Stuff that happens while fishing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Stuff that happens while fishing

Post by purple5ive » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:07 am

A FEW from myself
Casting hardbody lure and feeling proud as punch to see it sailing away to the distance then realising its not coming back (2 lost this way)
Trimming the leader end with lure attached instead of tag end then picking up lure and chucking into the water to see if its rigged straight only to have the lure sink down and disappear (3 or so lost this way)
Casting out the surf rod with bail arm still in place and see 2 ounce sinkers flying into the distance (lost count of how many disappeared like this)
Turning up to fish without bait.
Loosing bait bucket (with all the bait) overboard cause the bucket wasn’t secured
Loosing the anchor cause it never came back up when it was retrieved.

Krisstiglic

Post by Krisstiglic » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:09 am

My mate threw the anchor in with no rope attached

Same bloke went to sit down in the tinnie completely missed the seat and done a perfect scuba entry

Me and a mate were casting lures standing back to back and went to cast at the same time and my lure hooked on to he's rod and casted his rod and real in never to be seen again

scott__henning
Has liked: 1 time

Post by scott__henning » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:18 am

Casting hard body lures from the boat for salmon, and managed to cast my mates hat a good 30m, from right off the top of his head

MadMullet

Post by MadMullet » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:23 am

lmfao i don't think i can top any of the crackers above...still gigglng like im half cut...
only really got a few...

-had a 10kg Mack chase a bloody great stickbait out of the water and try and bite me in the throat
-hooked and fought a 5 1/2 ft croc on fly..... didn't have pliers long enough to get the fly back....sob...loved that popper fly :(
-had a 70 cm barra jump in the boat first thing when throwing a cast net round or popeyes....only fish seen all day
-sunk a lure (two trebles, two barbs) into a client's head...he didn't even yell at me (Onya Merv wherever you are)

tee hee
in vino veritas ....make mine a double

jessos1

Post by jessos1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:26 pm

The other day down at the yarra I was sitting with a mate after a long wait with no bites I realised I had left my drag super tight so I set it and put bells on, sit down with my mate crack a beer and bang my rod goes balistic in the corner of my eye I see the tip bent like I've never seen it before! something huge on! so I sprint over slip on my face and see my rod and rod holder being slowly pulled into the drink I felt so helpless lying there watching it being pulled in I managed to get up and grab my rod after a huge fight I got snagged for about 15 mins I left it hoping to have the fish take off again then I got snapped off :( (Whatever it was would have been a PB for me since I've never really caught anything over 35-40cm)

Another story a few weeks ago went down to Eildon for a day after hitting up a pub and having a solid session on the brews me and my mates decide to go back and fish, got to a nice bank set up, lines in and my mate had power bait on he was easily the most pissed haha and his rod starts taking off down the bank so he runs up with his stubbie and all in one hilarious action picks up his rod slips on his ass saves his beer from spilling and hooks a dirty carp and pulls it in. Deffinatly the funniest thing I've seen.

Have a few more but these are the funniest.
PB's (most are estimates no brag mat) Carp 40cm, Redfin 35cm, Silver Trevally 27cm, Eel 1m+, Mullet 25cm, Sand whiting 20cm.
Wish list: Rainbow and Brown Trout, Bigger Redfin, Gummy Shark, Estuary Perch and Snapper

benny_melb

Post by benny_melb » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:15 pm

finally gone thru all post in this topic, I've got a few from myself.

1. Few years ago I was fishing patto river mouth with my mate, running sinker rigs with a small ball sinker. It stuck on the rock wall when I try to retrieve. I then grab the line (mono) and started pulling back, suddenly the sinker got out of the rock and hit my finger very hard due to the tension on the line, and my finger goes red and swollen for almost two weeks, very pain and could move my finger for the first few days...

2. Fishing at Docklands with few of my mates. Fishing with bait, setup the rod and we moved aside to have a smoke. Then one of the rod tip started to bend down and my mate starting to run to the rod. When he reaches the rod he realized that its not his rod then he turn back and said "its not my rod".....WTF....

3. Fishing with the missus and when she setting up the rod, she thread the line thru the guide without going via the bail arm.....took her a while to tie the knot and hook/sinker and then realized the line didn't go via the bail arm, has to cut the line and re-do from scratch....

nickfish

Post by nickfish » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:37 am

when i was little i was fishing at docklands and i went to cast and as i did the casting motion i hooked a lady riding her bike and it tore through her bike cloths. (i was 8 years old)
another one from when i was little i got snagged and started screaming that i caught a sleeping whale. and every one on the pier started laughing.
the last one was two years ago we went on a family trip to queens cliff so i bought i new rod with my Christmas money first cast s sting ray comes along and take my squid gig and pulls the rod clean out of my hands. the stingray was swimming with a rod following it

Moffo

Post by Moffo » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:29 pm

I was recently at a Pier (a well used fishings pier). There were around maybe 10 people fishing (Not a big pier). An gentlemen comes walking down the pier, pulls out his policeman and starts taking a **** LITERALLY a meter from me. I kindly asked him to cease what he was doing and leave my general area (obviously with a bit more language),

The fella then decides to tell me how good the squid fishing is, sets up camp next door on the pier.

I left shortly after.

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:22 pm

Caught a Seagull off Station Pier, everyone watching to see a big fish get landed. Very embarrassing

Treble in the arm, A trip to Hospital

Bloody Ducks pinched most of the worms out of my bucket

Don't know how many hats/caps I've lost

Moons ago left all my gear at home, Don't laugh (had a few under the belt) Still a top weekend

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:51 pm

Took my newish GF fishing, first time ever casting on a surf beach pulls out a 61cm aussie salmon beating my PB by 10 cms. Her cast went all of 20m into the white wash and while I was explaining what she did wrong she hooked up, her first ever fish on lure.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “General”