Lure colours?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Re: Lure colours?

Post by Lightningx » Thu May 05, 2016 11:17 pm

Marty.A wrote:Found these vids on You Tube in regards to how lure colours change at different depth's I found them very interesting so I thought I would share them.
They are only a few minutes each and 4 vids in total. The guy in the vids is a Australian scientist and lure maker.

https://youtu.be/tpQTh_tnJ6c Part 1

https://youtu.be/TTi5nJqEzvo Part 2

https://youtu.be/QTqyVX3oZk0 Part 3

https://youtu.be/p5P6UMGiT7o Part 4
Enjoyed watching these! Interesting. Thanks for sharing it mate :thumbsup:

Allsorts

Post by Allsorts » Sat May 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Tiny things really matter in lure fishing - but I dont think colour is one of the things that needs most attention. Technique is more important.

The reason lure manufacturers pay heaps of different people to tell you that colours are a vital piece of the puzzle is it sells more lures.

For instance - if you are chasing a fish who eats silver bait fish - you dont need pink, purple, green, yellow, orange, blue or red to mimic that fish - You just need one colour. And the fact that people catch them on all different colours suggests it may not be all that important

But if you believe you need a different colour for every hour of the day - you'll buy multiples of 24 different colours.

The fact that 20 people can have 20 different favourite colours for chasing the same fish, suggests there are other things to concentrate on when cracking the code

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun May 14, 2017 1:49 pm

I personally believe colour is of importance.
I've seen it happen countless times where the right color has brought in fish when nothing else works.

Some days its the retrieve. Or profile of the lure.

Allsorts

Post by Allsorts » Fri May 19, 2017 5:48 pm

purple5ive wrote:I personally believe colour is of importance.
I've seen it happen countless times where the right color has brought in fish when nothing else works.

I've been there aswell, I've watched the white lure get taken, when the beige one was ignored.

Some blokes would have said - why didnt you switch to the off-white, the bone or the ivory - and I would have said - because the bait school is sitting at 14 ft - not 10ft, and you're starting your retrieve 5 seconds too early and havent taken into account how long it takes to let your lure sink because you are using " 1/8th" jigheads that actually weigh 1\10th - and your 20lb leader sinks much slower than my 10lb in this current - so you are jigging them 5 seconds before the enter the zone :)

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri May 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Allsorts wrote:

I've been there aswell, I've watched the white lure get taken, when the beige one was ignored.

Some blokes would have said - why didnt you switch to the off-white, the bone or the ivory - and I would have said - because the bait school is sitting at 14 ft - not 10ft, and you're starting your retrieve 5 seconds too early and havent taken into account how long it takes to let your lure sink because you are using " 1/8th" jigheads that actually weigh 1\10th - and your 20lb leader sinks much slower than my 10lb in this current - so you are jigging them 5 seconds before the enter the zone :)
You forgot the cream
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Allsorts

Post by Allsorts » Fri May 19, 2017 6:20 pm

They're the little things I'm talking about - I wasnt born with the "instinctive flick of the wrist" that can drag a fish up out of its comfort zone. Lord knows I've tried to mimic it to the mm.

When in the presence of someone who was born with it - I've tried to capture what they have in a bottle - I'm talking rod tip to rod tip - same leader - even the same lure retrieved by identical outfits - and the lure was tied on by the master - I hadnt even touched the lure or leader.

But when you get outfished 8 to 1 - in the space of 8 casts - and your tie on some 4lb to counter his 8lb - you have to realize the nothing is as important as technique on a particular bight - that bight will change every session - but if you are out of sinc by a few mm on a tough bight - you'll land enough to think you had a good day - but the right retrieve lands a fish a cast

Allsorts

Post by Allsorts » Fri May 19, 2017 6:26 pm

4liters wrote:
Allsorts wrote:

You forgot the cream
The "Cream" used to be my "Secret Weapon" until you mentioned it :-D

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Allsorts wrote:
4liters wrote:
Allsorts wrote:

You forgot the cream
Squid love the cream as well. More importantly colour is important when targeting cephalopod.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:16 pm

they all count when fishing be alert have a look around see whats going on have a look why the other guys catching and your not quick example of colour fishing brighton the other day water was clear i was using the squidgy silver fox i could watch the salmon just hone in on the plastic bang on one of the plastics lost the black off the back i watched the salmon hone in as before then they went nope no good put a new silver fox on watched again bang on smashed it the bait fish that ive seen swimming like hell (being chased) were close in colour i was using

Allsorts

Post by Allsorts » Fri May 19, 2017 9:22 pm

rb85 wrote:
Allsorts wrote:
4liters wrote:
Allsorts wrote:

You forgot the cream
Squid love the cream as well. More importantly colour is important when targeting cephalopod.
I was told Squid see in 50 shades of Grey and dont possess the necessary rods or cones to see all the colours of the rainbow - but I spose when your an expert in grey - you can tell the difference between light grey and dark grey.

P.s. someone needs to tell Port Phillip Bay squid that there hasnt been a prawn sighted in PPB since Captain Cook arrived - yet prawn style jigs are still the best way to land them - if their eye sight is that good - why do Port phillip bay anglers pay $30 to imitate a food source that doesnt exist in PPB.

Squid are dumber than you think ;-)

Return to “General”