Rod Length Etiquette?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Vekta
Has liked: 4 times

Rod Length Etiquette?

Post by Vekta » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:59 am

So I was looking around at Rods to go with my Shimano 8000 Baitrunner and I started to wonder…

“How long is too long to be polite?”

For example, lets say I have my reel on a 10-12 foot rod and I want to fish on a pier. Is there an unwritten rule for maximum rod length I shouldn’t bring to a pier for the sake of practicality and respect for others on the pier?

I have looked at 8 foot general purpose rods online and fumbled around with the 10 foot surf rod I have sitting in my garage to see how it feels. I can see some potential issues with places like public piers with rods that long.

Being primarily a freshwater angler, the longest rod I typically use for bottom fishing is a 7 foot rod. Channel, Flathead, and Blue Catfish generally don’t require especially long rods to target.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: Rod Length Etiquette?

Post by bowl » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:43 am

:ch: Nope.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:22 am

I've used 14 Foot surf rods off piers before and never had issues with other fishos, depending on what your after and the condition of the location you'll need certain rod lengths to tackle the fish. What I find anoying are those big long squid poles everyone spread out at Queenscliff pier, they have no rod etiquettes over there that's for sure.

Vekta

Post by Vekta » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:49 am

Kenle wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:22 am
I've used 14 Foot surf rods off piers before and never had issues with other fishos, depending on what your after and the condition of the location you'll need certain rod lengths to tackle the fish. What I find anoying are those big long squid poles everyone spread out at Queenscliff pier, they have no rod etiquettes over there that's for sure.
Since I actually have an 8000 Baitrunner in hand already I figure it would be pretty handy to take with me to AU. (haven't had a chance to use it once since I got the thing) The girl friend was telling me about the per kg prices for Snapper and whatnot in the local grocer down the road. :o_0:

Really anything with some weight I can pull out of the salt would make a heavier set up a good investment for the household.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:46 pm

Vekta wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:49 am
Kenle wrote:
Since I actually have an 8000 Baitrunner in hand already I figure it would be pretty handy to take with me to AU. (haven't had a chance to use it once since I got the thing) The girl friend was telling me about the per kg prices for Snapper and whatnot in the local grocer down the road. :o_0:

Really anything with some weight I can pull out of the salt would make a heavier set up a good investment for the household.
No limits on rod lengths but you will learn Jetty Fishing etiquette really quickly, especially during snapper season as everyone will be trying to cast over you with their legion of rods

Vekta

Post by Vekta » Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:26 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:46 pm
Vekta wrote:
Kenle wrote:

No limits on rod lengths but you will learn Jetty Fishing etiquette really quickly, especially during snapper season as everyone will be trying to cast over you with their legion of rods
I'd rather fish super early in the morning or for something else if that's the case. :( I want to fish with my Rod... not do this...

:Bx: :lo:

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:50 pm

Never heard of anything regarding etiquette over rod length. Just don't cast over anyone's line and generally be aware of what you're doing and you should be fine.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:56 pm

You are permitted to have 4 lines in the saltwater, only 2 in fresh.
If I go to Wyndham Cove breakwater, I take 3 rods, 2 with bait and one with lures, mainly incase the salmon come past (it's never happened to me though).
Cheers Gra

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:06 pm

Vekta wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:26 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:46 pm
Vekta wrote:
Kenle wrote:

I'd rather fish super early in the morning or for something else if that's the case. :( I want to fish with my Rod... not do this...

:Bx: :lo:
People sleep on the best jetty's during snapper season, it's almost impossible to get a spot. There are other less populated alternatives though, plenty of info on here

Don Fisher
Has liked: 16 times

Post by Don Fisher » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:31 pm

Vekta wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:59 am
So I was looking around at Rods to go with my Shimano 8000 Baitrunner and I started to wonder…

“How long is too long to be polite?”

For example, lets say I have my reel on a 10-12 foot rod and I want to fish on a pier. Is there an unwritten rule for maximum rod length I shouldn’t bring to a pier for the sake of practicality and respect for others on the pier?

I have looked at 8 foot general purpose rods online and fumbled around with the 10 foot surf rod I have sitting in my garage to see how it feels. I can see some potential issues with places like public piers with rods that long.

Being primarily a freshwater angler, the longest rod I typically use for bottom fishing is a 7 foot rod. Channel, Flathead, and Blue Catfish generally don’t require especially long rods to target.
Trial and error mate, till you find what works for you.
Some people like using big rods on rock walls and fish from up higher,
One of my mates uses smaller rods and goes down closer to the water so he can grab the fish easier if he gets a good one.
But yeah depends where you are as well.

Return to “General”