Hawaiian Sling

Forum for Snorkeling information around Melbourne.
ScreamingReel

Hawaiian Sling

Post by ScreamingReel » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:22 pm

I don't usually post but enjoy reading others comments, so thought I might share.

Headed down to the rocks just off to the left of Williamstown Beach a few weeks ago for a snorkel since it was so hot. There were a nice variety of coral, seaweed, fish and other sea life to observe but nothing that would make you think of getting the rod out and throwing a line in until I swam over some of the reed beds and hidden amongst them was a god almighty flathead that had to be 60cm at a guess. It didn't notice me so I just observed and then gave flick of my fin to chase it out to get a better view of it. All that was going through my head was I wish I had some kind of spear.

Two days later I am down at Anaconda, after doing some research and iv'e bought myself an Hawaiian sling for $30. For anyone unfamiliar with it, it's essentially a two piece spear with four spikes on one end and a large rubber band on the other for using to help project the spear out. I have been out again but as luck would have it, I was merely an observer floating around looking at the smaller snapper, whiting, garfish and others that were keeping their distance and undersized. However with some persistence and more time in the water I'll have something to show for it. I'll post again if and when I manage to snag my first fish.

For any of you more adventurous lot that are reasonable to good swimmers it's well worth getting some fins, and a snorkel set and if you have a wetsuit it certainly helps given we are getting cooler.

Cheers

:shark:

ncr1

Re: Hawaiian Sling

Post by ncr1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:07 pm

Yep, cruising up on a big flathead in the shallows certainly gets the heart pumping. I still have very fond memories spearfishing in the shallows at Mt Eliza as a kid. Most of the time we didn't get much, but geez it was exciting when every now and again we would spear a big flattie. Our best would have probably been 1.5-2kg had we weighed it.

Joker91
Has liked: 111 times

Post by Joker91 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:12 pm

Never really gave much thought to snorkeling but sounds interesting. Might have to gear up for it one day and try it. Good luck finding that flat head but hopefully you find a even bigger one :D

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:53 pm

I went for a snorkel around Hampton a few weeks ago. Had a large school of salmon underneath me and quite a few small pinkies. One of the pinkies would have easily been 1-1.5kg and was quite happy for me to be swimming above him. He would have been dinner if I had a spear.

This was all in under 2 meters of water.
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Donuts Macgee

Post by Donuts Macgee » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:12 pm

Plenty of great snorkelling around Sandringham, wherever you can find a rocky reef. I regularly spot rays, pinkies and salmon sometimes, and flattys maybe one in ten times. Great fun. The fish have all been too fast for my sling so far, but with some more stalking practise, I'll get one sooner or later.

smoken

Post by smoken » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:22 pm

I remember trying to use a Hawaiian sling at the beach at Half Moon Bay many years ago. I could see the fish, but could not get anyway near them with the range on those things.

Rogue_Hunter

Post by Rogue_Hunter » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:26 pm

Dont forget your flag!

ScreamingReel

Post by ScreamingReel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:48 pm

I should probably add that post my initially Hawaiian sling purchase, I got myself fully kitted out and have been spearfishing since. It's awesome fun if don't mind getting in the water, however it's not something that you can do all year round in Melbourne, especially the bay. Temps drop off really fast and even in a 5mm wet suit it's freezing after a little while in the water. I think the water temp dropped to 10 deg last year and likely the same again this year.

Otherwise, I have speared snapper, leather jackets, flatties, goat fish and more...great getting out even if it is just for the exercise and

I am planning more trips on the back beaches and down the coast from spring onwards.

The Hawaiian sling is tough work for a beginner as you really need to be confident and know what you doing unless there are some lazy flatties or flounder around.

Return to “Snorkeling and diving around Melbourne”