Home & Fish and / or Camp & Fish?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Home & Fish and / or Camp & Fish?

Post by Sneaky1 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:56 pm

Just curious, are many of you travel / camp to fish? Or mostly fish your local?

I'm tempted to get a "proper" tent to do overnighters (have the rest of camp gear already) - Phillip Island or further around Gippy... Land-based or kayak. Although if camping, I'd probably lean towards land-based since I don't know the area / water.

Haven't "roughed" it for 20 odd years, thinking of re-visiting tent camping. Might even try inland fishing :o_0:

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Re: Home & Fish and / or Camp & Fish?

Post by Sebb » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:03 pm

I used to, when I was single. I did both, depends where. I got quick setup tent, super handy.
Now that I'm married and a child, i fish within <2h drive.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Charles7
Has liked: 98 times

Post by Charles7 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:04 pm

Mate I love me camping and I love me fishing but I've never really combined the two in the sense that I was camping right by the water with a rod in the whole time. Usually the camping is more drinking and smoking with a bit of fishing on the side. Would love to set up like some of those UK carp fishermen and just have a swag by the rod all night.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:25 am

Get a Kayak and paddle down the Murray River for 10 days and camp on the banks-Its a blast

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:43 am

Mostly local for me as I fish almost every W/E in Westernport by kayak and not just to fish but I use it as a bit of fitness training - a group of us have done a week at South West Rocks in NSW 5 times over the last 8 years with Covid stopping us a bit over the lock downs - We rented a house each time though for the week it worked out cheaper than pitching a test at the caravan park and only a couple of min to the launch site --- this year though a couple of us are heading to Eden again for a week over the ANZAC week for a bit of off shore kayak fishing and again not tenting it but an onsite cabin on the beach --

I have both cabined and camper trailered at Portland and checking out Eden is to look at options around the same distance in travel time it's about an hour longer in distance but probably has more options to fish even if the weather doesn't play nice

I must say I have taken up sea kayaking as well and will probably look for a small 2 man tent for over nighters ( just big enough house my self and some gear ) but that needs to pack small and be lightish
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:46 pm

I spent the almost a decade wandering around clifftops in Victoria and abroad, eventually found a spot I liked so much I moved here.

I barely camp at all anymore, mostly because I have world class rock fishing at my doorstep and no need to travel long distances.

I really really enjoy swag life, and feel like I should make some sorties further north.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Sneaky1
Has liked: 71 times

Post by Sneaky1 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:44 pm

Charles7 wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:04 pm
Mate I love me camping and I love me fishing but I've never really combined the two in the sense that I was camping right by the water with a rod in the whole time. Usually the camping is more drinking and smoking with a bit of fishing on the side. Would love to set up like some of those UK carp fishermen and just have a swag by the rod all night.
Was thinking along those lines too - camp by a river / lake for a couple of nights, or foreshore caravan park - sink a few while fishing in the evening / night. As opposed to my usual: get up - drive to the bay - come back by midday. It's awesome but still within the suburbia - not quite a "getaway".

Paulanderson
Has liked: 63 times

Post by Paulanderson » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:54 am

Back in the day I had a Holden panel van with a bed in the back, a box of basic stuff (frypan and billy etc), an axe and spade and an esky and roamed Victoria and the snowy mountains chasing mainly trout - just stopping wherever it suited me. Some good memories of those days.

luka
Has liked: 5 times

Post by luka » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:08 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:46 pm
I spent the almost a decade wandering around clifftops in Victoria and abroad, eventually found a spot I liked so much I moved here.

I barely camp at all anymore, mostly because I have world class rock fishing at my doorstep and no need to travel long distances.

I really really enjoy swag life, and feel like I should make some sorties further north.
Where'd ya move to Dougie? Sounds like the dream

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:49 pm

Not enough anymore will have to change that.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

Return to “General”