Tackle Tray organisation

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Tackle Tray organisation

Post by mazman » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:06 pm

Hi guys, Just recently I've started trying to clean up my gear and make it a bit neater. Just looking for ideas on how you organise your trays and wether you use multiple smaller trays or less larger trays. Especially interested in Lures, squid jigs and Jigheads but a few ideas for the bait side of thing would be great.

Cheers Alex
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Re: Tackle Tray organisation

Post by cobby » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:18 pm

3700 Plano trays and a label maker

kaotay

Post by kaotay » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:38 pm

I'm no expert but a couple of things I do for my landbased tacklebag are:
- I keep new hooks in their packets to keep them away from salt/air and for ease of identification. I reserve a pocket of my fishing bag just for hook packets, bundle them together with a rubber band
- used hooks go in a separate box, never with new hooks. I keep lures and jigheads in this box too. Actually I rarely keep used hooks in the tackle box, they will usually stay on the rig, which gets wrapped around a length of pool noodle.
- sinkers go in a separate box, never with hooks as they're heavy and can blunt your hooks with movement
- squid jigs go in their own box, top and tail them and you can fit quite a few in. (always put sharp ends away from each other to preserve the cloth wrapping) I have one of those boxes that opens on 2 sides, dark jigs in one side and light coloured jigs in the other. I use the Black magic jig box, which has small holes to allow the jigs to dry out if they're wet/damp. When swapping jigs, don't put them back in the box straight away, leave them out to dry a little first. They'll last longer.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:51 pm

I'll just add that I've found wrapping rigs around a square of cardboard with a small notch cut in either end works really well. They store flat, and the hook tips can be pushed into the corrugations at each end to keep them out of the way.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Post by Redhunter » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:54 pm

Umm...not sure I can answer this one in a "sane" manner...

I have a separate tackle bag containing several tackle boxes for :
- General freshwater
- Natives
- General Saltwater
Sinkers are kept in tupperware containers, depending on their size.
Game lures are kept in tupperware containers as well.
...and 2x bumbags to choose from for when I'm on foot or a decent hike is required.

Am I an addict?? Hell yeah!!

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:04 pm

I have a few boxes of hooks which i mix and match depending on where i'm going, same with sinkers. Each has swivels in it as well.

Lures, I have a few boxes, One for slugs, one for squid jigs, one for jig heads, one for plastics, two for hardbodies (saltwater) and probably 4 for freshwater. All of this sits in a 55 litre tub in my boot along with assorted leader, pliers, clippers, severl lengths of multi purpose rope and two landing nets.

I keep two back backs, a little day bag and a big overnighter. I grab whatever tackle box is suitable to the fishing i'm doing and the smallest bag that will fit it all in.

I lasso my rods together on a strap i can wear over my shoulder if walking far. Not having to carry anything in your hands makes getting in and out of the places i like to fish infinitely easier.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:05 pm

^ obviously this isn't going to work for someone who can't just leave all their gear in the car.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

mazman

Post by mazman » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:28 pm

As it stands I have my bream lures in one box, Trout gear in another box, Squid in another (bit cramped and organised i think i need one of those double sided boxes) a box of larger hard bodies and a box of jigheads
For my bait gear I have two boxes and they're really messy and a mix of hooks,sinkers, swivels and beads.

My jighead box
Currently my Bream and trout gear are close to a standard like this but everything else is really messy and needs changed every time I go somewhere where i need a different mix of gear

Cheers Alex

mazman

Post by mazman » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:31 pm

and I also use pretied rigs wrapped around cardboard works a treat.
Thanks for the advice so far think i'll have to separate out my hooks and sinkers into different boxes/containers

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:37 pm

I do the following some things are broken into trays - squid jigs, sinkers, lures - hardbody, soft plastics, metals and freshwater. Predone rigs are all put into a CD / DVD case generally will have a couple of each type, some paternosta, some running, different sized hooks on the predone rigs - cater for the things I target. Then i have an everyday / generic use tray with some hooks, sinkers, swivels, a couple of lures - metal, vibe, soft plastic, hardbody incase a school of salmon pop by etc

All other terminal tackle / spares are put into bags and boxed away. So its pick and choose before I go out. But generally it will be the everyday tray for bait fishing with some squid jigs.

Have a backpack with leader, pliers, floats and just add the above to what I'm doing.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”