Left Handed Fishos...

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
snapperslayer

Re: Left Handed Fishos...

Post by snapperslayer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:31 am

I cast with right and retrieve/wind with left, whatever that makes me. :)
Last edited by snapperslayer on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fishbref
Has liked: 41 times

Post by Fishbref » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:41 am

I thought the right (handed) way to do it was to hold the rod with the right and wind with the left; at least this is the default understanding in Europe, where I first cut me teefs...

Growlermz

Post by Growlermz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:48 am

Im Left handed when I wright and that's about all, cast right handed then switch hands to reel it in.
oh.. I also use a shovel left handed. that's all. Everything else is right handed

rowan588

Post by rowan588 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:00 pm

im right handed, but i find using my left is less awkward

Plas-Flicker

Post by Plas-Flicker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:16 pm

Right handed, learnt to cast with left for both spin and baitcaster so now can do either.
Tight lines = Good Times!

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:22 pm

This always comes up when im fishing with my mate. I reel in with my right hand and am forever switching the handle over on his reels. ( He reels with his left hand). He tells me that it's the proper way. If that is the case, why are all overhead reels set up for reeling with the right hand?
Cheers
The Tube

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:26 pm

tuna tube wrote:This always comes up when im fishing with my mate. I reel in with my right hand and am forever switching the handle over on his reels. ( He reels with his left hand). He tells me that it's the proper way. If that is the case, why are all overhead reels set up for reeling with the right hand?
That's something that always confused me, All The spinning reels i Buy have the handle on the left from the box but all my overhead/baitcaster's have the handle on the right.

I Cast With my right and reel with my right, I have never really tried fishing winding with my left, Might be going fishing today with any luck so i might try it.
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kenenjee

Post by kenenjee » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:59 pm

I've always thot that a right handed person ought to cast with the right hand and wind with the left. Strength and precision required somehow dictated that motion.
As for myself most of my fishing reels have been done for a left hander only becos my wife fishes along with me. Since wifey isn't too terribly inclined towards understanding a little more than casting and hauling in the rewards, I thot it better to do it this way. And rather than having half of our reels set for a leftie I decided that keeping all of them consistently leftie would make life a little sweeter for the both of us. I have since conditioned my mind to the things a leftie does. cheers.

Pelican

Post by Pelican » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:09 pm

Sometimes I like to hold my rod with my left hand, feels like someone else is doing it for me.

rowan588

Post by rowan588 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:44 pm

Pelican wrote:Sometimes I like to hold my rod with my left hand, feels like someone else is doing it for me.
theres a dirty joke in there i just cant seem to find it :icon_lolz:

Return to “General”