Barwon heads questions

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Barwon heads questions

Post by ducky » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:27 pm

Hey guys. Got an opportunity to get down to barwon heads this weekend and into the next week.

Have got plans to spend a bit of time down st leonards way on the ting. But I do want to head offshore from barwon heads to suss it out especially if the weather plays ball. For the locals down that way I'm assuming it's worth a poke for squid. Drifting for gummys and flatties etc. I'll pack a few tuna rods incase the weather is pristine. is there any other fishing that's worth doing down that way?

I've watched a few videos and will pre suss out the bar at the bluff lookout. If it's too nasty we'll just launch at Queenscliff.

denis barden

Re: Barwon heads questions

Post by denis barden » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:38 am

Check out the sets before you cross bar/entrance
Stood a 6m plate boat vertical and broke mates thumb about 7 yrs ago at Barwon Heads
Never go there again

ducky

Post by ducky » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:44 am

What were the conditions like at the time Dennis? Was it slack water? Decent swell? Mid tide?

I did the old forum search and read up on barwon heads. Seems a lot of people push out in smaller boats in the right conditions. But just need to be cognizant of any weather changes

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:27 am

With the amount of water pushing down the Barwon you might want to give it a miss. I have never been out the bar there my boat will not fit under the bridge. I know plenty who have and have had no issues. Just pick the time and tide swell etc. Going out the heads best at slack water same as high tide at Williamstown.
The weather Sunday to Thursday look awesome personally I will give Sunday a miss due to crowds unless you go super early. I will be out mon onwards.
Big squid is being caught in the Bight near the marine park there will be loads of boats there Dennis's spots at St leonards are going well to

ducky

Post by ducky » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:57 am

Nude up wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:27 am
With the amount of water pushing down the Barwon you might want to give it a miss. I have never been out the bar there my boat will not fit under the bridge. I know plenty who have and have had no issues. Just pick the time and tide swell etc. Going out the heads best at slack water same as high tide at Williamstown.
The weather Sunday to Thursday look awesome personally I will give Sunday a miss due to crowds unless you go super early. I will be out mon onwards.
Big squid is being caught in the Bight near the marine park there will be loads of boats there Dennis's spots at St leonards are going well to
I'll be doing st lenno Sunday. Gentleman's hours I'd guess considering I'm night fishing wpb Saturday night. Plan is to go have a look at the bar Sunday arvo to make a call for Monday. Good point re: water pushing out. Hopefully it's calmed down by Monday. If you see a little formula out with 2 fat blokes on it say g'day lol.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:17 pm

ducky wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:57 am
Nude up wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:27 am
I'll be doing st lenno Sunday. Gentleman's hours I'd guess considering I'm night fishing wpb Saturday night. Plan is to go have a look at the bar Sunday arvo to make a call for Monday. Good point re: water pushing out. Hopefully it's calmed down by Monday. If you see a little formula out with 2 fat blokes on it say g'day lol.
Lol I will be off portarlington different spots from deep to shallow weed beds either my boat 650 haines or my neighbours side console sea jay.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:13 pm

It looked ok so I went for it and stuffed up
Found out later that day there was a surf carnival at Ocean Grove

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:35 pm

denis barden wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:13 pm
It looked ok so I went for it and stuffed up
Found out later that day there was a surf carnival at Ocean Grove
Did you check weather report , swell bom,willy weather ,rasta surf or anything .
Or just look with Ur eyes and take a punt.. :(
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:42 pm

Checked Willi looked ok looked at water looked ok
A 6m boat goes up hi
The same weekend a photographer lost all his gear and flipped his boat

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:12 pm

I have been out through both Port Phillip Heads and Barwon Heads (not my boat) several times and I think Barwon Heads is safer. Port Phillip you need to cover a lot of ground to clear the danger area and even on good days it can be scary especially when there is water swirling around you.

Not exactly sure what boat and tow vehicle set-up you have but have you considered a beach launch at Torquay. On good days it is heaps safer and if it's a northly it is flat just like a pond.

Return to “General”