Fishing with bubble floats...for trout.

Mutley and Scruffy

Re: Fishing with bubble floats...for trout.

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:49 pm

barra mick wrote:.............................................................................

I grease the line but never have a weight btw the float and bait.....................
Stupid question but after you grease the line, at the end of the day, can you just wipe the 'grease' off? As in, the line doesn't retain its floatiness for days after application does it? I have the Muslin (from memory this is what it is called) product...and now it is going to be float fishing for natives! Never had a decent go the couple times we went to Bonnie Doon, wind was crap!
cheers
Jim

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:12 pm

It's easy to "degrease" your line.

Just have a sponge or cloth which has a bit of washing up liquid on it and retrieve your line through the cloth.
:)

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:55 pm

If you use braid then you wont need to ue line floatant, are you fishing mudeye? if so then you will need to use size 12 daichi hooks, don't worry about them being too small, they will catch you huge fish without breaking, 4lb line is more than enough and just a small piece of polystyrine as a stopper will do, but I would use a Waggler float if you can get them

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:43 pm

Jim,never washed flotant off my line,ever, why would you bother?
Go out the next day n put more on.
, you want the line floating on top of the water for trout,the important thing is to get your dropper length right,as previously dis cussed many times.
Never actively fished for natives under a bubble but why wouldn,t it work ? Again, it get,s back to right depth and being in the right spot, As always!
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:55 pm

Thanks for the replies
Blue wrote:Jim,never washed flotant off my line,ever, why would you bother?
Go out the next day n put more on.
...........................................................................................................................
Never actively fished for natives under a bubble but why wouldn,t it work ? Again.................
I don't have a dedicated rod/reel for the purpose. I may try bubble floating for an hour then change over to casting lures. Just wondered if it would be an issue then. As for natives, I am sure it will work and will allow me to fish one spot I normally avoid. This particular channel has a rock bed at one spot. Cast bait with sinker into it and most times you get snagged and loose the rig. The odd time I did manage to avoid snags I would get good bites...but would give up after trying a few different things. Using floats when the channel was flowing was pointless (to me anyway) as I would have to cast every couple minutes. Channel is off now...only issue will be how low it is as I may not have good bank access and therefore will struggle getting any decent size fish in (Dave the cod slayer( and releaser) has got them up to nearly 70cm's). If it is too low, I will not fish it. Should get out there this week to try.
fishpod wrote:If you use braid then you wont need to ue line floatant, are you fishing mudeye? if so then you will need to use size 12 daichi hooks, don't worry about them being too small, they will catch you huge fish without breaking, 4lb line is more than enough and just a small piece of polystyrine as a stopper will do, but I would use a Waggler float if you can get them
Chasing natives! So no mudeye or 4 lb line or size 12 hooks! Mind you, will only use about 10 lb line as it is open water with little or no snags. Possible carp or redfin in there as well so will use a hook around 1 or 1/0...loaded with worms!

Not likely to worry about partly filling the float with water either. It alone will give me enough weight to get it out the short distance required.
cheers
Jim

fishpod

Post by fishpod » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:52 pm

N worres, just that the heading says "for trout". If using them for natives then don't fill with water because the scrubbies or yabbies should weigh enugh

Mutley and Scruffy

Post by Mutley and Scruffy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:23 pm

That was fun! Winds around 30 - 40 km/hr! Water quality was good and still reasonably high...with some water tipping over the regulator. Everything going wrong whilst getting ready...lean rod against car, hook blows back and gets stuck in between side mirror and its casing! Remove hook from mirror, stick hook into finger! Things blowing away...on and on it went until I got a line in.

As I was fishing for natives I used circle hooks. This meant I would not be striking at any bites so I am not even sure how that will work with a float...shouldn't be a problem I guess. Was getting a good drift with the float down the centre of the channel so I was happy with that...until I started to get snags! Obviously too much slack line out which would allow the baited hook to sink! Thinking I have to keep the float at a maximum distance downwind with tight line to prevent the bait sinking.

Lost some bait but it may have been on a snag...rod was continually moving in the wind and I decided I would not bother unless it buckled over. So, after all these problems what can I say...I love it! Will be using floats in the future when I can!
cheers
Jim

barra mick
Has liked: 26 times

Post by barra mick » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:43 pm

Float fishing a great way to fish
you gotta hav a crack even if yr just pissin in the wind

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:51 pm

I agree! I love it as well. Watching the float go down :thumbsup:

MattKing

Post by MattKing » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:53 pm

I've not done much trout fishing for a while, but heading up to Eildon early may, and I'm keen to try some float fishing for trout, in both the pondage and rivers.

As a kid, I did my trout fishing apprenticeship with bubble floats in small streams in summer, using grasshoppers for bait, My dad would fly fish and I would float fish. He taught me a lot about stream craft and so on .. after a few years I progressed to fly fishing. I have mostly fished in streams for trout. My understanding of trout is that at times they will be rising to feed, and at other times they will be below. It's interesting to read the different viewpoints on float rigs here, I think it would pay to be adaptable and rig to fish with bait on or near the surface and also rig with bait below if nothing is happening with the other method ... trout are so fickle at times ...

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”