Swimming with ray's questions.

Forum for Snorkeling information around Melbourne.
AVG_Fisho

Swimming with ray's questions.

Post by AVG_Fisho » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:19 pm

With this warm Weather I've Decided to start Snorkeling again, I've allways love snorkeling over and around the reefs looking at the fish and such, and i haven't been swimming for that long that i Forgot alot of stuff.

I've Seen a few Rays around frankston beach, where ill go swimming abit, but what i really want to know is, How should i go about swimming with rays if one comes about, I'm Not going trying to find the to swim with them, but if one comes by i wanna know that i'm not going to scare/spook it off as i would like to swim and interact with one.
They swim near people alot at Frankston beach/pier so I'd Assume they would Not see humans as too much of a threat.

would they try sting me if i swam over one hiding in the sand?

Or Are they aggressive?
Should i Keep away from them?

I've seen a few vids and they seem pretty placid.

Is there stuff you should do to sort of show them you're not a threat?

I think they are Called Smooth rays that swim at frankston beach.

Just Trying to find out for peace of mind really, because i see them alot from the pier and dont want to be scared shitless when i'm swimming and i see one as i dont know much about them and what they are like.

I'm Faily confident in the water, and i Understand Im Swimming in their home.

I Wouldn't like it if someone walked into my home and started patting me lol.

Thanks In Advance Guys.
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shazdoggg

Re: Swimming with ray's questions.

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:26 pm

Stingrays are like giant puppy dogs!! Ive dived with them in fairly shallow water and they usually take off when they see you, unless you have some food on you. In which case they will gladly accept youre offerings(if your offering or not haha)! Ive fed them by hand before, but I wouldnt recomend it to everyone as they are a semi-dangerous animal. We all know how Mr Erwin met his demise, so lets no do things outside of our comfort zone. Im not responsible if anyone gets speared in the heart by a stingray barb! Just setting a precedent! :-D :thumbsup:

I dont encourage approaching one aggresively or spearing one!!! Treat them with respect and they will treat you the same! If you watch where your walking(its not hard ;) ) you wont step on one which is a quick start way to feel some excrucuiating pain(not from personal experience but from seeing a good friend agonise).
Last edited by shazdoggg on Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

AVG_Fisho

Post by AVG_Fisho » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:50 pm

shazdoggg wrote:Stingrays are like giant puppy dogs!! Ive dived with them in fairly water and they usually take off when they see you, unless you have some food on you. In which case they will gladly accept youre offerings(if your offering or not haha)! Ive fed them by hand before, but I wouldnt recomend it to everyone as they are a semi-dangerous animal. We all know how Mr Erwin met his demise, so lets no do things outside of our comfort zone. Im not responsible if anyone gets speared in the heart by a stingray barb! Just setting a precedent! :-D :thumbsup:

I dont encourage approaching one aggresively or spearing one!!! Treat them with respect and they will treat you the same! If you watch where your walking(its not hard ;) ) you wont step on one which is a quick start way to feel some excrucuiating pain(not from personal experience but from seeing a good friend agonise).
It's Not in my comfort zone but Not Completly out of it, just scared of the unknown, (To me)

And When I See One, Providing i have the courage to get close enough, I'll Just swim up to it slowly and if is swims away then i'll let it be.
Anything wrong with That?
Average Angling Adventures
With Specialty Fishing Products
http://www.facebook.com/average.angling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:55 pm

AVG_Fisho wrote:
shazdoggg wrote:Stingrays are like giant puppy dogs!! Ive dived with them in fairly water and they usually take off when they see you, unless you have some food on you. In which case they will gladly accept youre offerings(if your offering or not haha)! Ive fed them by hand before, but I wouldnt recomend it to everyone as they are a semi-dangerous animal. We all know how Mr Erwin met his demise, so lets no do things outside of our comfort zone. Im not responsible if anyone gets speared in the heart by a stingray barb! Just setting a precedent! :-D :thumbsup:

It's Not in my comfort zone but Not Completly out of it, just scared of the unknown, (To me)

And When I See One, Providing i have the courage to get close enough, I'll Just swim up to it slowly and if is swims away then i'll let it be.
Anything wrong with That?
The only times Ive been able to approach one without it backing away(no food on me) is in shallow rockpools on ocean beaches(cant give away spots sorry :bat: ). Cornering stingrays or threatening them is not to be encouraged(for your own safety as much as theirs)!!
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:01 am

rays are usually pretty friendly and will not attack you unless it has nowhere to run. even swimming on top of one (which I've done by accident so many times now) is still ok, as long as there's room for it to swim away in front, so don't be scared!

I've seen them hiding in caves under the rocks, they'll usually stay put and you can swim all the way up to them.

They are known to harass divers with food though. If you're carrying fish they will try to steal it. And what shazzdoggg said. Be nice to them and they will be nice to you.

I've never actually tried touching them before, but they usually swim away anyway so you'll never get within range unless you have food on you.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:54 am

i can see the OP covering himself in fish and jumping in for a swim lollllllll...
Be carefull whatever you do as everyone has said.
cheers

azkay

Post by azkay » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:01 am

I'm also under the impression that they're fine as long as they don't feel threatened or feel any unwelcome weight on their body..
Az.

biggar

Post by biggar » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:42 am

I've been swimming with them at anglesea. They are so tame they swim around your Legs and come check you out.
Angling is the name given to fishing by people that can't fish

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Here's an interesting article of a photographer's encounters with rays,
http://www.seafriends.org.nz/issues/res ... encounters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(skip down to "Other encounters" if you don't want to read all of it)

mattsoccerfish

Post by mattsoccerfish » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:33 pm

flinders-stingrays, whiting, squid, morwong. But water is very cold

Sunnyside- a lot of reef species, baby stingrays, cuttlefish, squid, leather jacket
Like this Facebook page for awesome fishing reports and photos!! :)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matthew- ... 5801189233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matthew- ... 5801189233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Snorkeling and diving around Melbourne”