Burley formulas and recipes

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Burley formulas and recipes

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:48 pm

My general purpose burley is chook pellets and tuna oil, but I always add some of the bait I'm using as well. For instance, if I've bought a bag of Cole banana prawns I'll peel them and remove the heads, and put the shells and the heads in the food processor (I have an old one specially for this purpose) and puree them into a paste. A typical selection of bait for me is prawns, whitebait, squid and pilchards, and I'll put some of the smaller whitebait, a couple of pillies, bits of squid (skin, wings etc) and the prawn scraps in the blender and turn it all into a paste that gets stirred into the chook pellets.

Why? My very unscientific and unverified reasoning is that by using some of the bait as burley I'm more likely to attract fish that are searching for, and are more likely to take the baits I have on offer. Also by turning them into a paste I reckon the fine particles of burley travel further and have a greater surface area to volume ratio to leak more scent into the water, but aren't big enough to actually feed the fish.

This mix either gets flung into the water with a spoon or chucked in a floating plastic cage, and in the cage with some rocks if I want it on the bottom.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Basti » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:24 pm

I've added old stale aquarium fish food to my burley mix (chook pellets. water and tuna oil) before and it seemed dynamite. i've no idea if it actually made a difference or whether the fish were just "on" that day but im not going to buy more fish food just to try again. too expensive.

edit: aiming at gars, but it brought in bay trout, tommy ruff and some trevs too

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:39 pm

While on a boat, your breakfast, lunch or dinner will make a good burley trail
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

poodoo
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poodoo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:57 pm

Fish-cador wrote:While on a boat, your breakfast, lunch or dinner will make a good burley trail
I'll remember to bring you along next time i'm on a boat.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Fish-cador wrote:While on a boat, your breakfast, lunch or dinner will make a good burley trail
Is there anything you recommend people eat beforehand to maximise their results?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:48 pm

4liters wrote:
Is there anything you recommend people eat beforehand to maximise their results?

Enough about burley being made up of what it was that you ate. The next person to mention it goes on a holiday.

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:41 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:Carp

(to be written)
Bread crumbs as base. All of the below ingredients I have had success with. Just add what you have on hand.
Turkish coffee
Maggots
Corn
Cut up worms
Aniseed
Coconut oil
Small pieces of bread
Small pieces of soft lollies

Kev209

Post by Kev209 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:50 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:Trout

(to be written)
Bread crumbs as a base add any of the below to the bread crumbs. I have had success with all listed
Strawberry essence
Vanilla essence
Maggots
Cut up worms
Corn
Coconut oil
Aniseed
Small bits of power bait

shazdoggg

Post by shazdoggg » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:13 pm

IMO BEST easy to obtain carp berley is KFC potato and gravy by itself or mixed with breadcrumbs. Bread slathered in potato and gravy is unresistable to carp in highly pressured waters!! Oil from the potato and gravy rise up to the to and forms a berley slick. OK the secret is out!! I used to fish corn and bread exclusively for carp but since every tom, **** and harriet is uses them, switching to bread rolled in potato and gravy and cast out unweighted. Now the secret is out I wonder how long till the metro carp wise up to it....
When I got time,
I wet a line cos Im a junkie,
been fishin since a kid,
I like it cos it numbs me..

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:26 pm

Fresh water
Chook pellets ground in a coffee grinder mixed with pollard tuna oil and aniseed or strawberry flavour, very fine when it hits the water creates a great cloud.

Whiting chook pellets tuna oil in a cage with loose pellets and shells pippi or mussel thrown in
Snapper I use sheep feed larger pellets $20 for a 20kg bag mixed with tuna oil and diced pilchard
I use multiple delivery systems secret weapon, burley cage and the spanish method,, manual

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”