have been thrown overboard, probably doing some damage on my Bimini top on the way over, I had seriously underestimated the tide flow and affect of the wind. I lifted the motor to wash out the water inlets and prop that were caked with mud, then preceded to try to get myself off the bank to no avail. I sat there for a while trying to figure out how I was going to get myself off the bank as I watched people drive past ignoring me. As I was sitting there cursing those people, over the space of 20 or so minutes, I felt the back of the boat move, so I tried again and moved the boat off the bank.
So I made it back to the ramp with a bruised ego, and I try to make sure I don't do anything that stupid again

phil1818

Post by phil1818 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:07 pm

PJ72 wrote:I was coming back into Hastings after a dead day fishing as the weather was starting to turn, going through the left, right, left, right of the long channel, I went to step back when I hit some chop and near tripped over my ice box that had walked across the floor with the rough chop, so I looked ahead, saw I was in the middle of the channel, so I turned around quickly and pushed the box back in place, stood up and grabbed the wheel as I hit the side of the channel, the boat just about did a 90 degree turn and I was stuck on the bank.
I was lucky that I had grabbed the wheel or I would have been thrown overboard, probably doing some damage on my Bimini top on the way over, I had seriously underestimated the tide flow and affect of the wind. I lifted the motor to wash out the water inlets and prop that were caked with mud, then preceded to try to get myself off the bank to no avail. I sat there for a while trying to figure out how I was going to get myself off the bank as I watched people drive past ignoring me. As I was sitting there cursing those people, over the space of 20 or so minutes, I felt the back of the boat move, so I tried again and moved the boat off the bank.
So I made it back to the ramp with a bruised ego, and I try to make sure I don't do anything that stupid again
See that just about every time I venture out into western port, I often think about going to help then re-think real quick and don’t because the chance of me getting stuck also trying to help isn’t real appealing :rofl:

Return to “General”