Pier Fishing Rod Question

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
lucashasil
Has liked: 1 time

Pier Fishing Rod Question

Post by lucashasil » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:49 am

Hello everyone, let me preface this post by stating I'm a bit of a noobie and still learning.

I've gotten into fishing recently, particularly along piers/breakwalls along eastern PPB and have been having a blast (although not catching a lot... yet). I've been focused on bait fishing for now as I want to get a good feel for it before I move onto lures.

I had a question for you guys regarding the use of multiple rods at a pier and how you keep track of/avoid losing rods while fishing. I currently have two rods (one really cheapo kmart one, and another slightly nicer but nothing too special) but have just been using one and pretty much holding it the whole time I'm at the pier. I'm wanting to start bringing my second rod so I can have two different setups (e.g. maybe one flathead/bottom rod and my other with a snapper setup), but I'm not sure what the correct way of setting up my rods are at the pier so that I don't accidentally have one get pulled in by a fish.

This is probably a stupid question, but do you just lean them against the pier railing with the drag essentially off and that's all? I'm not sure if anyone had any tips or advice for the safest way to have rods setup at a pier to avoid having one pulled in by a fish.

Cheers guys.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Re: Pier Fishing Rod Question

Post by Sebb » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:36 pm

For rocks, get yourself a rod holder. It'll help to keep your rod secured, and not getting knocked on the rocks (pulled by fish). Set the drag low but not zero. You still want some pressure to set the hook
For piers, there's few rod holders to suit each. Some people make their own. Some people tie them.
You can just lean them on the railings or just on the ground with low drag, but still risking it. Best to get a rod holder.
Wall screw hooks from Bunnings is good too. Just screw it to the wood to hold the reel, position it so you can still pull and strike but enough to hold the rod if it gets pulled by fish.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

lucashasil

Post by lucashasil » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:35 pm

Cheers Sebb, I did have a look at some rod holders but honestly had no idea what was actually worth getting. They seem quite expensive for what they are, but I guess if it saves a rod it's probably worth it.

The Bunnings wall screw hooks sounds like an interesting idea, I guess I would be concerned that you could mess up the wood railing if enough people started screwing hooks into the wood, but definitely something I might consider.

Seems like perhaps a good solution would be some sort of loose bungee/elastic which you can just wrap around the rod and the railings which you just need to quickly remove if you get something.

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:05 pm

lucashasil wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:35 pm
Cheers Sebb, I did have a look at some rod holders but honestly had no idea what was actually worth getting. They seem quite expensive for what they are, but I guess if it saves a rod it's probably worth it.

The Bunnings wall screw hooks sounds like an interesting idea, I guess I would be concerned that you could mess up the wood railing if enough people started screwing hooks into the wood, but definitely something I might consider.

Seems like perhaps a good solution would be some sort of loose bungee/elastic which you can just wrap around the rod and the railings which you just need to quickly remove if you get something.
Heaps of options to buy.
Or make your own.

I use surf steel rod holders for rocks and either the small landbased rod holder like below for piers (stick it in the cracks or I use Irwin clamps from Bunnings with a piece of wood to hold it).

Small price to save your rods and reels. Rods and reels still be on the same place. While rope or bungee cord will still let the rod and reel flying and get knocked around the rocks/pier, potentially breaking them.
Attachments
32-7d3c1f77-0716-4b6b-9af6-978f4a8d3304-_1_1000x.jpg
IMG_20240108_220003.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
WeChatImage_20230102112539_600x.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tackleberry
Has liked: 302 times

Post by Tackleberry » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:21 pm

These were built for the Geelong pier so might work on others .
Screenshot_20240108_220926_Gallery_copy_768x1647_1.jpg
Screenshot_20240108_220930_Gallery_copy_1024x2196_copy_768x1647.jpg
Screenshot_20240108_220921_Gallery.jpg
"When the people fear the Govn't, that is Tyrany, when the Govn't fear the people, that is Liberty"

Experience is what you get when **** happens

lucashasil

Post by lucashasil » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:48 am

Thanks for the options guys! I'm going to have a better look into these today and see what looks suitable, seems like there are a number of good options, it's just working out what will work for the piers I have been going to.

Thanks heaps!

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:14 pm

You could always tie them to a rail or something with a bit of cord. Dont forget to use circle hooks with a tight drag on your unattended rods...the fish will hook themselves.

lucashasil

Post by lucashasil » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:27 am

Thanks Matt,

That's what I was thinking of doing, just using some bungee or something and lightly tying them at the bottom or something just to stop them flipping over. I've been using circle hooks also for that exact reason! Although I've been running a fairly light drag just so that the rod isn't easily going to go over, but perhaps a tighter drag might be better if I'm tying them.

Return to “General”