Knife sharpener

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Knife sharpener

Post by ducky » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:03 am

G'day guys.

Don't know if this will help anyone but I figure it might hence the post.

Being a kid from Dandenong, I've always had a fixation with knives. The sharper and stabbier the better...

Nah, I've always done a bit of cooking, wanted to become a chef at one point (before I worked as a kitchen hand at the Lobster cave as a teenager, what a shitty thankless job) I learnt how to roughly use a stone and a steel and from them on I was the "sharpening guy" the poor sucker that gets asked to sharpen family members knives that look like they've been used to chop wood. I was never good at it but always got some sort of a result that was better then the "before" shot.

A few years ago when our cheap knives needed replacing I finally splashed out and bought a full range of victorinox knives. Hardly professional quality but definitely better then the regular wiltshire crap you get at department stores. These knives whilst excellent when new slowly lost their edge. Treated like gold at the start they now get thrown in the dishwasher. Used to cut anything and everything and are just generally disrespected.

The whole set of ~10 knives was blunt as all hell, the steel did nothing, they needed sharpening badly. I looked up prices of getting them professionally done, around $0.55c a cm. Or somewhere around $9-10 a knife.

I had stumbled across the lansky sharpening system a few years ago as you do on the interwebs, I went searching for it again. Found a few videos. Found them on ebay for $80us. Figured I had nothing to lose, give it a shot.

Well, it came yesterday. Despite some early misgivings with the brackets that once worked out was easy enough. Can I just say what an awesome little knife sharpener. It takes a bit of work. Around 5-10mins per knife but it makes them absolutely razor sharp. Most of the time was spent with the coarse stone creating the new edge.

I'll let the photo's and video do the talking. I did a quick before and after. Knife is a Victorinox Santouki. As you can see it was properly blunt. Within 10 mins you could shave with it.

Last edited by ducky on Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ducky

Re: Knife sharpener

Post by ducky » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:11 am

Heres a youtube video on how to use it too. This guy makes some pretty sweet videos too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlI5PaXsfOk

Definitely worth the cash anyway

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:03 am

ducky wrote:G'day guys.

Being a kid from Dandenong, I've always had a fixation with knives. The sharper and stabbier the better...
:a_goodjob: :icon_lolz:

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:07 am

That looks super sharp, thanks for sharing I think I'll have to get one in the future as blunt knives are a big pain.
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:13 am

I have the same sharpener it is pretty decent but these days I don't use it (stones wore out after years of use).

Certainly a good device and one to look at for anyone in the market.

These days I use the triangle sharpemaker from spyderco. Great stones and easy to use and keep a constant angle.

ducky

Post by ducky » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:12 pm

frozenpod wrote:I have the same sharpener it is pretty decent but these days I don't use it (stones wore out after years of use).

These days I use the triangle sharpemaker from spyderco. Great stones and easy to use and keep a constant angle.
Is yours the regular stones or the diamond? I bought the diamond stones hoping for this to not happen.

frozenpod

Post by frozenpod » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:43 pm

ducky wrote:
frozenpod wrote:I have the same sharpener it is pretty decent but these days I don't use it (stones wore out after years of use).

Is yours the regular stones or the diamond? I bought the diamond stones hoping for this to not happen.
I purchased the set about 10 years ago and if I remember correctly the courser and medium stones were diamond and the finer stones were ceramic.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm

Nothing wrong with Victorinox knives Ducky, one of my oldest mates from the uk is a butcher, and that is all he uses..
I use a diamond stone if I can be arsed..otherwise it's the little 3 wheel thing that works ok...looking at some ceramic stones now though, as the missus bought me a japanese knife last birthday...f***ing sharp, and tremendous quality steel. And being a chippie, I know good steel when I use it.

ducky

Post by ducky » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:39 pm

CarlG wrote:Nothing wrong with Victorinox knives Ducky, one of my oldest mates from the uk is a butcher, and that is all he uses..
I use a diamond stone if I can be arsed..otherwise it's the little 3 wheel thing that works ok...looking at some ceramic stones now though, as the missus bought me a japanese knife last birthday...f***ing sharp, and tremendous quality steel. And being a chippie, I know good steel when I use it.
Yeah they are work knives. Not fancy or anything but keep a good edge and a made of good enough steel. I love the fibrox handle on them.

ante552

Post by ante552 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:12 am

Great tool.. but the biggest catch to keeping a knife reasnobly sharp is all about the edge. If you look at most knives down the center (basically sharp end) they start as a V then bulk out ( { ) something like that what is best to do is have your knives looking (<) like that it gives a finer edge and all it needs is a few strokes with a steel and the edge becomes sharper it helps with cutting meat easiers less strain on arms. I know it sounds weird ill post a few picks of my knives to give a better understanding. Hope it helps out

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”