What the hell did I hook onto

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

What the hell did I hook onto

Post by trout-hunter » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:29 pm

Hey everyone,
Something real weird happened to me up at sugarloaf, it was about half hour before dark and i was casting out a soft plastic about 15 meters away from some submerged trees, after a good 4 or 5 casts in the exact same spot something massive grabbed my plastic the second it hit the water and took off to the trees, the drag went nuts and it went straight to the bottom of one of the trees, now Ive fished there atleast twice a week for the past few years and never had something like this happen.. it was unstoppable, once it went down there was no stopping it and although it was still hooked it also felt snagged, my 16 year old nephew was all of a sudden in his jocks and swimming out, he got to the tree that was about 20 meters out and then followed my line down, he said he got to about 2.5 to 3 meters down and his foot hit a giant fish that felt about 20cm wide but had no spiky fins, so that rules out big redfin or yellow belly, but what else is in there thats that big and takes lures aswell as takes cover under logs and trees. Never heard of cod being in there but im not sure on how water is pumped up from the yarra, could cod eggs also be pumped up? My only other theory is that my plastic landed on a big carps back and it took off deep and got itself snagged..
Any thoughts on what it could of been or has anyone had a similar thing happen? I stuffed around with it for about 15 minutes before my line snapped. I'm going back with my cod rod shortly, if it's a territorial fish then I'd say thats his tree and hopefully his going to be looking for a feed soon.. cheers

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Re: What the hell did I hook onto

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:00 pm

Carp will absolutely eat a plastic and run with it
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:15 pm

smokin_reels wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:00 pm
Carp will absolutely eat a plastic and run with it
Well there ya go, I'd say thats what it was, I've only ever heard of 1 person catching a carp with a plastic, ive hooked them on there back once or twice before so I was thinking thats what happened.. it just seemed different, almost like a big rock that sinks at a 45 degree angle at the speed of a blue stone brick would sink.. It happened so fast by the time I realised I had a fish on it was already to late.

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:18 pm

Yeah, you can even actively chase them and fish for them
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:48 pm

Well I've never caught a carp on a plastic before, as I said before I fish sugarloaf that often I might aswell make it my postal address, I've only ever caught carp when im bait fishing in rivers and other lakes, i know carp are in sugarloaf, just never caught one in there, I've seen big schools of them and flicked plastics all around them and they've never shown any intrest. Ahh well it was an experience thats for sure especially being on very light gear..

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:02 pm

Try using lightly weighted creature style plastics, you'll have to cast it literally in front of a feeding fish.
Ive also caught them on white paddle tails in eildon when they were skimming scum off the top and feeding on it

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:41 pm

Yeah thats the plastic I was using, reddies love them.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:42 pm

I used to go to sugarloaf specifically to target the carp on flies and plastics. They are awesome fun on light gear
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:33 pm

When i fish Sugarloaf is almost exclusively for carp. Have caught them on plastics but get better results on fly.

Nothing else in there will brick you as fast a decent carp in sugarloaf

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:30 pm

they sure do fight hard.

Return to “General”