Rod holder dilemma!

robbo101

Rod holder dilemma!

Post by robbo101 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:50 pm

So I am looking for another pair of rod holders for my boat. I currently have a pair of snapper racks and 2 berkley "quick set" holders. but I don't really like them. I always back off the drag when I use them in fear of a rod going over the edge.
I was thinking of buying some berkley classic boat holders just so I could move them around from one rail mount to another. But again I'm not convinced on the quality. does anyone use these and are they any good?
If anyone could please recommend a good quality holder of similar style and also if any of the styles fit into any other brand mounts that would be great?
Cheers.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Rod holder dilemma!

Post by Nude up » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:23 pm

I had them on my first boat I take it you have 3 ways at the back of the boat and you use the berkley ones half way from the transom to the helm. I had no problems with them they have a clip at the front that you rotate and lock the rod in but it made it difficult to get the rod out in a hurry I never used it. Your rod would secure as any other rod holdet

Mishachief

Post by Mishachief » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:30 am

if you really worry about a rod going overboard from the holder... perhaps attach lanyard with carabiner clips to the reel handles... never loose one then
♥♥♥ Life's a Beach, So Go Fishing! ♥♥♥

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:22 am

Mishachief wrote:if you really worry about a rod going overboard from the holder... perhaps attach lanyard with carabiner clips to the reel handles... never loose one then
Ocky straps work well too, I use those on jetties where my rod holders won't work to stop the stingrays nicking off with my rod.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Mishachief

Post by Mishachief » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:28 am

thats ok.. when i was at san remo recently.. i cast out.. my hooks grabbing the rod to the back/side of me.. and near throwing one of my fav rods and brand new reel into the big drink.. the rod landed balancing the edge of the pier..

if it did topple over.. i was lucky to have the big birds nets connectign the rods.. as a back up..lol
♥♥♥ Life's a Beach, So Go Fishing! ♥♥♥

brycieboy

Post by brycieboy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:00 pm

if it is rail mount what about these ones?

http://www.boathardware.com.au/Rod-Hold ... Steel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i have them on my boat and they are good. just make sure the clamp bolt is tight. and watch out cause if its like my boat they hang over the side a little... the jetty has cost me 2 sofar....

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:32 pm

4liters wrote:
Mishachief wrote:if you really worry about a rod going overboard from the holder... perhaps attach lanyard with carabiner clips to the reel handles... never loose one then
Ocky straps work well too, I use those on jetties where my rod holders won't work to stop the stingrays nicking off with my rod.
I got to work out how to do this on the sand. I've had many close cases but last week I heard the bells, saw the rod and holder go over and the next thing you know it was all skiing off into the dark abyss of Western Port Bay. :whoh: :wall:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:45 pm

Rob1 wrote:
4liters wrote:
I got to work out how to do this on the sand. I've had many close cases but last week I heard the bells, saw the rod and holder go over and the next thing you know it was all skiing off into the dark abyss of Western Port Bay. :whoh: :wall:
Maybe get one of those big tent pegs designed for sand and stick it in at an angle away from the water just behind your rod holder, and attach a strap to that?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:54 pm

4liters wrote:
Rob1 wrote:
4liters wrote:
Maybe get one of those big tent pegs designed for sand and stick it in at an angle away from the water just behind your rod holder, and attach a strap to that?
Will give it a shot. It wont be happening again, that's for sure..........I wish I could be.

robbo101

Post by robbo101 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:00 pm

Thanks everyone, given me something to think about.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”