Stuff that happens while fishing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
sloth
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Stuff that happens while fishing

Post by sloth » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:44 pm

She showed you!

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:50 pm

DougieK wrote:. Her cast went all of 20m into the white wash and while I was explaining what she did wrong she hooked up, her first ever fish on lure.
And from that moment on she will not listen to you again. Get used to the words "what would you know" :icon_lolz:
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Cornacarpio
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Cornacarpio » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:59 pm

I was canoeing in a creek a few years back chasing trout, in the middle of winter, I might add. Because the canoe was rather unstable, I decided to pull into the bank and get on dry land to relieve myself. I was so relaxed and relieved that I was able to relieve myself that I forgot just how unstable the canoe was and went to step back into the canoe as I would a yacht or ship or something...needless to say I went ass over tit straight into the freezing water in about half a second flat - and all my fishing gear went with me as well!

My mate was just around the bend in a canoe as well and heard what happened and when he saw me with my head bobbing out of the water trying to climb back on the water he just pissed himself laughing!

Worse thing was I had to go back in to retrieve the fishing rod and a few bits and pieces (lucky the water was really clear and could see straight to the bottom no probs). I also had to relive the canoe of some excess ballast that it had taken in during the fall. It was freezing that day and I stripped off all my clothes when I got to shore, as the wind was making it worse. It was a long paddle back to the car - on a freezing day in the middle of winter - in nothing but my jocks.

But I caught a few fish that day which more than made up for my little mishap :)
Winners forget they're in a race. They just love to run.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:07 pm

Raulfc7 wrote:
DougieK wrote:. Her cast went all of 20m into the white wash and while I was explaining what she did wrong she hooked up, her first ever fish on lure.
And from that moment on she will not listen to you again. Get used to the words "what would you know" :icon_lolz:
She has since got two giant duskies and about 50 other fish in the last couple of weeks, but i'll always keep hearing about this one i think.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

gecko61

Post by gecko61 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:31 pm

lassoed a salmon at lake purrembeete about 10 metres from the hook/casted a surf rod out only to have the top half go flying into the drink and then got snagged and lost it/tried in vane to launch my boat with the tie downs still attached/misses had a kookaburra take of with her rod after eating a scrubby still atatched to her hook while she went for a pee./hooked a fishing rod with a fish still attached/hooked a pair of sunglasses in the goulbourn river/had one of the biggest runs in ppb only to land a six inche flatty/ seen aroura australis in the southern sky of ppb/ and plenty of others that make fishing what it is , An adventure cheers

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:35 pm

purple5ive wrote:......................................................................................................................................
Casting hardbody lure and feeling proud as punch to see it sailing away to the distance then realising its not coming back (2 lost this way).....................................................................................................................................
I have done this before but last night took it to the next level! Fishing Waranga Basin after dark, I use rod bells and a glowstick. Normally I take the bells off when casting, forgot to do it! Launched the bells / glowstick into the night sky! Looked rather impressive, like a green 'shooting star'! :-D
cheers
Jim
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Kuerschie

Post by Kuerschie » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:20 pm

Read through this thread and had a good laugh so far. Here's a few from my fishing adventures:

Went for a holiday down the Yorke Peninsula in SA for salmon. Hit a good school and was getting a fish a cast on metal lures, all of a sudden my line goes tight and starts disappearing from my reel. Really fast run and with the spool half empty I spot a dolphin free jump with 100m of line all above the waters surface in the air. He'd taken my lure instead of eating the salmon. I ended up breaking the line after locking it the drag, no lure back but got all my braid back. Same holiday I fell over on slippery rocks and slid on my bum for 30m down into deep water.

Have had my fish taken by sharks and seals after hooking salmon and school mulloway on lures. Also hooked two seagulls on separate occasions; one on a hardbody, one on a squid jag.

Lost many pieces of gear; one baitcaster combo to a carp after the drag was set too high, a small box of trout lures out of my kayak, numerous salmon lures after casting and breaking the line.

One of the worst times was hooking up to a very large stingray on heavy gear and fighting for quite a while before a standoff occurred. I leant back on the rod to bring it up and the trace snapped and my rod hit me in the face.....

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:40 pm

Hahaha Just Read The Thread, I've only got a few funny things that've happened to me.

Casting salmon Lures When The Bail Arm Trip For no Apparent reason, resulting in lost lures (Around 15 :( )

Tieing on a squid jig in the boat when my dad knocks my rod over and pulls squid jig spikes into my hand.

Casting out a NEW Z-Man Soft plastic on a NEW JigHead and seeing after I work it back in there was no Soft plastic on my jighead, Soft plastic fell off...

Spooled by a salmon on a brand new lure Because i Was Using an old Reel That had a rear Drag (Didn't Know Until Just Before it spooled me) on it and was under spooled with line, Lost It due to wasn't able to realise it had rear drag in time and was Fiddling up front trying to tighten the drag :doh1:

Boat Got rocked by a wave from a boat coming too close while trying a new rig and smacked my self in the face with a sinker.

Cheers.
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Daisysky

Post by Daisysky » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:43 pm

i caught two fishes.
The end..
:super: :haha2:

Seano

Post by Seano » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:08 pm

when living in darwin we use to go fishing from the army break wall and use a prawning net dunked in the water to keep our live baits fresh, untill the resident rock cod like the look of a dozen or so mullet/herring and took the net for a swim, made a hell of a noise the pole being ripped out from between 2 large rocks.

Return to “General”