Unwelcome Surprises

meppstas
Has liked: 903 times

Re: Unwelcome Surprises

Post by meppstas » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:44 am

With the Mepps spinners check to see if they're from the USA (Wisconsan) or from France. I've heard several complaints about the sticker peeling and these were from spinners that had been stored for too long and also been in the sun (shop windows etc). Stickers have been used on the Mepps spinners for many, many years. I've used them for well over 50 years and had a lot of success with them and as for the stickers I've never had a problem with them. I usually wear the spinner out first and mine come from France. As for the Celta's which used to be made in France, well they're now produced in China and there has been a lot of problems with the blade not spinning. I tweek my lures by flattening the blade a little. Go to http://www.mepps.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and check out the site as there is a video clip on it on how they are assembled and how they work in the water. They are still assembled by hand and are still a good quality spinner, I have caught 87 trout on the one little #00 black fury before I had to retire it. Most spinners that are painted are usually baked and that does eventually give way in the end too.

cheers
Adrian
'' Brand Ambassador for Mepps Lures in Australia '' Tackle Tactics, Okuma, Mepps & Platypus lines Pro Team Member

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClk58e ... m8yelCSKCw

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:57 pm

meppstas wrote:With the Mepps spinners check to see if they're from the USA (Wisconsan) or from France......
Is this marked on the packaging Adrian or the lure itself?
I had a closer look at the Mepps 'dressed' spinners I had at home. Originally on first inspection I thought the blades were painted. On closer inspection I noticed that they appear to be stickers. This surprised me. However, it wont stop me from purchasing this type again. No lures last me a long time as I do not have the ability to get into shallow rivers to retrieve snagged lures...so bust them off eventually.
meppstas wrote:..........................I've heard several complaints about the sticker peeling and these were from spinners that had been stored for too long and also been in the sun (shop windows etc). Stickers have been used on the Mepps spinners for many, many years. I've used them for well over 50 years and had a lot of success with them and as for the stickers I've never had a problem with them.............................................................................
The problem is Adrian when I went into the local tackle store this morning, the majority of one particular type of Mepps spinners (bare hook) had peeling stickers. They looked rather ordinary sitting next to the Vibrax spinners, which I have never had a problem with. Especially when the Vibrax spinners were priced at one dollar less, the Mepps in this case are not very appealing! And regardless of where they are manufactured, the quality of these need to be improved. It is a simple decision for me when I go into this store if I was after spinners and was undecided, I am not going to spend my money on spinners that are 'peeling' off! Obviously the key is to get them early after manufacturing but if ordering online, you don't know what you are going to get.
On saying that, as I mentioned earlier, this won't stop me from purchasing the Mepps 'dressed' Black Fury spinners. From the small amount of time I have used them (and from seeing how well you do with Mepps in general), they are great and I will definitely lose them before any sticker problem can arise. Another spinner I am exited about is the Panther Martin 'dressed' spinners! 8-) When I lose the gazillion spinners I have now, I will use Panther Martins the most I think.
cheers
Jim

Edit. Answered my own question...the ones I have are assembled in the USA. It says it on the packet. They are not showing any signs of peeling.
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Rod Bender

Post by Rod Bender » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:58 pm

I had heard great things about the Daiwa TD Woofer lures on another forum several years ago...after the lures were discontinued. The fact they were discontinued should have told me something! They returned last year...apparently improved, so I went out and purchased 8 of them at $20 each! Four different colors and two of each thinking that Daiwa was a name I could trust. Tried them for the first time last night...what a let down! No action at slow speed...just glides through the water. Good action at high speed but not really what you want chasing natives. These lures will now be used by myself in shallow channels where you do not need to get any depth and with the main target being redfin! Don't think I will be buying anymore!
cheers
Jim

Edit. After posting this on a cod page on Fb, it appears it may be operator error! :)
Attachments
TD Woofer.jpg
TD Woofer.jpg (108.04 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”