Insurance

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Re: Insurance

Post by Redhunter » Fri May 26, 2017 8:56 pm

Wolly Bugger wrote:Who insures their gear and with whom do they insure.

As I plan to park my caravan in Portland for the coming season, I decided I better look into insuring my fishing gears, My boat and caravan are covered. Rather than go from one insurer to another I now have multiple policies with the RAVC.

I spent a fair while on the phone with a consultant, listing the reels and rods that I will be using, plus the others that weren't cheap to buy. I also listed the Black Magic harness as well.

The caravan is getting an annex added, so the insurance policy was updated to include that as well.
I'd strongly recommend not leaving your gear in the van, unless it has a vault.

Good topic though, as many of us have big bucks invested, and there's too many lowlife scumbags getting around itching for the chance to cash in on it.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:02 pm

You can grt blanket cover for item under 1k per item and only list things over 1 k to max of 4k It is cheaper this way.

So 3 game rod combo. Harmess. And lures covered under blanket cover etc

greggo
Has liked: 5 times

Post by greggo » Fri May 26, 2017 9:04 pm

Redhunter wrote:
greggo wrote:I got hit in my kayak by a rowing crew last year in the Yarra.
Was everyone wearing blindfolds? How does that happen mate?
It was a crew of 8 blokes, they were rowing backwards. I was sitting about a metre off a bridge pylon facing upstream with my back to them when they hit. I got smacked in the lower back by an oar, then another oar hit my shoulders which sent me overboard, rolling forwards and out of the yak. The yak rolled over and another oar smacked the fins on my mirage drive breaking part of it.

That's the second time I've been hit, four of my mates have been hit as well. It's just a matter of time before they cause a more serious collision.

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Fri May 26, 2017 9:31 pm

Redhunter wrote:
Wolly Bugger wrote:Who insures their gear and with whom do they insure.

As I plan to park my caravan in Portland for the coming season, I decided I better look into insuring my fishing gears, My boat and caravan are covered. Rather than go from one insurer to another I now have multiple policies with the RAVC.

I spent a fair while on the phone with a consultant, listing the reels and rods that I will be using, plus the others that weren't cheap to buy. I also listed the Black Magic harness as well.

The caravan is getting an annex added, so the insurance policy was updated to include that as well.
I'd strongly recommend not leaving your gear in the van, unless it has a vault.

Good topic though, as many of us have big bucks invested, and there's too many lowlife scumbags getting around itching for the chance to cash in on it.
If my boat had a lockable cabin then I could get my gear covered, however my boat does not have a lockable cabin and even if the gear is in the car it is not safe, I have heard of people loosing thousands of dollars of fishing gear from their car. Like one bloke parked his car on the threbo river, locked it, went for a walk heard the breaking of glass, ran back and by the time he got back his gear was gone, and the offenders had left the scene.

Even charter boats have had gear lifted from them whilst they have pulled up and tied up at the jetty. Even boats in secure moorings are not safe, like a boat at Narooma (I think) lost it's game chair. Matt Cini recently lost the wheels off his boat trailer.

I have two dogs and unless you know them you are not going to go any where near my gear.

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:45 pm

First time i had stuff stolen from boat was parked at driveway at holiday house at bermagui. Have no lockable cabin. All covered.
2nd time. I had 3 rods and few other things stolen i layed down on the floor of the boat at the local supermarket.
Insurance covered no problems once they had a police report.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sat May 27, 2017 1:41 am

Best to individually list the pricey ones like Tiagra/Stella/Saltiga combos and just individually photograph the rest

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sat May 27, 2017 6:05 am

I think I will add one of those lockable cables and wrap it a few times around the rods and reels, it may not stop them, but it will slow them down. It is really difficult to carry a large bundle of rods and reels, especially the combined weight of the tiagras also makes it very heavy,

smile0784

Post by smile0784 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:26 am

cobby wrote:Best to individually list the pricey ones like Tiagra/Stella/Saltiga combos and just individually photograph the rest
Have to have proof of ownership. A photo works. That what i use. I have pics of the rods in the rod racks.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”