New to boating/fishing - Help!

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
FrankieFish

New to boating/fishing - Help!

Post by FrankieFish » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:55 pm

Looking for some advice/assistance in how to go about buying a boat.

I have been semi looking for a boat for the past 6-7 months and have now moved to the ‘serious’ looking stage, finding myself further behind than when I started looking - new information, learnings/education etc.
I really don’t know where to start and it seems to be becoming more difficult as the market gets thinner by the day. We would like something in the 5-5.5m, ideally with a small cabin (not a deal breaker), large fishing deck.
I have looked at Hunter Breeze 510 & 530 and Signature 542F and RF’s and like the look, style and feedback on these.
My budget has increased significantly over the past 8 weeks, going from a modest $15k budget, to this week looking in the $30-$35k bracket - ideally would like something in the $25-30k region.
Am I starting with the right brands/types of boat?
Am I realistically going to get something decent at this price point, where I won’t have to be spending a bucket in 2-3 years time?
We’re not really fussed about the 2 v 4 stroke arguments as I’ve heard plenty of pros/cons for both.
Is there such thing as a buyers advocate for boats - I have read about pre-purchase inspections but I think it would be hard to get the planets to align, particularly with private sales.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Re: New to boating/fishing - Help!

Post by Mattblack » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:09 pm

I'd wait a few more months as prices are cheaper over winter. Petrol prices are going to to be an issue for a lot of people soon, so the 1st things to go are toys in the shed that aren't getting used.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:11 pm

Budget is great, you should get a good boat for that price in the sizes you are after.
Def get the 4 stroke if you can, it's going to help in the long run, servicing it will be a budget breaker but there's no shortcuts there.

What sort of fishing will you be doing, and do you have a capable car to tow and a storage facility to store the boat? These can all cause major issues if not carefully considered prior to purchase.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:37 pm

542 is popular size.
Haines great brand.
Caribbean concord/intruder.
Seafarer Viking
Whittley 1750-1950
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

FrankieFish

Post by FrankieFish » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:56 am

Thanks.

Fishing will predominantly PPB. As I said, I’m not super experienced fishy - long time lover, long time non-catcher. I’d like to have the option of heading out through the heads one day…but not a necessity.
Can tow up to 1800kg but will launch mostly from Indented Head (2km) or St Leonards (5km) so not super far to travel. My preference is fibreglass
Housing will be tight in garage for the meantime but works on our garage we’re supposed to have commenced last month and will be more than big enough (13m x 4.5m but will house our Jet Skis also). Should be complete mid-May

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:54 pm

No reason (I can think of) not to demand a 4 stroke in that size and that price range. $30k will get you a good boat in the lower 5 meter range second hand. Make sure to check the trailer is in good nick too as it’s often overlooked and can add quite. Bit extra if you need to replace it later. If you are buying it anywhere near the water then I would ask for a test of the boat in the water as a last step before committing to buying it. You basically want to be sure you’ll buy it if it all works out well on the water so you’re not wasting anyones time. Boats sell a fair bit cheaper in winter than in summer as someone else said. Servicing an outboard is very easy to do and saves money if your half way technically minded (it’s just oils and filters really, an impeller every so often (100 hours?)).

For mostly bay work then something beamy without too much vee in the back will be stable at rest and give more fishing room. If you want to do more work offshore or punch through the chop nice and quick then you want to look for a narrower, deeper vee. All boats are a compromise but some are definitely better than others. The makes you suggested are reputable.

If you know someone with a boat then you could ask them to inspect with you. With older fibreglass boats it’s usually the transom, floors, stringers that have issues but for your budget you’ll likely be looking at newer boats that aren’t old enough to have these issues.

If you find something you like you can post it up on here and I’m sure a few people will be familiar with the model and offer their thoughts.

Cheers.

FrankieFish

Post by FrankieFish » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:51 am

Thanks!
I guess I’ll start to demand a 4 stroke then 😂 there are just not many that we’ve found at that price point, so naturally I figured that in my range, I would only be able to get a 2 stroke.

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:13 am

FrankieFish wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:51 am
Thanks!
I guess I’ll start to demand a 4 stroke then 😂 there are just not many that we’ve found at that price point, so naturally I figured that in my range, I would only be able to get a 2 stroke.
“Demand” may have been a poor choice of words. What I meant was that a 4 stroke engine should be very high on your priority list when buying a boat now days and especially in the size and budget you’re looking at. Have ya seen the price of fuel lately!?!
Any four stroke motor from Yamaha, Mercury, Suzuki, Honda is a good bet. The more recent the model the better, the lower the hours the better, a service history is preferable (although I don’t have one as I do my own).

Amazingly in second hand boats the hulls portion of the total price is rather small when you add up the cost of having to add or replace an outboard, trailer, electronics.

FrankieFish

Post by FrankieFish » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:47 pm

Cheers. Really appreciate the learnings. So much more helpful in a handful of posts than after 5 boat dealer visits.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:49 pm

skronkman wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:13 am
FrankieFish wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:51 am
Thanks!
“Demand” may have been a poor choice of words. What I meant was that a 4 stroke engine should be very high on your priority list when buying a boat now days and especially in the size and budget you’re looking at. Have ya seen the price of fuel lately!?!
Any four stroke motor from Yamaha, Mercury, Suzuki, Honda is a good bet. The more recent the model the better, the lower the hours the better, a service history is preferable (although I don’t have one as I do my own).

Amazingly in second hand boats the hulls portion of the total price is rather small when you add up the cost of having to add or replace an outboard, trailer, electronics.
Hull integrity is another thing & a cost factor to add if you get a hull that requires repairs over time.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Return to “General”