Float

Basti
Has liked: 15 times

Re: Float

Post by Basti » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:25 pm

pencil floats offer less resistance to a fish when it takes the bait. a rounder float can hold up a larger bait and usually used when the target fish isn't really finnicky; squid for example.

to rig, slide a float stopper on your main line, then your float and tie it off to a swivel. then take another bit of line (flourocarbon if you want) and tie it from the swiel to your hook. now the most important bit is the weight you add. get some splitshot and pinch it on the line below the float. you want to add enough to make the float sit upright in the water with just the tip showing out. too much weight and you won't float, too little and the fish will feel it or you won't see it move on a bite.

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:59 pm

Basti wrote:pencil floats offer less resistance to a fish when it takes the bait. a rounder float can hold up a larger bait and usually used when the target fish isn't really finnicky; squid for example.

to rig, slide a float stopper on your main line, then your float and tie it off to a swivel. then take another bit of line (flourocarbon if you want) and tie it from the swiel to your hook. now the most important bit is the weight you add. get some splitshot and pinch it on the line below the float. you want to add enough to make the float sit upright in the water with just the tip showing out. too much weight and you won't float, too little and the fish will feel it or you won't see it move on a bite.
Thanks heaps for the awesome advice! Will definitely get one in the future! Is it good for shore based fishing?

Kadmium

Post by Kadmium » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:09 am

A pencil float is great for situations where you do not want wind to affect the float. As the majority of the float sits in the water and only a small percentage sticks out it is much less prone to wind movement. Pencil floats are great for freshwater fishing etc or when you have a wind against tide situation. Normal floats can be great if you want the wind to help take your float further out. Pencil floats need to be 'tuned' for optimum performance.
Species Comp 16/17

Salt: KGW 36cm - Squid 35cm - Salmon 22cm - Flathead 34cm - EP 35cm - Total Salt 162cm

Fresh: Carp 55cm - Total Fresh 55cm

TOTAL : 217cm

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:12 pm

here is a easy setup grab a waggler float $2.50 a pkt of float stoppers $3.00 pkt split shot $3.00 and small hooks price depending on your choice of hook place 1 float stopper on your line then float another float stopper tie on your hook to the line note the float stoppers you can move up and down your depending what depth you want to fish i allways have the stoppers snug next to the float so if you get a hit the float will move up/down sometimes sideways straight away now you need to add split shot on the line what you need is enough split shot so the tip of the float is just above the water float fishing is so much fun

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Attachments
IMG_0282.JPG

dazz999

Post by dazz999 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Attachments
IMG_0292.JPG

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Works great land based, and you dont need an expensive set up either.

My favourite land based gar combo is a $9 kmart special, with mono all the way through that came spooled on it. It bends like a noodle, so you can set the hooks easy without pulling them. Have caught heaps of gars at local piers with that set up. The best bit of mono all the way through, is if you get a tangle (Happens with gars and their pointy noses) you just slide you float up a bit further, tie on a new hook and some split shots, and you're fishing again.

Scraglor
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Scraglor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:06 pm

Scraglor wrote:Works great land based, and you dont need an expensive set up either.

My favourite land based gar combo is a $9 kmart special, with mono all the way through that came spooled on it. It bends like a noodle, so you can set the hooks easy without pulling them. Have caught heaps of gars at local piers with that set up. The best bit of mono all the way through, is if you get a tangle (Happens with gars and their pointy noses) you just slide you float up a bit further, tie on a new hook and some split shots, and you're fishing again.
As an aside, I changed to this combo from my stradic ci4+ and expensive plastics rod, out of circumstance, and I reckon my catch rate doubled. haha.

$9 combo worked heaps better for me in this application that my $500 one.

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:30 pm

dazz999 wrote:here is a easy setup grab a waggler float $2.50 a pkt of float stoppers $3.00 pkt split shot $3.00 and small hooks price depending on your choice of hook place 1 float stopper on your line then float another float stopper tie on your hook to the line note the float stoppers you can move up and down your depending what depth you want to fish i allways have the stoppers snug next to the float so if you get a hit the float will move up/down sometimes sideways straight away now you need to add split shot on the line what you need is enough split shot so the tip of the float is just above the water float fishing is so much fun
Thanks heaps mate!

donutcrooks

Post by donutcrooks » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:31 pm

That is absolutely crazy and looks delicious! I cannot wait until I catch and feast upon some Gar!!! :a_goodjob:

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”